independent and unofficial
Prince fan community site
Sat 20th Oct 2018 10:12am
Welcome! Sign up or enter username and password to remember me
Forum jump
Forums > Politics & Religion > Almost 2000 children separated from families at US border following Trump administration 'zero tolerance' policy
« Previous topic  Next topic »
Page 13 of 13 « First<45678910111213
  New topic   Printable     (Log in to 'subscribe' to this topic)
Reply #360 posted 07/31/18 2:32pm

benni

jjhunsecker said:

DiminutiveRocker said:

Yes, I completley agree. I have a good friend, she is very smart and super liberal and is the first person to speak up against political and social inequality. She married a man of Chinese decent whose family hails from Jamaica! She is a blond blue-eyed Irish gal from Boston. Her six children are mixed race and are gorgeous. She and I and one of her older daughters were talking about the Bill Maher "N word" incident and the topic of white privilege came up. My friend was not really sure exactly what "white privilege" referred to and never dissected what it meant, even in her own life since she felt like she was open and liberal and on the side of right when it came to race. But her daughter (who has experienced prejudice against Asians) explained it very clearly and with examples. After word my friend felt enlightened and realized that white people often are not self-aware and do or say things without even thinking.

To me, the greatest manisfestation of "White Privilege" is that White people are almost always seen as individuals, whereas minorites (especially Blacks, Hispanics , and Muslims) are often looked at as a group, as if every member of that group knows and is responsible for all the statements and actions of other members of their group. So for example, if I as a Black man walk into a store, I'm often profiled and followed because perhaps some other Black person might have stolen something from there. Yet Whites are never profiled the same way, or held accountable for the actions of other White people.


jj, that is actually an excellent point and one that I know I hadn't considered before. Even in news reports about crimes, the headlines are almost always "Black man committed such and such crime" but when a white person does the crime it's just "Such and such arrested for crime..." They don't mention the color of the white person, but always make sure to mention that a person of color of commited some crime. It's not just marginalizing an entire race of people based upon the actions of one person, but as though they are somehow first and foremost the color of their skin and everything after that is of no consequence. Even when a star makes it big...."Prince was a black man who made it big in the music industry." Or, "First black man to do this..."

I have a friend that said she does the same thing when she goes in the store. She makes sure to never wear bulky coats in the winter, always makes sure her purse is closed and in her cart before going into the store and she will not touch her purse the entire time she is in the store until she is ready to check out. This is just two more examples of white privilege that we whites take for granted. I never think about whether I'm wearing a bulky coat or whether my purse is open or closed or if it's in the cart or on my shoulder. If my phone rings, I think nothing about digging around in my purse to find it. And I know if I'm ever reported in the news, not that I would be, but it would not "white woman..."

[Edited 7/31/18 14:34pm]

  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #361 posted 07/31/18 5:12pm

benni

https://www.pbs.org/newsh...icial-says

Trump administration was warned of ‘traumatic psychological injury’ from family separations, official says

  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #362 posted 07/31/18 9:23pm

jjhunsecker

avatar

benni said:



jjhunsecker said:




DiminutiveRocker said:




Yes, I completley agree. I have a good friend, she is very smart and super liberal and is the first person to speak up against political and social inequality. She married a man of Chinese decent whose family hails from Jamaica! She is a blond blue-eyed Irish gal from Boston. Her six children are mixed race and are gorgeous. She and I and one of her older daughters were talking about the Bill Maher "N word" incident and the topic of white privilege came up. My friend was not really sure exactly what "white privilege" referred to and never dissected what it meant, even in her own life since she felt like she was open and liberal and on the side of right when it came to race. But her daughter (who has experienced prejudice against Asians) explained it very clearly and with examples. After word my friend felt enlightened and realized that white people often are not self-aware and do or say things without even thinking.




To me, the greatest manisfestation of "White Privilege" is that White people are almost always seen as individuals, whereas minorites (especially Blacks, Hispanics , and Muslims) are often looked at as a group, as if every member of that group knows and is responsible for all the statements and actions of other members of their group. So for example, if I as a Black man walk into a store, I'm often profiled and followed because perhaps some other Black person might have stolen something from there. Yet Whites are never profiled the same way, or held accountable for the actions of other White people.




jj, that is actually an excellent point and one that I know I hadn't considered before. Even in news reports about crimes, the headlines are almost always "Black man committed such and such crime" but when a white person does the crime it's just "Such and such arrested for crime..." They don't mention the color of the white person, but always make sure to mention that a person of color of commited some crime. It's not just marginalizing an entire race of people based upon the actions of one person, but as though they are somehow first and foremost the color of their skin and everything after that is of no consequence. Even when a star makes it big...."Prince was a black man who made it big in the music industry." Or, "First black man to do this..."

