independent and unofficial
Prince fan community site
Wed 20th Mar 2019 2:22am
Welcome! Sign up or enter username and password to remember me
Forum jump
Forums > Prince: Music and More > Hang on a minute: Prince plays 'In a Large Room With No Light' live and no one's talkin about it?
« Previous topic  Next topic »
Page 1 of 2 12>
  New topic   Printable     (Log in to 'subscribe' to this topic)
Author

Tweet     Share

Message
Thread started 04/04/09 1:04am

BoySimon

Hang on a minute: Prince plays 'In a Large Room With No Light' live and no one's talkin about it?

What the fuck has gone wrong with the Prince fan community? I would give all my testicles and some of the testicles of my friends to hear Prince play this song live and all we get is a bunch of 'journalists' who have no clue AND NO response from the ORG - which should be positively orgasmic at the thought of such a song being played live... will it be on the website? is Prince getting more casual about what's in the vault? Can we expect a Crystal Ball II?

What the fucks wrong with this site!? IN A LARGE ROOM WITH NO LIGHT and this place is not off the scale?

Call yourselves fans?
  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #1 posted 04/04/09 1:10am

japanrocks

I sharted when I heard that too. I think you can find some reviews somewhere maybe in the concerts forum.....gotta search though.
  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #2 posted 04/04/09 1:12am

SquirrelMeat

avatar

BoySimon said:

What the fuck has gone wrong with the Prince fan community? I would give all my testicles and some of the testicles of my friends to hear Prince play this song live and all we get is a bunch of 'journalists' who have no clue AND NO response from the ORG - which should be positively orgasmic at the thought of such a song being played live... will it be on the website? is Prince getting more casual about what's in the vault? Can we expect a Crystal Ball II?

What the fucks wrong with this site!? IN A LARGE ROOM WITH NO LIGHT and this place is not off the scale?

Call yourselves fans?


I think its a case of a large change in the fan base.

Prince sueing his fans, coupled with his weaker output has seen an exodus of the long term fans.

In their place is a new majority of fans and fams who have more knowledge of pictures of his ass than his output of music.

Its been very evident post 2004.

Its been very evident on the org since the official forums closed. There was a mass migration of fam worshippers who had no home to go to.


.
[Edited 4/4/09 1:17am]
.
  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #3 posted 04/04/09 1:17am

Whitnail

avatar

BoySimon said:

What the fuck has gone wrong with the Prince fan community? I would give all my testicles and some of the testicles of my friends to hear Prince play this song live and all we get is a bunch of 'journalists' who have no clue AND NO response from the ORG - which should be positively orgasmic at the thought of such a song being played live... will it be on the website? is Prince getting more casual about what's in the vault? Can we expect a Crystal Ball II?

What the fucks wrong with this site!? IN A LARGE ROOM WITH NO LIGHT and this place is not off the scale?

Call yourselves fans?



Odd you say this, i saw the setlist yesterday to that show, plus a "wonderful" thread over at concerts called It was awful (describing the actual show) or something. When I saw that he had played this song, I was abit confused, like normally, especially here at the org, at least there would have been an entire sticky thread dedicated to it...oh well, lets just hope this is not a one off
If it were not for insanity, I would be sane.

"True to his status as the last enigma in music, Prince crashed into London this week in a ball of confusion" The Times 2014
  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #4 posted 04/04/09 1:25am

SquirrelMeat

avatar

Whitnail said:

...oh well, lets just hope this is not a one off


I doubt it.

When you have a fan on another thread with over 7000 posts, but has to ask if there was a Camille album, you know the dynamics have changed!

I don't mean that in as an attack on that fan, its just a sign o the times.
.
  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #5 posted 04/04/09 1:41am

chopingard

SquirrelMeat said:

BoySimon said:

What the fuck has gone wrong with the Prince fan community? I would give all my testicles and some of the testicles of my friends to hear Prince play this song live and all we get is a bunch of 'journalists' who have no clue AND NO response from the ORG - which should be positively orgasmic at the thought of such a song being played live... will it be on the website? is Prince getting more casual about what's in the vault? Can we expect a Crystal Ball II?

What the fucks wrong with this site!? IN A LARGE ROOM WITH NO LIGHT and this place is not off the scale?

Call yourselves fans?


I think its a case of a large change in the fan base.

Prince sueing his fans, coupled with his weaker output has seen an exodus of the long term fans.

In their place is a new majority of fans and fams who have more knowledge of pictures of his ass than his output of music.

