independent and unofficial
Prince fan community site
Thu 17th Jan 2019 7:17am
Welcome! Sign up or enter username and password to remember me
Forum jump
Forums > Prince: Music and More > I'm still waiting to see Cinnamon Girl on MTV or VH1
« Previous topic  Next topic »
Page 1 of 2 12>
  New topic   Printable     (Log in to 'subscribe' to this topic)
Author

Tweet     Share

Message
Thread started 01/07/05 9:48pm

NWF

avatar

I'm still waiting to see Cinnamon Girl on MTV or VH1

I guess I could keep waiting then. shrug


And yet Eminem can get away with his "Mosh" video, and that becomes a hit. And that track was even more direct than Prince's.

disbelief
[Edited 1/7/05 21:49pm]
NEW WAVE FOREVER: SLAVE TO THE WAVE FROM THE CRADLE TO THE GRAVE.
  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #1 posted 01/07/05 10:05pm

audience1

NWF said:

I guess I could keep waiting then. shrug


And yet Eminem can get away with his "Mosh" video, and that becomes a hit. And that track was even more direct than Prince's.

disbelief
[Edited 1/7/05 21:49pm]



I know why Eminem get so much airplay! Most just don't want to come out and say it, because it wouldn't be PC.
  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #2 posted 01/07/05 10:45pm

purplecam

avatar

I want to know why. Tell us audience1.
I'm not a fan of "old Prince". I'm not a fan of "new Prince". I'm just a fan of Prince. Simple as that
  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #3 posted 01/08/05 12:50am

Tonylover

yeh i havent seen it either, i live in australia and they rarely play any current prince music on the radio or show his clips mtv...

i swear 2 god australians are deprived..
  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #4 posted 01/08/05 8:52am

funkaholic1972

avatar

You can wait what you want, it ain't gonna happen anymore...
RIP Prince: thank U 4 a funky Time!
  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #5 posted 01/08/05 7:12pm

altavista

You're not missing much. It's a horrible song and a worse video. :blah:
Come here, babe.. yeah...
  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #6 posted 01/08/05 7:14pm

Sdldawn

purplecam said:

I want to know why. Tell us audience1.



yes, why don't you elaborate on what we dont wanna come out and say.





.
[Edited 1/8/05 19:14pm]
  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #7 posted 01/08/05 7:24pm

altavista

If you must see it.... confused

...it's available on the npgmc.com website. You can view about 12 videos from various artists there, including Cinnamon Girl.
Come here, babe.. yeah...
  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #8 posted 01/08/05 8:16pm

NEFRETIRI

Tonylover said:

yeh i havent seen it either, i live in australia and they rarely play any current prince music on the radio or show his clips mtv...

I swear 2 god australians are deprived..

I'm in Australia too and funnily enough I swear that VH1 is the only channel that plays new Prince videos. I have seen both musicology and cinnamon girl only on VH1.
  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #9 posted 01/08/05 8:24pm

GAPeach

hmm Does anyone really want to see this video anyway?

And why does Eminem get airplay? Because he's everything Prince is not; white, young, and hip hop? rolleyes
Our past has made us into who we will be in the future.

Peaches are sweet! nod
  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #10 posted 01/08/05 8:35pm

ABeautifulOne

avatar

Ok if yall get up early enough yall would see Cinnamon Girl on Mtv I saw it once and i was satisfied
  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #11 posted 01/08/05 8:58pm

altavista

Hate to be redundant, but.....

JUST GO THE THE NPGMC.COM WEBSITE TO CHECK OUT THE VIDEO. NO NEED TO CHECK THE TV SCHEDULE FOR ODD-HOUR VIEWING...

Just trying to be helpful, really I am..... lol
Come here, babe.. yeah...
  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #12 posted 01/09/05 4:46am

Tonylover

NEFRETIRI said:

Tonylover said:

yeh i havent seen it either, i live in australia and they rarely play any current prince music on the radio or show his clips mtv...

I swear 2 god australians are deprived..

I'm in Australia too and funnily enough I swear that VH1 is the only channel that plays new Prince videos. I have seen both musicology and cinnamon girl only on VH1.


LOL WELL UNFORTUNATELY I DO NOT HAVE VH1... AND I HAVE ONLY SEEN MUSICOLOGY ONCE ON VIDEO HITS..

(BY THE WAY THERE IS SOMETHING WRONG WITH MY COMP AND MY CAPS LOCK BUTTON IS NOT WORKING)...
  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #13 posted 01/09/05 5:07am

NEFRETIRI

Tonylover said:

NEFRETIRI said:


I'm in Australia too and funnily enough I swear that VH1 is the only channel that plays new Prince videos. I have seen both musicology and cinnamon girl only on VH1.


LOL WELL UNFORTUNATELY I DO NOT HAVE VH1... AND I HAVE ONLY SEEN MUSICOLOGY ONCE ON VIDEO HITS..

