independent and unofficial
Prince fan community site
Mon 19th Nov 2018 12:06pm
Welcome! Sign up or enter username and password to remember me
Forum jump
Forums > Associated artists & people > So......Mayte is planning a documentary
« Previous topic  Next topic »
Page 1 of 3 123>
  New topic   Printable     (Log in to 'subscribe' to this topic)
Author

Tweet     Share

Message
Thread started 07/15/18 3:10pm

ThatWhiteDude

So......Mayte is planning a documentary

Okay, so I watched that french interview again because I thought I heard that wrong the last time. Seems like she is planning on doing a documentary. confused

Now, I don't know what to think about this......I mean, if it's going to be about the music and she got the facts straight then I might watch it. But if it's becoming a documentary about her life with Prince.....then nope. Not interested.

But she didn't say what this docu will be about.......so yeah. My thoughts are split, on the one hand, I'll say she had a right to write the book but if she's doing a documentary with the story then that would be too much. Make the book, move on but don't milk it. rolleyes

So, what do you guys think and what kinda docu do you want to see? Here's the link to the interview:

http://www.schkopi.com/index.php/2018/06/news/interview-exclusive-de-mayte/

"Like books and BLACK LIVES, Albums still MATTER."
  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #1 posted 07/15/18 4:00pm

pinkcashmere23

I wondered about that as well. I'm not going to pass judgement on it until I know what she is planning. I think as you said, a documentary about her professional life with him and the music could be interesting if done right.

  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #2 posted 07/15/18 4:41pm

PennyPurple

avatar

I really just wish all of them would just move on. Get back with their own life and move forward, do their own thing, not Prince's. Time is short they need to get back to spending it with their family and watching them grow. Stop screwing with the fans emotions.

  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #3 posted 07/15/18 4:52pm

ThatWhiteDude

PennyPurple said:

I really just wish all of them would just move on. Get back with their own life and move forward, do their own thing, not Prince's. Time is short they need to get back to spending it with their family and watching them grow. Stop screwing with the fans emotions.

To me it depends on what the docu's going to be about. If it's about the music and only the music then I don't care who makes it. What I really don't want to see is anyone making it about themselves (and telling her story with him would be exactly this and honestly, if people want to know about that, they can buy the book, no one needs and more importantly, wants a docu about that) so, I'm just waiting for the details. confused

But I also think she should just stop and don't do anything else besides the book. Because the book already stirred up the haters.....she definitely ain't doing herself a favour.

"Like books and BLACK LIVES, Albums still MATTER."
  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #4 posted 07/15/18 4:55pm

ThatWhiteDude

pinkcashmere23 said:

I wondered about that as well. I'm not going to pass judgement on it until I know what she is planning. I think as you said, a documentary about her professional life with him and the music could be interesting if done right.

Yeah, I'm trying my best not to pass any judgement. Like, a docu isn't a bad thing if it's done right. But I'm afraid she might do one about her story with him, trying to milk the book.

I still kind of like her BUT if she's going to milk the book, well....... neutral

"Like books and BLACK LIVES, Albums still MATTER."
  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #5 posted 07/15/18 5:08pm

Strawberrylova
123

Mayte is very obsessed with prince to the point that's very unhealthy. I don't care what mayte stans say
  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #6 posted 07/15/18 5:38pm

SkipperLove

Sadly, I feel she has done more harm to his legacy than good. Even musically to some degree she hasn't done much good for his legacy. Don't get me wrong, he wrote some great songs about her, but he also wrote a few cheesy ones as well. This is about her and I feel she has gotten everyone on her side because Prince loved her at one point and she is charming and allowing other associates to spill tea by example. I don't hate her or know her, but I wish she would cut this stuff out, because like someone else on here said, she is playing with fans' emotions. Maybe he didn't do right by here but I fear this is heading in the direction of revenge (a kind of revenge that he can't defend himself against and which is harmful to his fans' emotions.)

  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #7 posted 07/15/18 6:43pm

rogifan

Not interested won’t watch.
Paisley Park is in your heart
#PrinceForever 💜
  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #8 posted 07/15/18 7:39pm

luv4u

Moderator

avatar

moderator

Looking forward to this. cool

Edmonton, AB - canada

Ohh purple joy oh purple bliss oh purple rapture!
REAL MUSIC by REAL MUSICIANS - Prince
"I kind of wish there was a reason for Prince to make the site crash more" ~~ Ben
  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #9 posted 07/15/18 11:28pm

EmmaMcG

I can't think of anything she might do that I'd be interested in seeing. Unless it's something about her involvement in or knowledge of unreleased Prince songs then I won't be watching it. I don't care about her private life with Prince. That sort of thing doesn't interest me at all. I mean, if Julianne Phillips (Springsteen's ex wife) said she was going to to do a documentary about her life with The Boss I wouldn't be interested in that either. And for the life of me, I can't figure out why anybody would.

