independent and unofficial
Prince fan community site
Mon 24th Sep 2018 6:33pm
Welcome! Sign up or enter username and password to remember me
Forum jump
Forums > Politics & Religion > Spike Lee's BlacKkKlansman opens 1 year after Charlottesville
« Previous topic  Next topic »
Page 4 of 4 <1234
Reply   New topic   Printable     (Log in to 'subscribe' to this topic)
Reply #90 posted 08/19/18 2:03pm

DiminutiveRock
er

avatar

Boots Riley, the director of "Sorry to Bother You" (a film I also recommend) has tremendous repect for Lee as a director and an inspiration to him personally, but he attacks the "trueness" of BkK. The story is based on Stalworth's memoir therefore a lot of it cannot be verified and we must take his word for it. Lee also embellished a bit for effect, which I am not opposed to.

Riley makes some good points on the authenticity of certain facts, but I take exception to some of his critiques. For instance today, the BLM movement and Kap's kneeling focus on police brutality while in this film policemen take on the KkK... seems kind of ironic. However, Lee does show a balance of how both types of cops exist.


Article contains movie SPOILERS - should be read only after seeing the movie:

https://pitchfork.com/news/boots-riley-shares-scathing-political-critique-of-spike-lees-blackkklansman/

"'Were it left to me to decide whether we should have a government without newspapers, or newspapers without a government, I should not hesitate a moment to prefer the latter.'' - Thomas Jefferson
 Reply w/quote - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #91 posted 08/26/18 7:42pm

djThunderfunk

avatar

This weekend it's at #8 with another $5.3M for a total so far of $32M.

http://www.joblo.com/movi...6-2018-135

We were HERE, where were you?

4 those that knew the number and didn't call... fk all y'all!
 Reply w/quote - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #92 posted 08/26/18 10:50pm

DiminutiveRock
er

avatar

Has anyone else see this movie yet? I am curious about what ya'll think?

"'Were it left to me to decide whether we should have a government without newspapers, or newspapers without a government, I should not hesitate a moment to prefer the latter.'' - Thomas Jefferson
 Reply w/quote - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #93 posted 08/27/18 3:53pm

000000

Amazing, amazing film. One of Spike's finest. Powerful. I left the movie feeling upbeat & inspired. The Prince song at the end "Mary Dont You weep" brought the message & movie home . I cannot say enough good things about the movie. 5 stars.

 Reply w/quote - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #94 posted 08/27/18 7:02pm

djThunderfunk

avatar

Spike Lee has responded to Boot Riley's criticisms of BlacKkKlansman.

https://www.hollywoodrepo...sm-1137276


In the video at the link, Spike can be seen wearing 2 different Prince t-shirts. True story... biggrin




[Edited 8/27/18 19:05pm]

We were HERE, where were you?

4 those that knew the number and didn't call... fk all y'all!
 Reply w/quote - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #95 posted 08/27/18 11:01pm

DiminutiveRock
er

avatar

000000 said:

Amazing, amazing film. One of Spike's finest. Powerful. I left the movie feeling upbeat & inspired. The Prince song at the end "Mary Dont You weep" brought the message & movie home . I cannot say enough good things about the movie. 5 stars.



I was feeling really sad and somewhat angry when I left the theater. Some people felt like it illustrated how far we have not come as a society with regards to racism and felt depressed about that.

IMO, Spike's films, even the ones that aren't as well received, are always interesting. This one was very well done.

"'Were it left to me to decide whether we should have a government without newspapers, or newspapers without a government, I should not hesitate a moment to prefer the latter.'' - Thomas Jefferson
 Reply w/quote - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #96 posted 08/30/18 11:19am

000000

DiminutiveRocker said:

000000 said:

Amazing, amazing film. One of Spike's finest. Powerful. I left the movie feeling upbeat & inspired. The Prince song at the end "Mary Dont You weep" brought the message & movie home . I cannot say enough good things about the movie. 5 stars.



I was feeling really sad and somewhat angry when I left the theater. Some people felt like it illustrated how far we have not come as a society with regards to racism and felt depressed about that.

IMO, Spike's films, even the ones that aren't as well received, are always interesting. This one was very well done.

Don't feel bad. "Sunlight is the best disinfectant." It's a good thing people are waking up & seeing what's happening. No need to be sad, angry, or fear. Life is good! God is in control. Peace.

 Reply w/quote - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #97 posted 08/31/18 12:09am

DiminutiveRock
er

avatar

000000 said:

DiminutiveRocker said:



I was feeling really sad and somewhat angry when I left the theater. Some people felt like it illustrated how far we have not come as a society with regards to racism and felt depressed about that.