(BY THE WAY THERE IS SOMETHING WRONG WITH MY COMP AND MY CAPS LOCK BUTTON IS NOT WORKING)...

Wow I'm suprised that Video hits played it at all! Did the play the whole video??
  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #14 posted 01/09/05 9:43pm

Tonylover

NEFRETIRI said:

Tonylover said:



LOL WELL UNFORTUNATELY I DO NOT HAVE VH1... AND I HAVE ONLY SEEN MUSICOLOGY ONCE ON VIDEO HITS..

(BY THE WAY THERE IS SOMETHING WRONG WITH MY COMP AND MY CAPS LOCK BUTTON IS NOT WORKING)...

Wow I'm suprised that Video hits played it at all! Did the play the whole video??


yeh they did.. i was very surprised too.. however still havent seen cinnamon girl..damn video hits..
  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #15 posted 01/09/05 11:22pm

glazegirl

i've only seen it on vh1-classic during its "classic/current" program.
haven't seen it on regular vh1, though.
  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #16 posted 01/10/05 12:30am

Sdldawn

GAPeach said:

hmm Does anyone really want to see this video anyway?

And why does Eminem get airplay? Because he's everything Prince is not; white, young, and hip hop? rolleyes



Prince not white?


could'a fooled me..


lol
  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #17 posted 01/10/05 2:59pm

audience1

Sdldawn said:

purplecam said:

I want to know why. Tell us audience1.



yes, why don't you elaborate on what we dont wanna come out and say.





.
[Edited 1/8/05 19:14pm]



Sorry for the delay in returning my answer. First, I apologize if this offends anyone, but it's true - Eminem gets airplay not only because he has skills, but because he is white and has skills. This means that he will be accepted by the larger white audience more readily.

It also means that these so-called mainstream music critics will embrace him and annoint him a genius, while ignoring other rappers who are just as talented, if not more so. Rick Rubin said it well, when speaking about the Beastie Boys in the 1980's. He said that they could sing about drugs, violence, and whatever else they wanted because they weren't seen as threatening as other (black) rappers. I say this even though I love the Beasties, and have seen them in concert twice and even have demo tapes of them from 1982.

Listen, if Nas was white he would sale as much as Eminem. His talent is why he goes platinum, but if he were white he would sell more. Angry black men are more frightening to mainstream society than an angry white man (Eminem) who is considered to be just "one of us".

This is even one of the reasons why Cinnimon Girl didn't get any airplay on Hot AC stations. Yes the political message was one thing, but the color of the (angry) artist was another factor. Hot AC radio, which is close to mainstream, was frightened. If Eminem did a cover of CG, it would get significant airplay.

Yes there are exceptions, but not in the case of Eminem, when many of his listeners are white kids who love black culture but feel uncomfortable around black people.

Sorry, but you asked....
  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #18 posted 01/10/05 4:45pm

GAPeach

audience1 said:

Sdldawn said:




yes, why don't you elaborate on what we dont wanna come out and say.





.
[Edited 1/8/05 19:14pm]



Sorry for the delay in returning my answer. First, I apologize if this offends anyone, but it's true - Eminem gets airplay not only because he has skills, but because he is white and has skills. This means that he will be accepted by the larger white audience more readily.

It also means that these so-called mainstream music critics will embrace him and annoint him a genius, while ignoring other rappers who are just as talented, if not more so. Rick Rubin said it well, when speaking about the Beastie Boys in the 1980's. He said that they could sing about drugs, violence, and whatever else they wanted because they weren't seen as threatening as other (black) rappers. I say this even though I love the Beasties, and have seen them in concert twice and even have demo tapes of them from 1982.

Listen, if Nas was white he would sale as much as Eminem. His talent is why he goes platinum, but if he were white he would sell more. Angry black men are more frightening to mainstream society than an angry white man (Eminem) who is considered to be just "one of us".

This is even one of the reasons why Cinnimon Girl didn't get any airplay on Hot AC stations. Yes the political message was one thing, but the color of the (angry) artist was another factor. Hot AC radio, which is close to mainstream, was frightened. If Eminem did a cover of CG, it would get significant airplay.

Yes there are exceptions, but not in the case of Eminem, when many of his listeners are white kids who love black culture but feel uncomfortable around black people.

Sorry, but you asked....



hmmm The race card is being played once again. Being the open minded person that I am, I can see where you were trying to go with your statement. However, I have to disagree with you on some points. Is this REALLY why Cinnamon Girl has not been played? I honestly feel that it has nothing to do with race. I mean we are talking about Prince whose fan base covers races, gender, and generations. Maybe it's because the song is just ok, and the video (even though it had great graphics) was just ok. JMHO shrug
Our past has made us into who we will be in the future.