I'm about as interested in Prince's private life as I am in Kim Kardashian's and I've never felt the urge to "keep up" with her or her family.
  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #10 posted 07/16/18 1:07am

CatB

ThatWhiteDude said:

So......Mayte is planning a documentary



3 Chains o' Gold, the sequel? ...




"Time is space spent with U"
  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #11 posted 07/16/18 5:41am

Zannaloaf

PennyPurple said:

I really just wish all of them would just move on. Get back with their own life and move forward, do their own thing, not Prince's. Time is short they need to get back to spending it with their family and watching them grow. Stop screwing with the fans emotions.

lol lol lol lol lol lol lol

  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #12 posted 07/16/18 8:00am

purplefam99

Who she was prior to Prince is interesting, just like Cat Glover’s is and as it was in Shelia book. As I’m sure the first 50 pages of P’ memoir will be. Hopefully. But I will agree you could get it in her book.

imo.
  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #13 posted 07/16/18 8:31am

Mumio

avatar

CatB said:


3 Chains o' Gold, the sequel? ...






lol lol

Welcome to "the org", Mumio…they can have you, but I'll have your love in the end nod
  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #14 posted 07/16/18 9:02am

violetcrush

purplefam99 said:

Who she was prior to Prince is interesting, just like Cat Glover’s is and as it was in Shelia book. As I’m sure the first 50 pages of P’ memoir will be. Hopefully. But I will agree you could get it in her book. imo.

Don't we already know who she was prior to meeting Prince?? An attractive young teenager whose Mother was trying to make her famous while she was belly dancing around Europe, right??

*

Sheila's and Cat's stories are interesting, because Sheila was an accomplished Drummer and already playing professionally prior to meeting Prince. Cat had received national recognition on Star Search, and also had David Bowie's attention by the time she met Prince. Bowie had asked her to join his tour.

  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #15 posted 07/16/18 9:08am

violetcrush

pinkcashmere23 said:

I wondered about that as well. I'm not going to pass judgement on it until I know what she is planning. I think as you said, a documentary about her professional life with him and the music could be interesting if done right.

Wondering if she really was given the details and information regarding decisions on the professional side - especially for the first several years in Prince's camp. My impression is that she had very little control, and was not really a part of the decision-making process. At the most, my guess is any information would be coming from her point of view/observations, which may have been limited. Even his band members and those in more tehnical roles (like Steve Parke) have said they often did not know what he was planning and/or why he made certain decisions.

  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #16 posted 07/16/18 9:10am

violetcrush

CatB said:

ThatWhiteDude said:

So......Mayte is planning a documentary



3 Chains o' Gold, the sequel? ...




Right!! Or, 7 with a fancier sword twirl?? lol lol

  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #17 posted 07/16/18 9:37am

pinkcashmere23

violetcrush said:

pinkcashmere23 said:

I wondered about that as well. I'm not going to pass judgement on it until I know what she is planning. I think as you said, a documentary about her professional life with him and the music could be interesting if done right.

Wondering if she really was given the details and information regarding decisions on the professional side - especially for the first several years in Prince's camp. My impression is that she had very little control, and was not really a part of the decision-making process. At the most, my guess is any information would be coming from her point of view/observations, which may have been limited. Even his band members and those in more tehnical roles (like Steve Parke) have said they often did not know what he was planning and/or why he made certain decisions.

I'm curious about what she may remember about the writing and recording process of the albums that he released during their time together since she was living with him at the time. I'd be interested in hearing more stories similar to those she shared in her interview with Schkopi.

  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #18 posted 07/16/18 9:47am

violetcrush

pinkcashmere23 said:

violetcrush said:

Wondering if she really was given the details and information regarding decisions on the professional side - especially for the first several years in Prince's camp. My impression is that she had very little control, and was not really a part of the decision-making process. At the most, my guess is any information would be coming from her point of view/observations, which may have been limited. Even his band members and those in more tehnical roles (like Steve Parke) have said they often did not know what he was planning and/or why he made certain decisions.

