independent and unofficial
Prince fan community site
Sun 24th Jun 2018 3:51pm
Welcome! Sign up or enter username and password to remember me
Forum jump
Forums > Fan Gatherings > Justin Timberlake To Host Album Listening Session – At Prince’s Paisley Park Home February 1st
« Previous topic  Next topic »
Page 5 of 19 <123456789>Last »

This is a "featured" topic! — From here you can jump to the « previous or next » featured topic.

  New topic   Printable     (Log in to 'subscribe' to this topic)
Reply #120 posted 02/03/18 11:13am

remko

avatar

The hologram aside, i dont like it, how would any artist do the superbowl in minneapolis and NOT make a reference to Prince, during that peeformance?
  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #121 posted 02/03/18 11:29am

cloveringold85

avatar

anangellooksdown said:

I just feel like this is the beginning of something I don't want to start.

I felt very jealous that Mr. Timberlake was at prince's home, and printing off his records and tee-shirts and such. That is Princ'es home. This was far too much.

There comes a point where principles should override money fears. There are so many other things I could think of - in about 8 seconds - that could draw in some revenue, if that's what this was mostly about.

It's usually about people associating themselves with certain other people.

Prince and Paisley Park don't need Justin Timberlake for anything to make them special. In fact, Prince sits at a much higher place than that.

The whole thing just feels wrong, wrong, wrong to me. Like a sell-out.

.

I agree, Angel. nod

"With love, honor, and respect for every living thing in the universe, separation ceases, and we all become one being, singing one song." - Prince Roger Nelson (1958-2016)
  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #122 posted 02/03/18 11:32am

cloveringold85

avatar

EmmaMcG said:

cloveringold85 said:

Damn, I was in the middle of typing, and the thread was locked!! mad

.

I didn't like what JT said in that shit song regarding the charts and Prince not being there.......Oh, right -- you wasn't there!

.

Prince did more for music in his almost 40-years as an artist than JT ever will. JT was still in diapers when Purple Rain was number one on the charts and already had a successful recording career.

.

Maybe some of you forgive easily, but I don't.

I can't speak for anyone else but personally, I don't forgive JT. The reason I don't forgive him is because I just don't care what he said so I don't feel like I have something to forgive him for. So he made fun of Prince's height and questioned his position in the charts. So what? Prince was a short guy (though still an inch taller than me) and at that time he wasn't popular enough to have a high charting single. Those are just facts and I'd highly doubt that even Prince himself would have been legitimately bothered by either statement because he knew that both were true. I don't think he was that sensitive about stuff like that. You should give him more credit than that.

.

I feel differently about JT. You just don't talk that way about a legend. It was very disrespectful, imo. He took jabs at Prince in his song, and put it on his album for all to hear.

"With love, honor, and respect for every living thing in the universe, separation ceases, and we all become one being, singing one song." - Prince Roger Nelson (1958-2016)
  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #123 posted 02/03/18 11:34am

cloveringold85

avatar

luv4u said:

laurarichardson said:

luv4u said: The estate has 40 million in cash. PP is Not going anywhere anytime soon.


$$$$ don't last 4ever. Keeping PP active with activity is also a good thing.

.

This was not Prince's style, at all.......he wasn't a sell-out.

"With love, honor, and respect for every living thing in the universe, separation ceases, and we all become one being, singing one song." - Prince Roger Nelson (1958-2016)
  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #124 posted 02/03/18 11:35am

cloveringold85

avatar

HatrinaHaterwitz said:

This little bitch trying to outdue Prince's Superbowl performance using Prince's legacy to do it is so beyond disrespectful, he may as well whip out his dick and take a piss on Prince's picture while he's at it. And please do not come at me with that "he's just trying to honor and pay tribute to Prince" bullshit because he is fucking NOT! mad

.

I concur. Greed is a terrible thing.

