independent and unofficial
Prince fan community site
Tue 16th Jan 2018 9:16am
Welcome! Sign up or enter username and password to remember me
Forum jump
Forums > Associated artists & people > "Some Kind Of Lover" by Apollonia 6 (1984)
« Previous topic  Next topic »
Reply   New topic   Printable     (Log in to 'subscribe' to this topic)
Author

Tweet     Share

Message
Thread started 12/28/17 12:56pm

SoulAlive

"Some Kind Of Lover" by Apollonia 6 (1984)

 Reply w/quote - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #1 posted 12/28/17 4:11pm

SoulAlive

I’ve said this before:Brenda is the real star of the A6 album.She sings lead on the best tracks and she absolutely shines.
 Reply w/quote - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #2 posted 12/28/17 6:12pm

woogiebear

SoulAlive said:

I’ve said this before:Brenda is the real star of the A6 album.She sings lead on the best tracks and she absolutely shines.

HELL YES!!!!

cool

 Reply w/quote - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #3 posted 12/28/17 6:14pm

woogiebear

SoulAlive said:

https://www.youtube.com/w...1Xq8-eYbCQ

One of Prince's NASSIEST Bass Lines!!! I said it!!!

cool

 Reply w/quote - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #4 posted 12/28/17 8:30pm

SoulAlive

yeah,love that bassline !
 Reply w/quote - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #5 posted 12/29/17 2:00pm

TrivialPursuit

Brenda's voice is probably one of the most unique of all of Prince's associates. It's that wonderful raspy, deep, kinda dirty girl feel when she sings. And on a mid-tempo blues heavy track like "Some Kind of Lover", it's a gem. There's a masculine quality to her voice that tells you she's in charge, and it is juxtaposed by her feminine sultry "oohs", "aahhs" and moaning that remind you not only is she in charge, but she's leading the games with her very real and very present vagina; meaning her womanhood is as important of a role in her liaisons with someone as her take charge demeanor is in them. Even Vanity couldn't pull that off.

I'd love to hear her fully sing "17 Days" from back in the day. I would suspect it would have been a Brenda song had it stayed on the A6 album. She's the only one who could sing about smoking cigarettes and it be believable.

This experience will cover courtship, sex, commitment, fetishes, loneliness, vindication, love, and hate.
http://bit.ly/1D3FG2U
 Reply w/quote - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #6 posted 12/29/17 9:38pm

SoulAlive

TrivialPursuit said:

Brenda's voice is probably one of the most unique of all of Prince's associates. It's that wonderful raspy, deep, kinda dirty girl feel when she sings. And on a mid-tempo blues heavy track like "Some Kind of Lover", it's a gem. There's a masculine quality to her voice that tells you she's in charge, and it is juxtaposed by her feminine sultry "oohs", "aahhs" and moaning that remind you not only is she in charge, but she's leading the games with her very real and very present vagina; meaning her womanhood is as important of a role in her liaisons with someone as her take charge demeanor is in them. Even Vanity couldn't pull that off.

I'd love to hear her fully sing "17 Days" from back in the day. I would suspect it would have been a Brenda song had it stayed on the A6 album. She's the only one who could sing about smoking cigarettes and it be believable.



nod totally agree with your analysis
[Edited 12/30/17 1:16am]
 Reply w/quote - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #7 posted 12/31/17 12:14pm

jungleluv

woogiebear said:

SoulAlive said:

I’ve said this before:Brenda is the real star of the A6 album.She sings lead on the best tracks and she absolutely shines.

HELL YES!!!!

cool

Personally I prefer Apollonia's voice. It's prettier & Brenda's voice is too deep 4 my taste. She sounds like a guy!

 Reply w/quote - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #8 posted 12/31/17 12:46pm

SoulAlive

jungleluv said:

woogiebear said:

HELL YES!!!!

cool

Personally I prefer Apollonia's voice. It's prettier & Brenda's voice is too deep 4 my taste. She sounds like a guy!

LOL...Apollonia can't sing at all lol Brenda was actually the only "real" singer in that group.

 Reply w/quote - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #9 posted 12/31/17 3:14pm

OldFriends4Sal
e

avatar

moderator

SoulAlive said:

I’ve said this before:Brenda is the real star of the A6 album.She sings lead on the best tracks and she absolutely shines.

Yes, I totally agree.

I wish Prince would have focused on the tracks she lead and pushed videos/singles for.

What's the matter with your life
Is poverty bringing U down?
Is the mailman jerking U 'round?
Did he put your million dollar check
In someone else's box?
Tell me, what's the matter with your world
 Reply w/quote - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #10 posted 12/31/17 3:17pm

OldFriends4Sal
e

avatar

moderator

jungleluv said:

woogiebear said:

HELL YES!!!!

cool

Personally I prefer Apollonia's voice. It's prettier & Brenda's voice is too deep 4 my taste. She sounds like a guy!