Its been very evident post 2004.

Its been very evident on the org since the official forums closed. There was a mass migration of fam worshippers who had no home to go to.


.
[Edited 4/4/09 1:17am]


Majority really you think?

I'm not so sure

I think as a test you should put up a Lovesexy appreciation thread and a princes ass appreciation thread just to test your theory

Either way it would be interesting to see
  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #6 posted 04/04/09 1:41am

BoySimon

Hey, you know... I was coming off all angry and aggresive and stuff... but come on... for Prince to play this song live; for Prince to play it live as a way to launch a new album; for Prince to play it live when he's not played misuc like this since... oh, forever....

I cannot place into words my disappointment that this site hasn't errupted with praise, wonder, awe, incredulity, lack of breath... etc...

It's IN A LARGE ROOM WITH NO LIGHT for my wholesome goodness sake.

Come on, Prince.org... be about Prince for once.
  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #7 posted 04/04/09 1:45am

Moonbeam

avatar

The org DID flip out about it! It really whets the appetite for more unreleased gems to be set free. There have been a number of threads speculating that the rumored 10 albums of outtakes through the website may come to fruition. Here's top hoping!
Feel free to join in the Prince Album Poll 2018! Let'a celebrate his legacy by counting down the most beloved Prince albums, as decided by you!
  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #8 posted 04/04/09 1:48am

punkofthemonth

avatar

fuck talkin' about it, i wanna hear the shit, ASAP foodnow pray lol
life's a bitch, but god forbid the bitch divorce me...

- nas
  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #9 posted 04/04/09 1:58am

Shango

avatar

http://prince.org/msg/7/302811

PEJ said:

another review by rdhull:

"...So after that ‘poignant’ performance that needs to be in gods hands, he has the nerve to have the band start up, grabs that metal maraca thingy or doo-dad or whatchamacallit (remember that candy bar? I made a rap about that in 1980 but that’s another story), and begins singing “Lana drew a picture in school 2day, one that made her mother cry . A picture of a woman with a drink in her hand…” I said Large Room No Light. You have to be kidding me. And when he began singing these lyrics he had a happy smile to himself. He knew he was fucking with some of us. He just knew it. I was transfixed, elated, bedazzled but never bamboozled. Some watched , a precious few seemed familiar to the song, but it was like wanting to cry and shout out and also to watch and let it be sung. Let this song get out there. Let it be free…err..it was like seeing a unicorn. Yeah that. It was smoking pineapple express. Hearing and watching a unicorn. Some of us were elves in Legend watching the unicorn drink in the river before Darkness, the devil played by Tim Curry comes and makes the forest all gray, rainy and scary. But only a few of us saw the unicorn. Not everyone could see it. Prince put something in our drinks and fucked with our minds. If you were a casual fan you could not see the unicorn.....

So after seeing a unicorn, and disbelieving what we just witnessed,....
.. ..

Thanks to everyone who was there together for purple history."


snowflake

http://prince.org/msg/7/303023?&pg=1
  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #10 posted 04/04/09 2:32am

alexandernever
mind1999

avatar

like peeps have said, the dynamics and the demographics have changed.
(check your calanders people, the 1980's were a LOOONG TIME AGO !).
some of us DID xpress shock, surprise, joy and xcitement about it, and speculate about future vault goodies, but it ain't a bad thing that there r many fans who haven't been listening to crackly old tape recordings of early '80's out-takes and demo's, that they got 20 years ago ! (many with TOTALLY different 'titles' 2 the ones p gave them !). it will be just as cool 4 them 2 hear these tracks 4 the first time if/when they get put out there.
next stop 'moonbeam levels', 'roadhouse garden'.... wink
  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #11 posted 04/04/09 2:33am

P2daP

That night is one the greatest of my life! The concert was sooo unique. but when he did "in a large room with no light" i just went....



faint

I was right in front of him the whole time. I could see the glitter in his eye shadow lol. I just couldn't believe it. I don't what to say about it other then WOW. I mean he did "In a large room with no light" "When Eye Lay My Hands On U" and then sat a on wooded stool and sang "Journey 2 The Center of Your Heart" You just ended up going. faint It felt like a personal concert.
  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #12 posted 04/04/09 3:03am

Militant

avatar

moderator

I for one am hella amped and excited that he played it. But, because I wasn't there, it sort of doesn't feel.....real.