"With love, honor, and respect for every living thing in the universe, separation ceases, and we all become one being, singing one song." - Prince Roger Nelson (1958-2016)
  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #125 posted 02/03/18 11:38am

cloveringold85

avatar

EmmaMcG said:

HatrinaHaterwitz said:

This little bitch trying to outdue Prince's Superbowl performance using Prince's legacy to do it is so beyond disrespectful, he may as well whip out his dick and take a piss on Prince's picture while he's at it. And please do not come at me with that "he's just trying to honor and pay tribute to Prince" bullshit because he is fucking NOT! mad

I understand that, as a Prince fan, you want to see Prince's legacy given the respect it deserves so I can see why you'd be wary of a pop star like Justin Timberlake, a man who could never even hope to match Prince's creative genius, doing a tribute to Prince. Leaving aside the fact that he's gone on record both before and after Prince's death and said he was a huge Prince fan, it will still be seen as a publicly stunt. I get that. And I understand. But even if it is just for publicity, ask yourself who will benefit from it the most? Justin Timberlake has a lot more fans these days than Prince does. With a new album out, he's going to be getting a lot of press coverage too. If he is to work some sort of Prince tribute into his Superbowl performance it will draw a lot of attention to Prince's music and maybe even encourage JTs younger fans to check out the artist who inspired him. Which is a good thing. The more young people who listen to Prince, the better it is for his legacy. Justin Timberlake might have good intentions with his tribute or he might just be doing it to leech of a much better and more respected artist. But it doesn't matter either way because the result of it would be more attention being paid to Prince's music.

.

Timberlake has more fans than Prince? eek omfg

"With love, honor, and respect for every living thing in the universe, separation ceases, and we all become one being, singing one song." - Prince Roger Nelson (1958-2016)
  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #126 posted 02/03/18 11:39am

ludwig

remko said:

The hologram aside, i dont like it, how would any artist do the superbowl in minneapolis and NOT make a reference to Prince, during that peeformance?

Will there also be a reference to Bob Dylan?

  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #127 posted 02/03/18 11:39am

EmmaMcG

cloveringold85 said:



EmmaMcG said:


cloveringold85 said:

Damn, I was in the middle of typing, and the thread was locked!! mad


.


I didn't like what JT said in that shit song regarding the charts and Prince not being there.....Oh, right -- you wasn't there!


.


Prince did more for music in his almost 40-years as an artist than JT ever will. JT was still in diapers when Purple Rain was number one on the charts and already had a successful recording career.


.


Maybe some of you forgive easily, but I don't.





I can't speak for anyone else but personally, I don't forgive JT. The reason I don't forgive him is because I just don't care what he said so I don't feel like I have something to forgive him for. So he made fun of Prince's height and questioned his position in the charts. So what? Prince was a short guy (though still an inch taller than me) and at that time he wasn't popular enough to have a high charting single. Those are just facts and I'd highly doubt that even Prince himself would have been legitimately bothered by either statement because he knew that both were true. I don't think he was that sensitive about stuff like that. You should give him more credit than that.

.


I feel differently about JT. You just don't talk that way about a legend. It was very disrespectful, imo. He took jabs at Prince in his song, and put it on his album for all to hear.




Yeah but so what? Do you honestly think that bothered Prince? I highly doubt it. Prince knew how good he was and how important he was in the music world. I don't think he cared if some pop star made disparaging comments about him.

So if it didn't bother Prince, why would you or me or anyone else feel offended on Prince's behalf?
  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #128 posted 02/03/18 11:40am

cloveringold85

avatar

Goddess4Real said:

If the recent reports about a Prince Hologram turns out to be true...there were signs, the recent album listening party at Paisley Park and Justin's Supplies video. It has a lot of Blade Runner 2049 refs, and the film itself features a Frank Sinatra and Elvis holograms. We will know for sure on Sunday if it's a groundbreaking tribute or a hot opportunistic mess.

.

Prince specifically said DONT DO NO HOLOGRAM OF ME!! mad mad

.