What you were hearing with Apollonia's voice was Lisa Coleman & Jill Jones underneath making it prettier.

I must admit I loved Susan Moonsie's voice as well like on Drive Me Wild & Make Up.

the Apollonia 6 album should have been title Pandora 6(that was Prince's next move in doing a girl group, that way whatever lead left the name didn't have to change)

But a Pandora 6 album could have included Jill Jones tracks Wednesday G-Spot etc

What's the matter with your life
Is poverty bringing U down?
Is the mailman jerking U 'round?
Did he put your million dollar check
In someone else's box?
Tell me, what's the matter with your world
 Reply w/quote - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #11 posted 12/31/17 5:06pm

SoulAlive

OldFriends4Sale said:

jungleluv said:

Personally I prefer Apollonia's voice. It's prettier & Brenda's voice is too deep 4 my taste. She sounds like a guy!

What you were hearing with Apollonia's voice was Lisa Coleman & Jill Jones underneath making it prettier.

I must admit I loved Susan Moonsie's voice as well like on Drive Me Wild & Make Up.

the Apollonia 6 album should have been title Pandora 6(that was Prince's next move in doing a girl group, that way whatever lead left the name didn't have to change)

But a Pandora 6 album could have included Jill Jones tracks Wednesday G-Spot etc

Prince's mistake was naming the group after the lead singer.It was odd when Vanity abrupty left and he had to come up with a new name (Apollonia 6).That problem could have been prevented if he had named them something like,say,The Pussycats lol

 Reply w/quote - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #12 posted 12/31/17 5:21pm

Vashtix

SoulAlive said:



OldFriends4Sale said:




jungleluv said:



Personally I prefer Apollonia's voice. It's prettier & Brenda's voice is too deep 4 my taste. She sounds like a guy!




What you were hearing with Apollonia's voice was Lisa Coleman & Jill Jones underneath making it prettier.



I must admit I loved Susan Moonsie's voice as well like on Drive Me Wild & Make Up.



the Apollonia 6 album should have been title Pandora 6(that was Prince's next move in doing a girl group, that way whatever lead left the name didn't have to change)



But a Pandora 6 album could have included Jill Jones tracks Wednesday G-Spot etc







Prince's mistake was naming the group after the lead singer.It was odd when Vanity abrupty left and he had to come up with a new name (Apollonia 6).That problem could have been prevented if he had named them something like,say,The Pussycats lol


For whatever reason the response from the public no matter what name justwas not there. I think it was timing.
 Reply w/quote - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #13 posted 01/04/18 4:10am

laurarichardso
n

Vashtix said:

SoulAlive said:



OldFriends4Sale said:




jungleluv said:



Personally I prefer Apollonia's voice. It's prettier & Brenda's voice is too deep 4 my taste. She sounds like a guy!




What you were hearing with Apollonia's voice was Lisa Coleman & Jill Jones underneath making it prettier.



I must admit I loved Susan Moonsie's voice as well like on Drive Me Wild & Make Up.



the Apollonia 6 album should have been title Pandora 6(that was Prince's next move in doing a girl group, that way whatever lead left the name didn't have to change)



But a Pandora 6 album could have included Jill Jones tracks Wednesday G-Spot etc







Prince's mistake was naming the group after the lead singer.It was odd when Vanity abrupty left and he had to come up with a new name (Apollonia 6).That problem could have been prevented if he had named them something like,say,The Pussycats lol


For whatever reason the response from the public no matter what name justwas not there. I think it was timing.

It was a contractual obligation it was not going to sell as no effort was put into marketing the record.
 Reply w/quote - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #14 posted 01/04/18 6:11am

OldFriends4Sal
e

avatar

moderator

SoulAlive said:

OldFriends4Sale said:

What you were hearing with Apollonia's voice was Lisa Coleman & Jill Jones underneath making it prettier.

I must admit I loved Susan Moonsie's voice as well like on Drive Me Wild & Make Up.

the Apollonia 6 album should have been title Pandora 6(that was Prince's next move in doing a girl group, that way whatever lead left the name didn't have to change)

But a Pandora 6 album could have included Jill Jones tracks Wednesday G-Spot etc

Prince's mistake was naming the group after the lead singer.It was odd when Vanity abrupty left and he had to come up with a new name (Apollonia 6).That problem could have been prevented if he had named them something like,say,The Pussycats lol

LOL Yep, especially since he knew Apollonia wasn't going to do the full job.
.
Jill Jones said, Pandora 6 was his next move if he had another girl group.

What's the matter with your life
Is poverty bringing U down?
Is the mailman jerking U 'round?
Did he put your million dollar check
In someone else's box?
Tell me, what's the matter with your world
 Reply w/quote - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply   New topic   Printable     (Log in to 'subscribe' to this topic)
« Previous topic  Next topic »
Forums > Associated artists & people > "Some Kind Of Lover" by Apollonia 6 (1984)