I have a friend that said she does the same thing when she goes in the store. She makes sure to never wear bulky coats in the winter, always makes sure her purse is closed and in her cart before going into the store and she will not touch her purse the entire time she is in the store until she is ready to check out. This is just two more examples of white privilege that we whites take for granted. I never think about whether I'm wearing a bulky coat or whether my purse is open or closed or if it's in the cart or on my shoulder. If my phone rings, I think nothing about digging around in my purse to find it. And I know if I'm ever reported in the news, not that I would be, but it would not "white woman..."

[Edited 7/31/18 14:34pm]



It's like if a Black person does something fucked up , they're labeled a "ghetto thug" and their behavior is just how "they " always are. If they're Latino, they're probably "MS-13 gangbangers". If a Muslim does something messed up, it must be "terrorist" related. But if it's a White guy, he must be "one crazy dude ". Nobody questions his or her "cultural values ", or how they were raised. Again, they are seen strictly as individuals.
  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #363 posted 08/01/18 2:15pm

DiminutiveRock
er

avatar

jjhunsecker said:

benni said:


jj, that is actually an excellent point and one that I know I hadn't considered before. Even in news reports about crimes, the headlines are almost always "Black man committed such and such crime" but when a white person does the crime it's just "Such and such arrested for crime..." They don't mention the color of the white person, but always make sure to mention that a person of color of commited some crime. It's not just marginalizing an entire race of people based upon the actions of one person, but as though they are somehow first and foremost the color of their skin and everything after that is of no consequence. Even when a star makes it big...."Prince was a black man who made it big in the music industry." Or, "First black man to do this..."

I have a friend that said she does the same thing when she goes in the store. She makes sure to never wear bulky coats in the winter, always makes sure her purse is closed and in her cart before going into the store and she will not touch her purse the entire time she is in the store until she is ready to check out. This is just two more examples of white privilege that we whites take for granted. I never think about whether I'm wearing a bulky coat or whether my purse is open or closed or if it's in the cart or on my shoulder. If my phone rings, I think nothing about digging around in my purse to find it. And I know if I'm ever reported in the news, not that I would be, but it would not "white woman..."

[Edited 7/31/18 14:34pm]

It's like if a Black person does something fucked up , they're labeled a "ghetto thug" and their behavior is just how "they " always are. If they're Latino, they're probably "MS-13 gangbangers". If a Muslim does something messed up, it must be "terrorist" related. But if it's a White guy, he must be "one crazy dude ". Nobody questions his or her "cultural values ", or how they were raised. Again, they are seen strictly as individuals.



yeahthat

"'Were it left to me to decide whether we should have a government without newspapers, or newspapers without a government, I should not hesitate a moment to prefer the latter.'' - Thomas Jefferson
  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #364 posted 08/01/18 2:42pm

poppys

DiminutiveRocker said:

jjhunsecker said:

benni said: It's like if a Black person does something fucked up , they're labeled a "ghetto thug" and their behavior is just how "they " always are. If they're Latino, they're probably "MS-13 gangbangers". If a Muslim does something messed up, it must be "terrorist" related. But if it's a White guy, he must be "one crazy dude ". Nobody questions his or her "cultural values ", or how they were raised. Again, they are seen strictly as individuals.



yeahthat


Yep. Racist m'fers BANK on that caveat. Disgusting.

  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #365 posted 08/03/18 7:31am

DiminutiveRock
er

avatar

Riddle me this, Ivanka: If you come to this country at a legal and legit port of entry seeking refuge and asylum - why are you arrested while your toddler children are held in cages and forced to stand before a judge before being shipped off into foster care across the country while you get deported WITHOUT THEM?

"'Were it left to me to decide whether we should have a government without newspapers, or newspapers without a government, I should not hesitate a moment to prefer the latter.'' - Thomas Jefferson
  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #366 posted 08/03/18 8:01am

jjhunsecker

avatar

DiminutiveRocker said:

Riddle me this, Ivanka: If you come to this country at a legal and legit port of entry seeking refuge and asylum - why are you arrested while your toddler children are held in cages and forced to stand before a judge before being shipped off into foster care across the country while you get deported WITHOUT THEM?