Peaches are sweet! nod
  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #19 posted 01/10/05 4:47pm

rudeboynpg

avatar

Dont hold your breath!
Neal Karlen: "His biggest and perhaps only fear was dying alone." prince "Don't u be another number 4 the undertaker" prince "Gotta tell the Truth ya'll" prince
  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #20 posted 01/10/05 5:34pm

269

Tonylover said:

yeh i havent seen it either, i live in australia and they rarely play any current prince music on the radio or show his clips mtv...

i swear 2 god australians are deprived..


HERE, HERE, total agreement with u
we got musicology clip and thats it
if ur with the NPGMC u can check the clip over there
why do they deprive us in Oz, what's with that????
we have to wait till Feb 2 for the PR special edition dvd and it was released Aug 04.....mmmmm not fair
WHY SHOULD I DO THAT, WHEN I CAN DO THIS
  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #21 posted 01/10/05 5:35pm

269

Tonylover said:

NEFRETIRI said:


Wow I'm suprised that Video hits played it at all! Did the play the whole video??


yeh they did.. i was very surprised too.. however still havent seen cinnamon girl..damn video hits..


u mean video shits...
WHY SHOULD I DO THAT, WHEN I CAN DO THIS
  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #22 posted 01/10/05 6:01pm

missfee

avatar

well guess you will be turning into a skeleton slowly before you see that video on either of those stations...
I will forever love and miss you...my sweet Prince.
  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #23 posted 01/10/05 7:00pm

Sdldawn

GAPeach said:

audience1 said:




Sorry for the delay in returning my answer. First, I apologize if this offends anyone, but it's true - Eminem gets airplay not only because he has skills, but because he is white and has skills. This means that he will be accepted by the larger white audience more readily.

It also means that these so-called mainstream music critics will embrace him and annoint him a genius, while ignoring other rappers who are just as talented, if not more so. Rick Rubin said it well, when speaking about the Beastie Boys in the 1980's. He said that they could sing about drugs, violence, and whatever else they wanted because they weren't seen as threatening as other (black) rappers. I say this even though I love the Beasties, and have seen them in concert twice and even have demo tapes of them from 1982.

Listen, if Nas was white he would sale as much as Eminem. His talent is why he goes platinum, but if he were white he would sell more. Angry black men are more frightening to mainstream society than an angry white man (Eminem) who is considered to be just "one of us".

This is even one of the reasons why Cinnimon Girl didn't get any airplay on Hot AC stations. Yes the political message was one thing, but the color of the (angry) artist was another factor. Hot AC radio, which is close to mainstream, was frightened. If Eminem did a cover of CG, it would get significant airplay.

Yes there are exceptions, but not in the case of Eminem, when many of his listeners are white kids who love black culture but feel uncomfortable around black people.

Sorry, but you asked....



hmmm The race card is being played once again. Being the open minded person that I am, I can see where you were trying to go with your statement. However, I have to disagree with you on some points. Is this REALLY why Cinnamon Girl has not been played? I honestly feel that it has nothing to do with race. I mean we are talking about Prince whose fan base covers races, gender, and generations. Maybe it's because the song is just ok, and the video (even though it had great graphics) was just ok. JMHO shrug




yup. have to agree on this comment.

tis true my friends...
  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #24 posted 01/10/05 9:46pm

Tonylover

269 said:

Tonylover said:

yeh i havent seen it either, i live in australia and they rarely play any current prince music on the radio or show his clips mtv...

i swear 2 god australians are deprived..


HERE, HERE, total agreement with u
we got musicology clip and thats it
if ur with the NPGMC u can check the clip over there
why do they deprive us in Oz, what's with that????
we have to wait till Feb 2 for the PR special edition dvd and it was released Aug 04.....mmmmm not fair



omg i am so surprised you even know when it is being released in australia.. i had know idea up untill now..thank god 4 u ..
do u know which stores will be selling it??? also is under the cherry moon (special edition) being released in oz any time soon??
australia is so slow when it comes to shipping products here from overseas...
it has been a staggering 5 months (just like you mentioned)..since the special edition dvds were released overseas.. how dare australia be that behind..
  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #25 posted 01/10/05 10:29pm

pennylover

avatar

Sdldawn said:

GAPeach said:




hmmm The race card is being played once again. Being the open minded person that I am, I can see where you were trying to go with your statement. However, I have to disagree with you on some points. Is this REALLY why Cinnamon Girl has not been played? I honestly feel that it has nothing to do with race. I mean we are talking about Prince whose fan base covers races, gender, and generations. Maybe it's because the song is just ok, and the video (even though it had great graphics) was just ok. JMHO shrug




yup. have to agree on this comment.

tis true my friends...

sad but true sad
  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #26 posted 01/11/05 12:48am

DavidEye

audience1 said:

Sdldawn said:




yes, why don't you elaborate on what we dont wanna come out and say.