WTF is wrong with people??!!

.

"With love, honor, and respect for every living thing in the universe, separation ceases, and we all become one being, singing one song." - Prince Roger Nelson (1958-2016)
  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #129 posted 02/03/18 11:42am

cloveringold85

avatar

purplerabbithole said:

Turning him into a caricature is not keeping his music alive. Keep it alive by reminding people that he had more than four songs. His songs are on the internet now. He doesn't need Justin Timberlake playing a hologram of his most overplayed images and songs and incorporating him into his own songs like some kind of background singer and session player. JT could simply mention Prince and recommend some videos to his fans and that would be a better tribute IMO. The superbowl could play a brief 2-minute compilation tribute to Prince with Prince footage (spanning the entirety of his career) before JT starts his show and maybe JT could sing a few lines from one of P's songs. That would invite further interest in Prince's music.

PennyPurple said:

How is paying tribute to Prince during the 1/2 time Superbowl, in his hometown, wrong? It sounds like everyone here are wanting to keep Prince and his music, a secret.


Let's keep his memory alive, and this is a great way to do it.

.

That's a very good idea. I would rather see a nice tribute to Prince before the show rather than hear JT performing his songs.

"With love, honor, and respect for every living thing in the universe, separation ceases, and we all become one being, singing one song." - Prince Roger Nelson (1958-2016)
  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #130 posted 02/03/18 11:43am

EmmaMcG

cloveringold85 said:



EmmaMcG said:


HatrinaHaterwitz said:

This little bitch trying to outdue Prince's Superbowl performance using Prince's legacy to do it is so beyond disrespectful, he may as well whip out his dick and take a piss on Prince's picture while he's at it. And please do not come at me with that "he's just trying to honor and pay tribute to Prince" bullshit because he is fucking NOT! mad



I understand that, as a Prince fan, you want to see Prince's legacy given the respect it deserves so I can see why you'd be wary of a pop star like Justin Timberlake, a man who could never even hope to match Prince's creative genius, doing a tribute to Prince. Leaving aside the fact that he's gone on record both before and after Prince's death and said he was a huge Prince fan, it will still be seen as a publicly stunt. I get that. And I understand. But even if it is just for publicity, ask yourself who will benefit from it the most? Justin Timberlake has a lot more fans these days than Prince does. With a new album out, he's going to be getting a lot of press coverage too. If he is to work some sort of Prince tribute into his Superbowl performance it will draw a lot of attention to Prince's music and maybe even encourage JTs younger fans to check out the artist who inspired him. Which is a good thing. The more young people who listen to Prince, the better it is for his legacy. Justin Timberlake might have good intentions with his tribute or he might just be doing it to leech of a much better and more respected artist. But it doesn't matter either way because the result of it would be more attention being paid to Prince's music.

.


Timberlake has more fans than Prince? eek omfg




Well, he's sold more records since his first album than Prince has in that time frame. Justified came out in 2002 I think and since then JT has only released a further 2 albums (excluding his latest one) and those 3 albums have sold a lot more than all of Prince's albums released since 2002. So yeah, as sad as it is, JT has more fans than Prince.
  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #131 posted 02/03/18 11:44am

cloveringold85

avatar

ThatWhiteDude said:

cloveringold85 said:

......moving over here now......

.

.

Amen! lol

.

I'm still pissed at JT for that crap he said about Prince. Like you said, Prince was only joking and commenting on bringing sexy back. What JT did was way below the belt, imo.

.

I think JT has talent, but he's no Prince. I neither love him nor hate him. Some of his songs got a nice groove you can dance to, but I don't buy his music or attend his concerts.

.

A lot of people are upset about this PP event, and rightfully so. It just looks like a money-grubbing event to promote his new album, plus the SuperBowl coming up.....I just pray to God he's not going to do a Prince Tribute......Prince already did the damn SB, so don't be trying to recreate what Prince did......no, just no!!!! mad

.