Excellent piece from Lawrence O'Donnell on how IVANA TRUMP violated numerous international and American immigration laws to work and live in America.

https://qz.com/1346923/iv...visa-scam/

In the US, marrying Winklmayr for immigration purposes would be a felony called “marriage fraud.” According to ICE, marriage fraud “carries a prison sentence of up to five years and a fine of up to $250,000, and applies to both foreign nationals and U.S. citizens who perpetrate this crime.” Convenience marriages contracted in order to obtain immigration status are illegal also in Austria and Canada.

“She wanted her freedom,” Kennedy said of his client’s sham marriage.

  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #367 posted 08/03/18 2:01pm

DiminutiveRock
er

avatar

jjhunsecker said:

DiminutiveRocker said:

Riddle me this, Ivanka: If you come to this country at a legal and legit port of entry seeking refuge and asylum - why are you arrested while your toddler children are held in cages and forced to stand before a judge before being shipped off into foster care across the country while you get deported WITHOUT THEM?


Excellent piece from Lawrence O'Donnell on how IVANA TRUMP violated numerous international and American immigration laws to work and live in America.

https://qz.com/1346923/iv...visa-scam/

In the US, marrying Winklmayr for immigration purposes would be a felony called “marriage fraud.” According to ICE, marriage fraud “carries a prison sentence of up to five years and a fine of up to $250,000, and applies to both foreign nationals and U.S. citizens who perpetrate this crime.” Convenience marriages contracted in order to obtain immigration status are illegal also in Austria and Canada.

“She wanted her freedom,” Kennedy said of his client’s sham marriage.


Interesting indeed.... hmmm

"'Were it left to me to decide whether we should have a government without newspapers, or newspapers without a government, I should not hesitate a moment to prefer the latter.'' - Thomas Jefferson
  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #368 posted 08/03/18 3:43pm

lazycrockett

avatar

CNN reports: A federal judge called the Trump administration’s slowness to track down migrant parents it had separated from their children and then deported “unacceptable,” saying the responsibility is “100%” on the government. The stern admonishment from District Judge Dana Sabraw came a day after the administration argued that immigrant advocacy groups — not the government — should be responsible for tracking down the more than 500 parents it had separated from their children at the border and deported without them.

“The reality is there are still close to 500 parents that have not been located, many of these parents were removed from the country without their child, all of this is the result of the government’s separation and then inability and failure to track and reunite,” Sabraw said. “And the reality is that for every parent who is not located, there will be a permanent orphaned child, and that is 100% the responsibility of the administration,” he added.

The Most Important Thing In Life Is Sincerity....Once You Can Fake That, You Can Fake Anything.
  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #369 posted 08/04/18 8:32am

DiminutiveRock
er

avatar

lazycrockett said:

CNN reports: A federal judge called the Trump administration’s slowness to track down migrant parents it had separated from their children and then deported “unacceptable,” saying the responsibility is “100%” on the government. The stern admonishment from District Judge Dana Sabraw came a day after the administration argued that immigrant advocacy groups — not the government — should be responsible for tracking down the more than 500 parents it had separated from their children at the border and deported without them.

“The reality is there are still close to 500 parents that have not been located, many of these parents were removed from the country without their child, all of this is the result of the government’s separation and then inability and failure to track and reunite,” Sabraw said. “And the reality is that for every parent who is not located, there will be a permanent orphaned child, and that is 100% the responsibility of the administration,” he added.

This makes me sick to my stomach. There is a firey place in hell of all of those complicit in this human rights violation. Fuck Sessions and Trump and Miller and Pence and Bannon.

"'Were it left to me to decide whether we should have a government without newspapers, or newspapers without a government, I should not hesitate a moment to prefer the latter.'' - Thomas Jefferson
  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #370 posted 08/05/18 7:43pm

lazycrockett

avatar

This stopped me cold: The ACLU says the government has phone numbers for some of the parents who were deported without their children. But the government has resisted turning those numbers over, saying in court that doing so would be "burdensome." https://twitter.com/MWatk...1087897600 … Matthew Watkins ✔ @MWatkinsTrib “For every parent who is not located, there will be a permanently orphaned child. And that is 100 percent the responsibility of the administration.” https://www.texastribune....ium=social

The Most Important Thing In Life Is Sincerity....Once You Can Fake That, You Can Fake Anything.
  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #371 posted 08/06/18 1:47pm

DiminutiveRock
er

avatar

lazycrockett said:

This stopped me cold: The ACLU says the government has phone numbers for some of the parents who were deported without their children. But the government has resisted turning those numbers over, saying in court that doing so would be "burdensome." https://twitter.com/MWatk...1087897600 … Matthew Watkins ✔ @MWatkinsTrib “For every parent who is not located, there will be a permanently orphaned child. And that is 100 percent the responsibility of the administration.” https://www.texastribune....ium=social


Fuck burdensome - it's a HUMAN RIGHTS ISSUE! disbelief

"'Were it left to me to decide whether we should have a government without newspapers, or newspapers without a government, I should not hesitate a moment to prefer the latter.'' - Thomas Jefferson
  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #372 posted 08/06/18 4:07pm

poppys

lazycrockett said:

This stopped me cold: The ACLU says the government has phone numbers for some of the parents who were deported without their children. But the government has resisted turning those numbers over, saying in court that doing so would be "burdensome." https://twitter.com/MWatkinsTrib/status/1025499481087897600 … Matthew Watkins ✔


@MWatkinsTrib “For every parent who is not located, there will be a permanently orphaned child. And that is 100 percent the responsibility of the administration.” https://www.texastribune....ium=social


How hard is it to turn over a phone #? Are they afraid of lawsuits? Or just Satan personified?

  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #373 posted 08/07/18 11:13am

jjhunsecker

avatar

More horror from Trump and that ugly scumbag Stephen Miller. They are dtermined to "keep America White"

https://www.rollingstone....on-707424/

  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #374 posted 08/07/18 2:23pm

DiminutiveRock
er

avatar

jjhunsecker said:

More horror from Trump and that ugly scumbag Stephen Miller. They are dtermined to "keep America White"

https://www.rollingstone....on-707424/

Stephen Miller is a horror.


I am shocked they are not gettng push-back by industries that employ large numbers of legal workers










[Edited 8/7/18 14:26pm]

"'Were it left to me to decide whether we should have a government without newspapers, or newspapers without a government, I should not hesitate a moment to prefer the latter.'' - Thomas Jefferson
  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #375 posted 08/08/18 9:25am

jjhunsecker

avatar

DiminutiveRocker said:

jjhunsecker said:

More horror from Trump and that ugly scumbag Stephen Miller. They are dtermined to "keep America White"

https://www.rollingstone....on-707424/

Stephen Miller is a horror.


I am shocked they are not gettng push-back by industries that employ large numbers of legal workers










[Edited 8/7/18 14:26pm]

Miller, being a Jew, should know better. Bigots have been persecuting his people for centuries, and killed millions of them

  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #376 posted 08/08/18 11:53am

DiminutiveRock
er

avatar

jjhunsecker said:

DiminutiveRocker said:

Stephen Miller is a horror.


I am shocked they are not gettng push-back by industries that employ large numbers of legal workers










[Edited 8/7/18 14:26pm]

Miller, being a Jew, should know better. Bigots have been persecuting his people for centuries, and killed millions of them

Miller has no empathy for any of these groups past or present - his main objective is to distract and at once satisfy the racist base with a crack down immigration by driving home the notion that it is the immigrants who are causing the problems and economic woes of the down trodden low income white population

"'Were it left to me to decide whether we should have a government without newspapers, or newspapers without a government, I should not hesitate a moment to prefer the latter.'' - Thomas Jefferson
  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #377 posted 08/08/18 3:13pm

poppys

jjhunsecker said:

DiminutiveRocker said:

Stephen Miller is a horror.


I am shocked they are not gettng push-back by industries that employ large numbers of legal workers




Miller, being a Jew, should know better. Bigots have been persecuting his people for centuries, and killed millions of them

Really? That's interesting. When I saw him walking across the white house lawn on video recently he had that Nazi gait. Looked like he was playing into that image. What is it with these people like him and Roseanne? They are SO SICK!

  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #378 posted 08/08/18 3:35pm

13cjk13

poppys said:

jjhunsecker said:



Miller, being a Jew, should know better. Bigots have been persecuting his people for centuries, and killed millions of them

Really? That's interesting. When I saw him walking across the white house lawn on video recently he had that Nazi gait. Looked like he was playing into that image. What is it with these people like him and Roseanne? They are SO SICK!

Deplorable. Plain and simple.