IMO, Spike's films, even the ones that aren't as well received, are always interesting. This one was very well done.

Don't feel bad. "Sunlight is the best disinfectant." It's a good thing people are waking up & seeing what's happening. No need to be sad, angry, or fear. Life is good! God is in control. Peace.


Um... the footage of the young woman who was killed in Charlottesville?... did you see the movie?

"'Were it left to me to decide whether we should have a government without newspapers, or newspapers without a government, I should not hesitate a moment to prefer the latter.'' - Thomas Jefferson
 Reply w/quote - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #98 posted 08/31/18 8:18pm

000000

DiminutiveRocker said:

000000 said:

Don't feel bad. "Sunlight is the best disinfectant." It's a good thing people are waking up & seeing what's happening. No need to be sad, angry, or fear. Life is good! God is in control. Peace.


Um... the footage of the young woman who was killed in Charlottesville?... did you see the movie?

I did. The footage of the young woman killed was quite sad but unless people see things as they are we'll continue to go backward.

 Reply w/quote - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #99 posted 09/02/18 8:03pm

Ugot2shakesumt
hin

avatar

Honestly not a very good movie. Reminded me of a really bad old fashioned tv sitcom. I’ll give it a few points for adding the real footage of Charlottesville because of how strong an inpact that made on me. But far from Spikes better movies.
Crooked Donnie. Lock him up!
 Reply w/quote - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #100 posted 09/03/18 10:05am

DiminutiveRock
er

avatar

Ugot2shakesumthin said:

Honestly not a very good movie. Reminded me of a really bad old fashioned tv sitcom. I’ll give it a few points for adding the real footage of Charlottesville because of how strong an inpact that made on me. But far from Spikes better movies.


I would count it as one of is best. Certainly one of his better reviewed films.

"'Were it left to me to decide whether we should have a government without newspapers, or newspapers without a government, I should not hesitate a moment to prefer the latter.'' - Thomas Jefferson
 Reply w/quote - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #101 posted 09/03/18 10:08am

Ugot2shakesumt
hin

avatar

DiminutiveRocker said:



Ugot2shakesumthin said:


Honestly not a very good movie. Reminded me of a really bad old fashioned tv sitcom. I’ll give it a few points for adding the real footage of Charlottesville because of how strong an inpact that made on me. But far from Spikes better movies.


I would count it as one of is best. Certainly one of his better reviewed films.




I think a lot of the reviews are because of it’s good intentions, and i give it that, but as a film alone it is pretty bad.
Crooked Donnie. Lock him up!
 Reply w/quote - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #102 posted 09/04/18 7:41am

DiminutiveRock
er

avatar

Ugot2shakesumthin said:

DiminutiveRocker said:


I would count it as one of is best. Certainly one of his better reviewed films.

I think a lot of the reviews are because of it’s good intentions, and i give it that, but as a film alone it is pretty bad.


I disagree - I think it's one of Spike's best.... and I am not alone. smile

"'Were it left to me to decide whether we should have a government without newspapers, or newspapers without a government, I should not hesitate a moment to prefer the latter.'' - Thomas Jefferson
 Reply w/quote - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #103 posted 09/04/18 9:10am

Ugot2shakesumt
hin

avatar

DiminutiveRocker said:



Ugot2shakesumthin said:


DiminutiveRocker said:



I would count it as one of is best. Certainly one of his better reviewed films.



I think a lot of the reviews are because of it’s good intentions, and i give it that, but as a film alone it is pretty bad.


I disagree - I think it's one of Spike's best.... and I am not alone. smile



I think Do The Right Thing is a straight up classic on so many levels. From direction, cinematography, script, acting, tone, everything. This new movie is nowhere near that.

My date liked it a lot I might add, but i am a film snob and am hypercritical of all films.
Crooked Donnie. Lock him up!
 Reply w/quote - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #104 posted 09/04/18 10:53am

DiminutiveRock
er

avatar

Ugot2shakesumthin said:

DiminutiveRocker said:


I disagree - I think it's one of Spike's best.... and I am not alone. smile

I think Do The Right Thing is a straight up classic on so many levels. From direction, cinematography, script, acting, tone, everything. This new movie is nowhere near that. My date liked it a lot I might add, but i am a film snob and am hypercritical of all films.




I am also a film buff. The direction in BlacKkKlansman is signature Spike Lee, IMO.