Wait till the boot comes out and I get to hear it. Then I'll be on some other shit!
  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #13 posted 04/04/09 3:11am

BoySimon

That description is just ... marvellous. It's beyond words that he did it, and beyond findin words that we have to record the moment we heard him do it.... The unicorm metaphor is SO apt it's untrue... thank you, thank you, thank you....

.... I need more.
  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #14 posted 04/04/09 3:23am

Shango

avatar

BoySimon said:

That description is just ... marvellous. It's beyond words that he did it, and beyond findin words that we have to record the moment we heard him do it.... The unicorm metaphor is SO apt it's untrue... thank you, thank you, thank you....

.... I need more.

thumbs up! ... and all i could find so far lol
  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #15 posted 04/04/09 3:31am

jimino1

the answer could possibly be....those who fronted up with $77 to get in the site, might have expected to hear or maybe even see some of the goings on last weekend..but no, we get a musicology tour clip, which while great, and hopefully is the tip of the iceberg, well....just kinda rubs me the wrong way...why have a site and not really do anything with it...the cds r out, the 'promo' shows have been and gone....and we're still not seeing anything 'new' as such...or even hearing anything 'old' from the vaults.....what is Prince waiting for?

I don't want to hurry them..but a good start would be making the site a lot quicker...it takes me 10 minutes just to enter the damn site after it's buffered in... and then there's the whole 'streaming' issues....this isn't 1995....things have progressed - and I'm the first to admit that my broadband connection isn't the fastest - but if you have to wait to just get in....arrghh..words fail me LOL

sorry thats off topic - back on topic- its great he's pulled that out of the vault to play live - I look forward to the bootleg - cos the way things are going, thats the only way we'll get to hear it....or maybe I should say - that'll be where we hear it first!
  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #16 posted 04/04/09 3:48am

Memnoch2000

When I read this tracklist on the org I first took it for an early April fool's joke.. eek
  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #17 posted 04/04/09 4:05am

pepper7

avatar

Shango said:

http://prince.org/msg/7/302811

PEJ said:

another review by rdhull:

"...So after that ‘poignant’ performance that needs to be in gods hands, he has the nerve to have the band start up, grabs that metal maraca thingy or doo-dad or whatchamacallit (remember that candy bar? I made a rap about that in 1980 but that’s another story), and begins singing “Lana drew a picture in school 2day, one that made her mother cry . A picture of a woman with a drink in her hand…” I said Large Room No Light. You have to be kidding me. And when he began singing these lyrics he had a happy smile to himself. He knew he was fucking with some of us. He just knew it. I was transfixed, elated, bedazzled but never bamboozled. Some watched , a precious few seemed familiar to the song, but it was like wanting to cry and shout out and also to watch and let it be sung. Let this song get out there. Let it be free…err..it was like seeing a unicorn. Yeah that. It was smoking pineapple express. Hearing and watching a unicorn. Some of us were elves in Legend watching the unicorn drink in the river before Darkness, the devil played by Tim Curry comes and makes the forest all gray, rainy and scary. But only a few of us saw the unicorn. Not everyone could see it. Prince put something in our drinks and fucked with our minds. If you were a casual fan you could not see the unicorn.....

So after seeing a unicorn, and disbelieving what we just witnessed,....
.. ..

Thanks to everyone who was there together for purple history."


snowflake

http://prince.org/msg/7/303023?&pg=1


I read this thread!

lol lol lol lol
Shut up already, damn.
  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #18 posted 04/04/09 5:29am

80spfantwp

avatar

well, I've been enjoying 'the ride' for close on 26yrs now and I havent commented yet.... why? Perhaps if i'd witnessed/ heard the prformance I could add a useful comment. Prob has been, imho, that the write ups of Prince's 3 performances seemed to focus on the sound issues and not the actual set lists.

Of course it's amazing Prince is playing 'large Room', and other previously bootlegged,unreleased gems. But unfortunately not many ppl in attendance have reviewed this particular performance.

Tell us how it was...full length? Rearranged/ true to original? Fan response?
  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #19 posted 04/04/09 5:54am

Genesia

avatar

Militant said:

I for one am hella amped and excited that he played it. But, because I wasn't there, it sort of doesn't feel.....real.

Wait till the boot comes out and I get to hear it. Then I'll be on some other shit!


nod
We don’t mourn artists because we knew them. We mourn them because they helped us know ourselves.
  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #20 posted 04/04/09 6:49am

CJBabyDaddy

avatar

Then there's the fact that the number of people with extensive collections of or access to ancient bootleg gems is much smaller than the obsessive members of the Ancient Bootleg Gem Club seem to appreciate. Most bootleg track titles bandied about here in this forum are mysterious obscurities to those of us who don't belong to the ABGC.
  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #21 posted 04/04/09 7:14am

Moonbeam

avatar

Genesia said:

Militant said:

I for one am hella amped and excited that he played it. But, because I wasn't there, it sort of doesn't feel.....real.