If he does that......then, I will totally lose it!! mad

.

Lawd, please help me!! mad

Now he's planning a hologram.......

.

Well, if that happens......then, they are disrespecting his wishes.

"With love, honor, and respect for every living thing in the universe, separation ceases, and we all become one being, singing one song." - Prince Roger Nelson (1958-2016)
  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #132 posted 02/03/18 11:45am

EmmaMcG

ludwig said:



remko said:


The hologram aside, i dont like it, how would any artist do the superbowl in minneapolis and NOT make a reference to Prince, during that peeformance?

Will there also be a reference to Bob Dylan?



Bob Dylan doesn't have a great Superbowl performance under his belt, nor is he dead. Therefore, there is no reason to honour him at the Superbowl.
  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #133 posted 02/03/18 11:49am

cloveringold85

avatar

EmmaMcG said:

cloveringold85 said:

.

I feel differently about JT. You just don't talk that way about a legend. It was very disrespectful, imo. He took jabs at Prince in his song, and put it on his album for all to hear.

Yeah but so what? Do you honestly think that bothered Prince? I highly doubt it. Prince knew how good he was and how important he was in the music world. I don't think he cared if some pop star made disparaging comments about him. So if it didn't bother Prince, why would you or me or anyone else feel offended on Prince's behalf?

.

Wrong is wrong.

.

Prince: "If se-sexy never left, then why's everybody on my shi-it-it
Don't hate on me just because you didn't come up with it."

.

Here's an old thread. I think it's fair to say there are more Prince fans that are against JT than they are in support of.

.

http://prince.org/msg/8/410665

"With love, honor, and respect for every living thing in the universe, separation ceases, and we all become one being, singing one song." - Prince Roger Nelson (1958-2016)
  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #134 posted 02/03/18 12:09pm

PRNMusicLife

cloveringold85 said:

EmmaMcG said:

cloveringold85 said: Yeah but so what? Do you honestly think that bothered Prince? I highly doubt it. Prince knew how good he was and how important he was in the music world. I don't think he cared if some pop star made disparaging comments about him. So if it didn't bother Prince, why would you or me or anyone else feel offended on Prince's behalf?

.

Wrong is wrong.

.

Prince: "If se-sexy never left, then why's everybody on my shi-it-it
Don't hate on me just because you didn't come up with it."

.

Here's an old thread. I think it's fair to say there are more Prince fans that are against JT than they are in support of.

.

http://prince.org/msg/8/410665

LOL Don't take it personally I sure don't but I think that some prince fans are the equivalent of Beyoncé fans meaning that all see is their artist and that's all that they need to see/hear and anything that is said or done that seems slightly shady about their artist (whether said artist started it or not) is just a complete no-no which means they as "loyal fans" need to absolutely hate this person now because it seemed a little shady; even if the artist themselves don't care. I always say, If this person (who people are offended for) isn't getting mad, I'm not to get mad on their behalf because if they don't give a fuck why should I? As someone who's been short all of their life (literally on the front row for every class picture never meet the second row, Can't enjoy the general admission because I won't be able to see short) I didn't get offended at the height comment either I can almost be certain that he didn't but to each his own

Also, Prince wasn't the only one to say something about Sexy never leaving, there were plenty of dj's and critics who made similar comments before him.

[Edited 2/3/18 12:11pm]

*Insert witty Prince inspired quote here*
  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #135 posted 02/03/18 12:19pm

IstenSzek

avatar

ugh, no girl, don't do all that. neutral

and true love lives on lollipops and crisps
  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #136 posted 02/03/18 12:23pm

patcalt

aiden said:

Justin is a huge prince fan and there’s a strong connection. John Blackwell and mike Scott both played in Justin’s band. Im totally cool with it & belive he will be extremely respectful, the interlude at the end of the first track of the album reminds me of the symbol album.
  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #137 posted 02/03/18 12:24pm

Trickology

remko said:

The hologram aside, i dont like it, how would any artist do the superbowl in minneapolis and NOT make a reference to Prince, during that peeformance?