It is an important film for this current socio-political climate and he tackled the issue of racism (yet again) with a bulls-eye shot linking it all directly to recent incidents like Charlottesville

clapping nicely done, Spike.



















[Edited 9/4/18 10:54am]

"'Were it left to me to decide whether we should have a government without newspapers, or newspapers without a government, I should not hesitate a moment to prefer the latter.'' - Thomas Jefferson
 Reply w/quote - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #105 posted 09/04/18 11:04am

2elijah

avatar

DiminutiveRocker said:



Ugot2shakesumthin said:


DiminutiveRocker said:



I disagree - I think it's one of Spike's best.... and I am not alone. smile



I think Do The Right Thing is a straight up classic on so many levels. From direction, cinematography, script, acting, tone, everything. This new movie is nowhere near that. My date liked it a lot I might add, but i am a film snob and am hypercritical of all films.




I am also a film buff. The direction in BlacKkKlansman is signature Spike Lee, IMO.

It is an important film for this current socio-political climate and he tackled the issue of racism (yet again) with a bulls-eye shot linking it all directly to recent incidents like Charlottesville

clapping nicely done, Spike.



















[Edited 9/4/18 10:54am]


Absolutely. I do think that Do the Right Thing tackled that socio-political climate of that era, as this film is doing the same for this era. Good job for Spike. I wasn’t a fan for all of his films but both those films were on point.
FEARLESS
 Reply w/quote - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #106 posted 09/10/18 10:34pm

Goddess4Real

avatar

2elijah said:

DiminutiveRocker said:




I am also a film buff. The direction in BlacKkKlansman is signature Spike Lee, IMO.

It is an important film for this current socio-political climate and he tackled the issue of racism (yet again) with a bulls-eye shot linking it all directly to recent incidents like Charlottesville

clapping nicely done, Spike.



















[Edited 9/4/18 10:54am]

Absolutely. I do think that Do the Right Thing tackled that socio-political climate of that era, as this film is doing the same for this era. Good job for Spike. I wasn’t a fan for all of his films but both those films were on point.

yeahthat most def gonna get it on blu-ray nod

Keep Calm & Listen To Prince
 Reply w/quote - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #107 posted 09/11/18 7:22am

Graycap23

avatar

2018 AmeriKKKa:

Yes....I'm in a Cult. We brainwash people into THINKING ............4 Themselves. FAMILIAR BONDAGE OVER FOREIGN FREEDOM
 Reply w/quote - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #108 posted 09/22/18 2:09pm

herb4

avatar

Graycap23 said:

2018 AmeriKKKa:


TrumpVoters.jpg

Yeah, fuck these people.

I like Spike a lot and want to see this. Do the Right Thing, He Got Game, Malcom X, are fantastic. Bamboozled is underrated and Clockers is intersting enough but not as good as the book.

The really overlooked movie in his filmography is the 25th Hour, which no one ever talks about.

 Reply w/quote - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #109 posted 09/22/18 4:01pm

poppys

^^ Thanks herb. I'll have to check out 25th hour. Haven't seen it.


 Reply w/quote - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #110 posted 09/24/18 5:00am

Ugot2shakesumt
hin

avatar

2elijah said:

DiminutiveRocker said:



Ugot2shakesumthin said:


DiminutiveRocker said:



I disagree - I think it's one of Spike's best.... and I am not alone. smile



I think Do The Right Thing is a straight up classic on so many levels. From direction, cinematography, script, acting, tone, everything. This new movie is nowhere near that. My date liked it a lot I might add, but i am a film snob and am hypercritical of all films.




I am also a film buff. The direction in BlacKkKlansman is signature Spike Lee, IMO.

It is an important film for this current socio-political climate and he tackled the issue of racism (yet again) with a bulls-eye shot linking it all directly to recent incidents like Charlottesville

clapping nicely done, Spike.



















[Edited 9/4/18 10:54am]


Absolutely. I do think that Do the Right Thing tackled that socio-political climate of that era, as this film is doing the same for this era. Good job for Spike. I wasn’t a fan for all of his films but both those films were on point.


Yeah no, Spike seems lost with his direction. It is sloppy and bizarre. It’s get sympathy from vote from me and most critics because of the of the topic. I can admit that I would be brutal to it if it wasn’t for the films good intentions.
Crooked Donnie. Lock him up!
 Reply w/quote - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Page 4 of 4 <1234
Reply   New topic   Printable     (Log in to 'subscribe' to this topic)
« Previous topic  Next topic »
Forums > Politics & Religion > Spike Lee's BlacKkKlansman opens 1 year after Charlottesville