independent and unofficial
Prince fan community site
Wed 12th Dec 2018 2:56pm
Welcome! Sign up or enter username and password to remember me
Forum jump
Forums > Art, Podcasts, & Fan Content > Demo of HS Anderson MadCat Limited Edition
« Previous topic  Next topic »
  New topic   Printable     (Log in to 'subscribe' to this topic)
Author

Tweet     Share

Message
Thread started 06/11/18 3:23pm

Knightoflight

Demo of HS Anderson MadCat Limited Edition

Hi Fam,

I have acquired HS Anderson MadCat Limited Edition.

You probably remember certain guy from this forum who also turned out is a employee of the largest European musical instruments distributor - manged to persuade Moridaira to reissue Mad Cat back in early 2010s.

In 2017 one has discovered a stash of European Sycamore from the 1980s in the Morris factory. Sycamore was used for the original 70’s mad cats, and has a different grain pattern from the north-American maple used in the ‘standard’ re-issue mad cats. Only 25 guitars were built using this stock of wood.

And mine is #7 of 25 smile)

Below you could find first rough demo. More will come in next weeks

https://youtu.be/Q8eSAjO6qGI

Feel free to ask questions smile)

P.S. Mine guitar is NOT for sale

P.S.S. Mods - if you could be so kind to adjust the link so the video preview would be available in the post - I would much appreciate smile

  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #1 posted 06/11/18 3:27pm

Knightoflight

and another short demo of the very same guitar from my other pal

https://www.instagram.com....gedrovich

  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #2 posted 06/11/18 3:28pm

KoolEaze

avatar

Sounds pricey. How much does this version cost?

" I´d rather be a stank ass hoe because I´m not stupid. Oh my goodness! I got more drugs! I´m always funny dude...I´m hilarious! Are we gonna smoke?"




http://kooleasehvac.com/
  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #3 posted 06/11/18 3:31pm

KoolEaze

avatar

It looks beautiful.

The neck looks like it´s covered with some sort of resin.

Do you also own any of those lower quality , fake Mad Cats ? And if so, is the difference in quality and sound that big?

I´m not a guitarist but still very curious and would appreciate if you could provide some info for a layman. wink

" I´d rather be a stank ass hoe because I´m not stupid. Oh my goodness! I got more drugs! I´m always funny dude...I´m hilarious! Are we gonna smoke?"




http://kooleasehvac.com/
  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #4 posted 06/11/18 3:41pm

Knightoflight

KoolEaze said:

Sounds pricey. How much does this version cost?

depends on distributor and currency.

I bought mine for EUR 2800 (w\o VAT) - but that because I live outside of EU - so was able to get VAT refund.

For US and UK shops prices are different.

[Edited 6/13/18 5:48am]

  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #5 posted 06/11/18 3:52pm

KoolEaze

avatar

Knightoflight said:

KoolEaze said:

Sounds pricey. How much does this version cost?

depends on distributor and currency.

I bought mine for EUR 2800 (w\o VAT) - but that because I live outside of EY - so was able to get VAT refund.

For US and UK shops prices are different.

Ah, okay. Thanks for the info.

I actually expected it to cost a bit more than that.

Not that 2800 is cheap but still.....

And is the difference in price compared to the knock-offs justified?

I mean I´m sure it is but what exactly makes this guitar so much more expensive than the knock-offs? If someone who´s interested in learning to play the guitar asked you, would you recommend this guitar? Or would that person be better off with a cheaper guitar?

I remember a thread where RodeoSchro said that it´s always better for a beginner to start with a decent, expensive instrument instead of buying a cheap one. But I have absolutely no idea.

" I´d rather be a stank ass hoe because I´m not stupid. Oh my goodness! I got more drugs! I´m always funny dude...I´m hilarious! Are we gonna smoke?"




http://kooleasehvac.com/
  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #6 posted 06/11/18 3:54pm

Knightoflight

KoolEaze said:

It looks beautiful.

The neck looks like it´s covered with some sort of resin.

Do you also own any of those lower quality , fake Mad Cats ? And if so, is the difference in quality and sound that big?

I´m not a guitarist but still very curious and would appreciate if you could provide some info for a layman. wink

Comparing to 52 tele and early 70s tele this MadCat sounds darker with lots of resonanse acroos the body and neck (epecially while plucking open string 4 -5 -6)

Comparing to late 80s MadCats this one is superior.

Regarding cheap guitar in general" low cost = cheap materials and poor craftmanship.

But sometimes you could find good guitar in low range and bad guitar in Custom shop range

  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #7 posted 06/11/18 4:03pm

KoolEaze

avatar

Knightoflight said:

KoolEaze said:

It looks beautiful.

The neck looks like it´s covered with some sort of resin.

Do you also own any of those lower quality , fake Mad Cats ? And if so, is the difference in quality and sound that big?

I´m not a guitarist but still very curious and would appreciate if you could provide some info for a layman. wink

Comparing to 52 tele and early 70s tele this MadCat sounds darker with lots of resonanse acroos the body and neck (epecially while plucking open string 4 -5 -6)

Comparing to late 80s MadCats this one is superior.

Regarding cheap guitar in general" low cost = cheap materials and poor craftmanship.