I'm curious about what she may remember about the writing and recording process of the albums that he released during their time together since she was living with him at the time. I'd be interested in hearing more stories similar to those she shared in her interview with Schkopi.

Right, but I think it really depends on how much actual time she was spending in the recording studio with him. Unlike, Sheila, Jill, Susannah etc - she was not a player or backup singer, so there would not have been a need for her to regularly be there with him. Also, I thought I read that she did not move into the Galpin House until they were married - could be wrong about that though.

  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #19 posted 07/16/18 10:06am

pinkcashmere23

violetcrush said:

pinkcashmere23 said:

I'm curious about what she may remember about the writing and recording process of the albums that he released during their time together since she was living with him at the time. I'd be interested in hearing more stories similar to those she shared in her interview with Schkopi.

Right, but I think it really depends on how much actual time she was spending in the recording studio with him. Unlike, Sheila, Jill, Susannah etc - she was not a player or backup singer, so there would not have been a need for her to regularly be there with him. Also, I thought I read that she did not move into the Galpin House until they were married - could be wrong about that though.

True. I wouldn't expect her to know much detail about technical information or the recording process. I'd be interested in even just the superficial info such as what she remembers about the day etc.. She was present for the recording of some songs and he had her sing backup on a few. I believe that's correct about the Galpin house but not sure. I would like to see what she knows about the writing and recording of some of the songs from Emancipation. I appreciated what she shared of her memories of "Comeback" and would like to hear more stories like that.

  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #20 posted 07/16/18 10:33am

violetcrush

pinkcashmere23 said:

violetcrush said:

Right, but I think it really depends on how much actual time she was spending in the recording studio with him. Unlike, Sheila, Jill, Susannah etc - she was not a player or backup singer, so there would not have been a need for her to regularly be there with him. Also, I thought I read that she did not move into the Galpin House until they were married - could be wrong about that though.

True. I wouldn't expect her to know much detail about technical information or the recording process. I'd be interested in even just the superficial info such as what she remembers about the day etc.. She was present for the recording of some songs and he had her sing backup on a few. I believe that's correct about the Galpin house but not sure. I would like to see what she knows about the writing and recording of some of the songs from Emancipation. I appreciated what she shared of her memories of "Comeback" and would like to hear more stories like that.

Yes, I believe that he had set her up in an apartment in MN for many years. I know that she has stated she could not call him, but had to wait for him to contact her. My impression is that he controlled every aspect of their relationship and also her involvement with the music. Also, my guess with "Comeback" is that Prince recorded this privately - as he did with most of his more personal songs - and told her it was for their son. Many of the songs recorded for Emancipation were done in the Spring/Summer of '95, when he had sent the NPG and Mayte to Europe to do promotional appearances. The songs connected to the marriage/baby were done early '96. I think he was in LA quite a bit in Spring/Summer of '95, which makes the song "Sleep Around" - which he recorded in early '96 - even more interesting..."maybe you recall last Summer, when you saw her riding in my car...do it like she like it so your baby don't wanna sleep around..." hmmmm wink

  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #21 posted 07/16/18 10:34am

violetcrush

violetcrush said:

pinkcashmere23 said:

True. I wouldn't expect her to know much detail about technical information or the recording process. I'd be interested in even just the superficial info such as what she remembers about the day etc.. She was present for the recording of some songs and he had her sing backup on a few. I believe that's correct about the Galpin house but not sure. I would like to see what she knows about the writing and recording of some of the songs from Emancipation. I appreciated what she shared of her memories of "Comeback" and would like to hear more stories like that.

Yes, I believe that he had set her up in an apartment in MN for many years. I know that she has stated she could not call him, but had to wait for him to contact her. My impression is that he controlled every aspect of their relationship and also her involvement with the music. Also, my guess with "Comeback" is that Prince recorded this privately - as he did with most of his more personal songs - and told her it was for their son. Many of the songs recorded for Emancipation were done in the Spring/Summer of '95, when he had sent the NPG and Mayte to Europe to do promotional appearances. The songs connected to the marriage/baby were done early '96. I think he was in LA quite a bit in Spring/Summer of '95, which makes the song "Sleep Around" - which he recorded in early '96 - even more interesting..."maybe you recall last Summer, when you saw her riding in my car...do it like she like it so your baby don't wanna sleep around..." hmmmm wink

Pink - I have missed our convos on here smile smile smile

  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #22 posted 07/16/18 10:47am

violetcrush

Strawberrylova123 said:

Mayte is very obsessed with prince to the point that's very unhealthy. I don't care what mayte stans say

I think, more than most people connected to Prince, she is obsessed with the potential $$$ involved with Prince.