Wait till the boot comes out and I get to hear it. Then I'll be on some other shit!


nod


pray
Feel free to join in the Prince Album Poll 2018! Let'a celebrate his legacy by counting down the most beloved Prince albums, as decided by you!
  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #22 posted 04/04/09 7:15am

cblu

avatar

CJBabyDaddy said:

Then there's the fact that the number of people with extensive collections of or access to ancient bootleg gems is much smaller than the obsessive members of the Ancient Bootleg Gem Club seem to appreciate. Most bootleg track titles bandied about here in this forum are mysterious obscurities to those of us who don't belong to the ABGC.


They're not exactly "rare", nor are they anything new... Nor are they that hard to come by. neutral
Until I find the righteous one...
  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #23 posted 04/04/09 7:22am

bellanoche

80spfantwp said:

well, I've been enjoying 'the ride' for close on 26yrs now and I havent commented yet.... why? Perhaps if i'd witnessed/ heard the prformance I could add a useful comment. Prob has been, imho, that the write ups of Prince's 3 performances seemed to focus on the sound issues and not the actual set lists.

Of course it's amazing Prince is playing 'large Room', and other previously bootlegged,unreleased gems. But unfortunately not many ppl in attendance have reviewed this particular performance.

Tell us how it was...full length? Rearranged/ true to original? Fan response?


Check out the concerts forum. We were discussing it there last week. It was a truly historic night. The arrangment was wonderful, Prince handled the vocals and the "la la la's."

Actually, the Conga Room and Club Nokia shows were both fantastic. Seeing him do such random and rare music with some of the best musicians he has ever had was great. Also, the true fans at both shows just seemed to be in ectasy. I will never forget it. biggrin
perfection is a fallacy of the imagination...
  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #24 posted 04/04/09 7:23am

zucris

avatar

'In a Large Room With No Light' never hear it sad
Forever in my life...
  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #25 posted 04/04/09 7:45am

Close2u

I want to hear this

I kind of feel that way today sad
  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #26 posted 04/04/09 8:07am

TwiliteKid

avatar

I lost my mind when I saw this song on the setlist last Sunday. Ask my girlfriend: I think I frightened her a little.
  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #27 posted 04/04/09 8:23am

xlr8r

avatar

zucris said:

'In a Large Room With No Light' never hear it sad


Think of it as " The Revolution doing The 5th Dimension"
  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #28 posted 04/04/09 9:34am

JumpUpOnThe1

avatar

cblu said:

CJBabyDaddy said:

Then there's the fact that the number of people with extensive collections of or access to ancient bootleg gems is much smaller than the obsessive members of the Ancient Bootleg Gem Club seem to appreciate. Most bootleg track titles bandied about here in this forum are mysterious obscurities to those of us who don't belong to the ABGC.


They're not exactly "rare", nor are they anything new... Nor are they that hard to come by. neutral


Yes they are, actually.. relatively speaking. Some folks are just accustomed to acquiring them on a regular basis *somehow* and forget that most of the ticket buyers don't fiend enough to do the legwork..

to think.. *sniff* I was once like the ABGC...


martini
********************************************
...Ur standing in the epicenter, Let the shaking begin...
  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #29 posted 04/04/09 9:39am

JumpUpOnThe1

avatar

TwiliteKid said:

I lost my mind when I saw this song on the setlist last Sunday. Ask my girlfriend: I think I frightened her a little.


falloff

Was SO sad when I learned I'd missed this... one of those songs that you wish people who kinda like Prince knew about.

But I feel you a little. The morning of the shows, i'd just introduced my friend to Empty Room...she was like 'what is THAT???' but I'd never seen him play it before. At Conga I bent down to tell her "this is that song" and I could barely get it out, I was so stunned..
[Edited 4/4/09 9:41am]
********************************************
...Ur standing in the epicenter, Let the shaking begin...
  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Page 1 of 2 12>
  New topic   Printable     (Log in to 'subscribe' to this topic)
« Previous topic  Next topic »
Forums > Prince: Music and More > Hang on a minute: Prince plays 'In a Large Room With No Light' live and no one's talkin about it?