But sometimes you could find good guitar in low range and bad guitar in Custom shop range

Thank you!

Perfect answer.

" I´d rather be a stank ass hoe because I´m not stupid. Oh my goodness! I got more drugs! I´m always funny dude...I´m hilarious! Are we gonna smoke?"




http://kooleasehvac.com/
  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #8 posted 06/11/18 4:13pm

Knightoflight

KoolEaze said:

Knightoflight said:

depends on distributor and currency.

I bought mine for EUR 2800 (w\o VAT) - but that because I live outside of EY - so was able to get VAT refund.

For US and UK shops prices are different.

Ah, okay. Thanks for the info.

I actually expected it to cost a bit more than that.

Not that 2800 is cheap but still.....

And is the difference in price compared to the knock-offs justified?

I mean I´m sure it is but what exactly makes this guitar so much more expensive than the knock-offs? If someone who´s interested in learning to play the guitar asked you, would you recommend this guitar? Or would that person be better off with a cheaper guitar?

I remember a thread where RodeoSchro said that it´s always better for a beginner to start with a decent, expensive instrument instead of buying a cheap one. But I have absolutely no idea.

Well, you know - today even cheaper guitar are much better than what they had earlier.

I will try to illustrate approach on Fendr range of guitars

Squier - cheap Korean\China\ Indonesia built instruments. Takes lots of patience and time to make it playable. Still give you a feeling of real size instruments. Usually body constructed of 4-5 pieces.

Fender made in Mexico - better wood, body made of ~ 3 pieces. Would require setup but will survive 5-7 year of heavy playing. Still even if you upgrade it with American made tuners, tremolo and expensive pickups it would sound inferior comparing to fender made in USA


Fender made in USA - better wood, body made of ~ 1-2 pieces. Better attetion to details (i.e. frets setup, neck edges rolled etc). Better pickups and tuners. Good choice for professional players to withstand 20 years of touring and heavy playing.


Fender Custom Shop - - better wood and selection of features and material qualities. Build to your specs.

Again - I have seen Fender Custom Shop strats built by Shishkov (VERY expensive) that sounds awful. And Squier that is suprisingly good (fo example Harts is playing Squier and his music is realy good. But trust me: his guitar is not of the same quality as regular Squier. Plus it takes lots of money and time to setup

https://youtu.be/ZYV0cXcta9U

So I would take your friend who could play guitar (in a prefect world) or find a good store (where sellers do no try just to close the deal) and choose something in price range of Mexican made guitar.
And yes 0 remember that guitar loses 0% if its value just after you left the store smile))

  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #9 posted 06/11/18 4:27pm

KoolEaze

avatar

Wow, thank you so much for posting those examples. Very well explained, too.

Really appreciate the effort.

" I´d rather be a stank ass hoe because I´m not stupid. Oh my goodness! I got more drugs! I´m always funny dude...I´m hilarious! Are we gonna smoke?"




http://kooleasehvac.com/
  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #10 posted 06/12/18 1:43am

Knightoflight

KoolEaze said:

Wow, thank you so much for posting those examples. Very well explained, too.

Really appreciate the effort.

yes

  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #11 posted 06/12/18 4:39am

vlammie

For those interested, the second part of the production run of the limited edition will be ready in 3 weeks.

I'm sold out since a long time, but maybe one of the dealers still might have one available that's not spoken for...

We also released a new version of our 'regular' mad cat re-issue model last week on what should have been Prince's 60th birthday.... sad

This "version 2" re-issue mad cat shares some of the features we first introduced in the limited edition mad cat this thread is about.

The most important being the bridge pickup position, the 4-way switch and the new pickups by Heartbreaker pickups, made here in Belgium.

They measured the pickups in my original 1984 mad cat, and got rid of most of the noise, I'm really happy with the results.

About the fake copies, I get emails from time to time about customers who were tricked into thinking it's a real one.

Only a handful of authorized dealers sell the real thing, and they are all on the website.

If you're not sure, feel free to contact me on our website or facebook page.

  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #12 posted 06/12/18 12:33pm

Knightoflight

vlammie said:

For those interested, the second part of the production run of the limited edition will be ready in 3 weeks.

I'm sold out since a long time, but maybe one of the dealers still might have one available that's not spoken for...

We also released a new version of our 'regular' mad cat re-issue model last week on what should have been Prince's 60th birthday.... sad

This "version 2" re-issue mad cat shares some of the features we first introduced in the limited edition mad cat this thread is about.

The most important being the bridge pickup position, the 4-way switch and the new pickups by Heartbreaker pickups, made here in Belgium.

They measured the pickups in my original 1984 mad cat, and got rid of most of the noise, I'm really happy with the results.

About the fake copies, I get emails from time to time about customers who were tricked into thinking it's a real one.

Only a handful of authorized dealers sell the real thing, and they are all on the website.

If you're not sure, feel free to contact me on our website or facebook page.

After this you owe me Moridaira souvenir smile

Indeed, thank you Dany for fantastic project!!!! hug

  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
  New topic   Printable     (Log in to 'subscribe' to this topic)
« Previous topic  Next topic »
Forums > Art, Podcasts, & Fan Content > Demo of HS Anderson MadCat Limited Edition