  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #23 posted 07/16/18 10:55am

CatB

violetcrush said:

purplefam99 said:

Who she was prior to Prince is interesting, just like Cat Glover’s is and as it was in Shelia book. As I’m sure the first 50 pages of P’ memoir will be. Hopefully. But I will agree you could get it in her book. imo.

Don't we already know who she was prior to meeting Prince?? An attractive young teenager whose Mother was trying to make her famous while she was belly dancing around Europe, right??



And Egypt, don't forget Egypt.

Dancing after hours at German restaurants, thus bending the German Law on child labor...

Going to the same high school as Priscilla over here probably gave her and her mama the idea to adopt the Elvis-and-the-teenager story for herself. When I first met P and her in November '94 she had just turned 23. My friend whom I went with that night was a huge Prince fan and she told me all about his girl and that she was only 22 (we didn't know then that it had just been her bday) and she seemed even older to us.



"Time is space spent with U"
  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #24 posted 07/16/18 11:02am

violetcrush

CatB said:

violetcrush said:

Don't we already know who she was prior to meeting Prince?? An attractive young teenager whose Mother was trying to make her famous while she was belly dancing around Europe, right??



And Egypt, don't forget Egypt.

Dancing after hours at German restaurants, thus bending the German Law on child labor...

Going to the same high school as Priscilla over here probably gave her and her mama the idea to adopt the Elvis-and-the-teenager story for herself. When I first met P and her in November '94 she had just turned 23. My friend whom I went with that night was a huge Prince fan and she told me all about his girl and that she was only 22 (we didn't know then that it had just been her bday) and she seemed even older to us.



Ahhh, interesting. Well, she was one of his girls then, right?? Wasn't he still seeing Nona at this point?

  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #25 posted 07/16/18 11:03am

pinkcashmere23

violetcrush said:

pinkcashmere23 said:

True. I wouldn't expect her to know much detail about technical information or the recording process. I'd be interested in even just the superficial info such as what she remembers about the day etc.. She was present for the recording of some songs and he had her sing backup on a few. I believe that's correct about the Galpin house but not sure. I would like to see what she knows about the writing and recording of some of the songs from Emancipation. I appreciated what she shared of her memories of "Comeback" and would like to hear more stories like that.

Yes, I believe that he had set her up in an apartment in MN for many years. I know that she has stated she could not call him, but had to wait for him to contact her. My impression is that he controlled every aspect of their relationship and also her involvement with the music. Also, my guess with "Comeback" is that Prince recorded this privately - as he did with most of his more personal songs - and told her it was for their son. Many of the songs recorded for Emancipation were done in the Spring/Summer of '95, when he had sent the NPG and Mayte to Europe to do promotional appearances. The songs connected to the marriage/baby were done early '96. I think he was in LA quite a bit in Spring/Summer of '95, which makes the song "Sleep Around" - which he recorded in early '96 - even more interesting..."maybe you recall last Summer, when you saw her riding in my car...do it like she like it so your baby don't wanna sleep around..." hmmmm wink

I remember the interview where she said that about not being able to call him. I was mainly referring to the love songs on Disc 2. I know Prince spoke a little in some interviews at the time about how a few of the songs such as "Let Have A Baby",Friend,Lover,Sister,Mother Wife" and "The Holy River"came to be. I would like to hear her memories of them.She shared what she remembered of the inspiration for "Comeback"in the Schkopi interview but I don't remember her talking about the recording of it.I'll have to watch it again. I love "Sleep Around" and I have wondered about what and who inspired it.

  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #26 posted 07/16/18 11:05am

SkipperLove

What were your and your friend's impressions of her?

CatB said:

violetcrush said:

Don't we already know who she was prior to meeting Prince?? An attractive young teenager whose Mother was trying to make her famous while she was belly dancing around Europe, right??



And Egypt, don't forget Egypt.

Dancing after hours at German restaurants, thus bending the German Law on child labor...