.
[Edited 1/8/05 19:14pm]



Sorry for the delay in returning my answer. First, I apologize if this offends anyone, but it's true - Eminem gets airplay not only because he has skills, but because he is white and has skills. This means that he will be accepted by the larger white audience more readily.

It also means that these so-called mainstream music critics will embrace him and annoint him a genius, while ignoring other rappers who are just as talented, if not more so. Rick Rubin said it well, when speaking about the Beastie Boys in the 1980's. He said that they could sing about drugs, violence, and whatever else they wanted because they weren't seen as threatening as other (black) rappers. I say this even though I love the Beasties, and have seen them in concert twice and even have demo tapes of them from 1982.

Listen, if Nas was white he would sale as much as Eminem. His talent is why he goes platinum, but if he were white he would sell more. Angry black men are more frightening to mainstream society than an angry white man (Eminem) who is considered to be just "one of us".

This is even one of the reasons why Cinnimon Girl didn't get any airplay on Hot AC stations. Yes the political message was one thing, but the color of the (angry) artist was another factor. Hot AC radio, which is close to mainstream, was frightened. If Eminem did a cover of CG, it would get significant airplay.

Yes there are exceptions, but not in the case of Eminem, when many of his listeners are white kids who love black culture but feel uncomfortable around black people.

Sorry, but you asked....



You made some valid points.
  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #27 posted 01/11/05 2:29am

JC

avatar

GAPeach said:

audience1 said:




Sorry for the delay in returning my answer. First, I apologize if this offends anyone, but it's true - Eminem gets airplay not only because he has skills, but because he is white and has skills. This means that he will be accepted by the larger white audience more readily.

It also means that these so-called mainstream music critics will embrace him and annoint him a genius, while ignoring other rappers who are just as talented, if not more so. Rick Rubin said it well, when speaking about the Beastie Boys in the 1980's. He said that they could sing about drugs, violence, and whatever else they wanted because they weren't seen as threatening as other (black) rappers. I say this even though I love the Beasties, and have seen them in concert twice and even have demo tapes of them from 1982.

Listen, if Nas was white he would sale as much as Eminem. His talent is why he goes platinum, but if he were white he would sell more. Angry black men are more frightening to mainstream society than an angry white man (Eminem) who is considered to be just "one of us".

This is even one of the reasons why Cinnimon Girl didn't get any airplay on Hot AC stations. Yes the political message was one thing, but the color of the (angry) artist was another factor. Hot AC radio, which is close to mainstream, was frightened. If Eminem did a cover of CG, it would get significant airplay.

Yes there are exceptions, but not in the case of Eminem, when many of his listeners are white kids who love black culture but feel uncomfortable around black people.

Sorry, but you asked....



hmmm The race card is being played once again. Being the open minded person that I am, I can see where you were trying to go with your statement. However, I have to disagree with you on some points. Is this REALLY why Cinnamon Girl has not been played? I honestly feel that it has nothing to do with race. I mean we are talking about Prince whose fan base covers races, gender, and generations. Maybe it's because the song is just ok, and the video (even though it had great graphics) was just ok. JMHO shrug


or
maybe
the
song
sux
lips
  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #28 posted 01/12/05 7:13pm

269

Tonylover said:

269 said:



HERE, HERE, total agreement with u
we got musicology clip and thats it
if ur with the NPGMC u can check the clip over there
why do they deprive us in Oz, what's with that????
we have to wait till Feb 2 for the PR special edition dvd and it was released Aug 04.....mmmmm not fair



omg i am so surprised you even know when it is being released in australia.. i had know idea up untill now..thank god 4 u ..
do u know which stores will be selling it??? also is under the cherry moon (special edition) being released in oz any time soon??
australia is so slow when it comes to shipping products here from overseas...
it has been a staggering 5 months (just like you mentioned)..since the special
dvds were released overseas.. how dare australia be that behind..


UTCM is a special edition??? didn't know that one is a special edition, but all 3 are being released on Feb 2, call your local record store and they should have all of them on that date, JB HiFi in Melbourne will have them available on that date, yay about time.
WHY SHOULD I DO THAT, WHEN I CAN DO THIS
  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #29 posted 01/12/05 7:25pm

Green

avatar

Why wait for the distributors - just go to Amazon or something - even after the conversion to US dollars and postage costs I still got the dvds cheaper than I would pay retail in NZ.

Cinnamon Girl got shown quite a bit in NZ - probably because Keisha Castle-Hughes was in it... it even made the TV news in clips because of the "controversy"...
Call her green and the winter cannot fade her
  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Page 1 of 2 12>
  New topic   Printable     (Log in to 'subscribe' to this topic)
« Previous topic  Next topic »
Forums > Prince: Music and More > I'm still waiting to see Cinnamon Girl on MTV or VH1