The estate's fault for signing off on it eek I think prince has quoted what he thinks about holograms. I can guess what his reaction would be considering he didnt like when artists sang with deceased singers & did duets like Sinatra records. lol

[Edited 2/3/18 12:24pm]

  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #138 posted 02/03/18 12:24pm

mbdtyler

I think some people here are waaay too possessive of Prince and his legacy. Maybe Justin talked shit about Prince at some point during his career, so what? He clearly has always been a fan of the man's music as well, and I don't see why he shouldn't be able to host a listening party at Paisley Park. The hologram thing (if true) is a bit sketchy and I don't know how I feel about it, a simple cover would be more tasteful. But hey, at least he's helping to bring Prince to a larger audience and maybe turn some new people onto Prince's music. That's one of the things that really bothers me about some of you hardcore fans: you're all up in arms about how people don't appreciate Prince, or fuss over how the last few releases charted and were received... but when any superstar tries to bring him into the mainstream in a way that doesn't cater to your specific standards, you have a knee-jerk reaction and call it blasphemy

[Edited 2/3/18 12:26pm]

  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #139 posted 02/03/18 12:41pm

cloveringold85

avatar

mbdtyler said:

I think some people here are waaay too possessive of Prince and his legacy. Maybe Justin talked shit about Prince at some point during his career, so what? He clearly has always been a fan of the man's music as well, and I don't see why he shouldn't be able to host a listening party at Paisley Park. The hologram thing (if true) is a bit sketchy and I don't know how I feel about it, a simple cover would be more tasteful. But hey, at least he's helping to bring Prince to a larger audience and maybe turn some new people onto Prince's music. That's one of the things that really bothers me about some of you hardcore fans: you're all up in arms about how people don't appreciate Prince, or fuss over how the last few releases charted and were received... but when any superstar tries to bring him into the mainstream in a way that doesn't cater to your specific standards, you have a knee-jerk reaction and call it blasphemy

[Edited 2/3/18 12:26pm]

.

Everyone is entitled to how they feel.

"With love, honor, and respect for every living thing in the universe, separation ceases, and we all become one being, singing one song." - Prince Roger Nelson (1958-2016)
  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #140 posted 02/03/18 12:52pm

cloveringold85

avatar

From Prince's mouth:

.

"That's the most demonic thing imaginable. Everything is as it is, and it should be. If I was meant to jam with Duke Ellington, we would have lived in the same age. That whole virtual reality thing... it really is demonic. And I am not a demon," he said. "Also, what they did with that Beatles song ["Free As a Bird"], manipulating John Lennon's voice to have him singing from across the grave... that'll never happen to me. To prevent that kind of thing from happening is another reason why I want artistic control."

.

http://www.thefader.com/2...-holograms

.

Prince did not like Holograms. End of story!

"With love, honor, and respect for every living thing in the universe, separation ceases, and we all become one being, singing one song." - Prince Roger Nelson (1958-2016)
  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #141 posted 02/03/18 1:00pm

ludwig

cloveringold85 said:

From Prince's mouth:

"To prevent that kind of thing from happening is another reason why I want artistic control."

.

http://www.thefader.com/2...-holograms

.

Prince did not like Holograms. End of story!

So why didn't he leave a will then?

  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #142 posted 02/03/18 1:05pm

BillieBalloon

I hope Prince looks down and cuts the power off.
Baby, you're a star.

Meet me in another world, space and joy
  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #143 posted 02/03/18 1:08pm

cloveringold85

avatar

Sheila E just posted this on her Twitter.....

.

Prince told me don’t ever let anyone do a hologram of me. Not cool if this happens!