Going to the same high school as Priscilla over here probably gave her and her mama the idea to adopt the Elvis-and-the-teenager story for herself. When I first met P and her in November '94 she had just turned 23. My friend whom I went with that night was a huge Prince fan and she told me all about his girl and that she was only 22 (we didn't know then that it had just been her bday) and she seemed even older to us.



  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #27 posted 07/16/18 11:06am

pinkcashmere23

violetcrush said:

violetcrush said:

Yes, I believe that he had set her up in an apartment in MN for many years. I know that she has stated she could not call him, but had to wait for him to contact her. My impression is that he controlled every aspect of their relationship and also her involvement with the music. Also, my guess with "Comeback" is that Prince recorded this privately - as he did with most of his more personal songs - and told her it was for their son. Many of the songs recorded for Emancipation were done in the Spring/Summer of '95, when he had sent the NPG and Mayte to Europe to do promotional appearances. The songs connected to the marriage/baby were done early '96. I think he was in LA quite a bit in Spring/Summer of '95, which makes the song "Sleep Around" - which he recorded in early '96 - even more interesting..."maybe you recall last Summer, when you saw her riding in my car...do it like she like it so your baby don't wanna sleep around..." hmmmm wink

Pink - I have missed our convos on here smile smile smile

I have as well. smile

  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #28 posted 07/16/18 11:25am

violetcrush

SkipperLove said:

Sadly, I feel she has done more harm to his legacy than good. Even musically to some degree she hasn't done much good for his legacy. Don't get me wrong, he wrote some great songs about her, but he also wrote a few cheesy ones as well. This is about her and I feel she has gotten everyone on her side because Prince loved her at one point and she is charming and allowing other associates to spill tea by example. I don't hate her or know her, but I wish she would cut this stuff out, because like someone else on here said, she is playing with fans' emotions. Maybe he didn't do right by here but I fear this is heading in the direction of revenge (a kind of revenge that he can't defend himself against and which is harmful to his fans' emotions.)

In my opinion, his love songs about her were the most uninspired in terms of lyrical creativity. If you look at songs like "Adore", "Forever In My Life", or "Nothing Compares 2 U" vs. "The Holy River", "Friend, Lover, Sister..." there is just no comparison with regard to the intensity and depth of the lyrics. Many of the songs almost seem "obligatory", as they were written at the time she was pregnant with his child. Most of the songs he was writing in '95 were connected to lost love or other subjects.

  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #29 posted 07/16/18 11:31am

violetcrush

pinkcashmere23 said:

violetcrush said:

Yes, I believe that he had set her up in an apartment in MN for many years. I know that she has stated she could not call him, but had to wait for him to contact her. My impression is that he controlled every aspect of their relationship and also her involvement with the music. Also, my guess with "Comeback" is that Prince recorded this privately - as he did with most of his more personal songs - and told her it was for their son. Many of the songs recorded for Emancipation were done in the Spring/Summer of '95, when he had sent the NPG and Mayte to Europe to do promotional appearances. The songs connected to the marriage/baby were done early '96. I think he was in LA quite a bit in Spring/Summer of '95, which makes the song "Sleep Around" - which he recorded in early '96 - even more interesting..."maybe you recall last Summer, when you saw her riding in my car...do it like she like it so your baby don't wanna sleep around..." hmmmm wink

I remember the interview where she said that about not being able to call him. I was mainly referring to the love songs on Disc 2. I know Prince spoke a little in some interviews at the time about how a few of the songs such as "Let Have A Baby",Friend,Lover,Sister,Mother Wife" and "The Holy River"came to be. I would like to hear her memories of them.She shared what she remembered of the inspiration for "Comeback"in the Schkopi interview but I don't remember her talking about the recording of it.I'll have to watch it again. I love "Sleep Around" and I have wondered about what and who inspired it.

Yes, I'm not trying to take anything away from her regarding the songs for the marriage/baby, but to me they are just not that great. I do love "Comeback" - it is a beautiful, heartwrenching song.

*

The songs that intrigue me the most on Emancipation are those about longing and missing someone. I love "Sleep Around" too and also "Soul Santuary", which is such a beautiful song about seeing an ex lover's reflection in the mirror, thinking of her, and feeling hope and joy in remembering the love they shared. Interestingly, this song is on Disc 2, along with Joint 2 Joint, which are not connected with the marriage/baby.

  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Page 1 of 3 123>
  New topic   Printable     (Log in to 'subscribe' to this topic)
« Previous topic  Next topic »
Forums > Associated artists & people > So......Mayte is planning a documentary