.

https://twitter.com/Sheil...r%5Eauthor

"With love, honor, and respect for every living thing in the universe, separation ceases, and we all become one being, singing one song." - Prince Roger Nelson (1958-2016)
  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #144 posted 02/03/18 1:09pm

rogifan

PennyPurple said:

And we know for a fact there is going to be a hologram?


We don’t. It’s TMZ. But it’s one of the top trending items on Twitter. 🤦🏼‍♀️

Anyway why all the hate for JT? No one ever confirmed those song lyrics were abou Prince. They could have been about Janet or someone else. Even if they were who cares. JT didn’t hate Prince and as far as we know Prince didn’t hate JT. Where’s the #Love4OneAnother?
Paisley Park is in your heart
#PrinceForever 💜
  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #145 posted 02/03/18 1:10pm

rogifan

cloveringold85 said:



Goddess4Real said:


If the recent reports about a Prince Hologram turns out to be true...there were signs, the recent album listening party at Paisley Park and Justin's Supplies video. It has a lot of Blade Runner 2049 refs, and the film itself features a Frank Sinatra and Elvis holograms. We will know for sure on Sunday if it's a groundbreaking tribute or a hot opportunistic mess.

.


Prince specifically said DONT DO NO HOLOGRAM OF ME!! mad mad


.


WTF is wrong with people??!!



.



You know TMZ could be wrong....
Paisley Park is in your heart
#PrinceForever 💜
  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #146 posted 02/03/18 1:11pm

cloveringold85

avatar

rogifan said:

PennyPurple said:

And we know for a fact there is going to be a hologram?

We don’t. It’s TMZ. But it’s one of the top trending items on Twitter. 🤦🏼‍♀️ Anyway why all the hate for JT? No one ever confirmed those song lyrics were abou Prince. They could have been about Janet or someone else. Even if they were who cares. JT didn’t hate Prince and as far as we know Prince didn’t hate JT. Where’s the #Love4OneAnother?

.

The lyrics were about Prince! What planet are you on? eek

"With love, honor, and respect for every living thing in the universe, separation ceases, and we all become one being, singing one song." - Prince Roger Nelson (1958-2016)
  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #147 posted 02/03/18 1:16pm

cloveringold85

avatar

Sheila E tweeted, and they're already talking about it....

.

https://pitchfork.com/new...-hologram/

"With love, honor, and respect for every living thing in the universe, separation ceases, and we all become one being, singing one song." - Prince Roger Nelson (1958-2016)
  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #148 posted 02/03/18 1:18pm

mikeyaddict

avatar

cloveringold85 said:



Sheila E just posted this on her Twitter.....


.




Prince told me don’t ever let anyone do a hologram of me. Not cool if this happens!



.


https://twitter.com/Sheil...r%5Eauthor





I guess if Sheila is in Minnie at the moment too maybe she can go and drop the twat, sounds like a clear indication of his wishes. Go make it so Sheila!
Comin str8 outta Preston...
  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #149 posted 02/03/18 1:21pm

cloveringold85

avatar

mikeyaddict said:

cloveringold85 said:

Sheila E just posted this on her Twitter.....

.

Prince told me don’t ever let anyone do a hologram of me. Not cool if this happens!

.

https://twitter.com/Sheil...r%5Eauthor

I guess if Sheila is in Minnie at the moment too maybe she can go and drop the twat, sounds like a clear indication of his wishes. Go make it so Sheila!

.

Yep! Someone needs a good ass whippin, or bitch slap! bitchfight

"With love, honor, and respect for every living thing in the universe, separation ceases, and we all become one being, singing one song." - Prince Roger Nelson (1958-2016)
  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Page 5 of 19 <123456789>Last »
  New topic   Printable     (Log in to 'subscribe' to this topic)

This is a "featured" topic! — From here you can jump to the « previous or next » featured topic.

« Previous topic  Next topic »
Forums > Fan Gatherings > Justin Timberlake To Host Album Listening Session – At Prince’s Paisley Park Home February 1st