"Our liberty depends on the freedom of the press, and that cannot be limited without being lost".
-Thomas Jefferson
  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #379 posted 08/10/18 12:33pm

lazycrockett

avatar

Kyle Griffin ✔ @kylegriffin1

The ACLU believes that ICE deliberately withheld deported parents' phone numbers for more than a month, despite the fact that this contact information could have helped reunite many families.

https://www.huffingtonpost.com/entry/ice-withheld-deported-parents-numbers-from-lawyers-and-advocates-aclu-says_us_5b6cd9c7e4b0ae32af96b27d?ncid=engmodushpmg0000000 … 2:00 PM - Aug 10, 2018

ICE Withheld Deported Parents' Numbers From Lawyers And Advocates, ACLU Says Immigration attorneys say the government agency deliberately slowed down attempts to reunify migrant families. huffingtonpost.com

The Most Important Thing In Life Is Sincerity....Once You Can Fake That, You Can Fake Anything.
  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #380 posted 08/10/18 1:52pm

DiminutiveRock
er

avatar

lazycrockett said:

Kyle Griffin ✔ @kylegriffin1

The ACLU believes that ICE deliberately withheld deported parents' phone numbers for more than a month, despite the fact that this contact information could have helped reunite many families.

https://www.huffingtonpost.com/entry/ice-withheld-deported-parents-numbers-from-lawyers-and-advocates-aclu-says_us_5b6cd9c7e4b0ae32af96b27d?ncid=engmodushpmg0000000 … 2:00 PM - Aug 10, 2018

ICE Withheld Deported Parents' Numbers From Lawyers And Advocates, ACLU Says Immigration attorneys say the government agency deliberately slowed down attempts to reunify migrant families. huffingtonpost.com

Sickening! mad

"'Were it left to me to decide whether we should have a government without newspapers, or newspapers without a government, I should not hesitate a moment to prefer the latter.'' - Thomas Jefferson
  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #381 posted 08/10/18 2:06pm

benni

I am so done with this administration and all it stands for. Is it November 2019 yet? I want to vote these lowlifes out of that office!

  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #382 posted 08/10/18 2:14pm

poppys

benni said:

I am so done with this administration and all it stands for. Is it November 2019 yet? I want to vote these lowlifes out of that office!

hammer

  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #383 posted 08/10/18 9:47pm

DiminutiveRock
er

avatar

poppys said:

benni said:

I am so done with this administration and all it stands for. Is it November 2019 yet? I want to vote these lowlifes out of that office!

hammer



It's a new low of recent years... so regressive, heartless. The current administration is trash.

"'Were it left to me to decide whether we should have a government without newspapers, or newspapers without a government, I should not hesitate a moment to prefer the latter.'' - Thomas Jefferson
  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #384 posted 08/11/18 6:45am

2elijah

avatar

DiminutiveRocker said:



jjhunsecker said:




DiminutiveRocker said:




Stephen Miller is a horror.


I am shocked they are not gettng push-back by industries that employ large numbers of legal workers











[Edited 8/7/18 14:26pm]




Miller, being a Jew, should know better. Bigots have been persecuting his people for centuries, and killed millions of them




Miller has no empathy for any of these groups past or present - his main objective is to distract and at once satisfy the racist base with a crack down immigration by driving home the notion that it is the immigrants who are causing the problems and economic woes of the down trodden low income white population


Because they don’t want to accept their own failures, so blaming it on someone else is always easy. Trump and Miller feed into the fears, jealousy, prejudices of many within that group. They don’t care about them, but trump uses them for votes by playing into their fears and those whomalready harbor, ingrained racial prejudice. They’re just his puppets for votes. I bet most of them aren’t aware they’re being conned for votes.
[Edited 8/11/18 6:49am]
FEARLESS
  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #385 posted 08/11/18 8:37am

jjhunsecker

avatar

2elijah said:

DiminutiveRocker said:

Miller has no empathy for any of these groups past or present - his main objective is to distract and at once satisfy the racist base with a crack down immigration by driving home the notion that it is the immigrants who are causing the problems and economic woes of the down trodden low income white population

Because they don’t want to accept their own failures, so blaming it on someone else is always easy. Trump and Miller feed into the fears, jealousy, prejudices of many within that group. They don’t care about them, but trump uses them for votes by playing into their fears and those whomalready harbor, ingrained racial prejudice. They’re just his puppets for votes. I bet most of them aren’t aware they’re being conned for votes. [Edited 8/11/18 6:49am]

I've always beleived that Trump is actually laughing at the people who support him, considering them stupid jerks who he was able to con

  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #386 posted 08/11/18 9:16am

poppys

jjhunsecker said:

2elijah said:

Because they don’t want to accept their own failures, so blaming it on someone else is always easy. Trump and Miller feed into the fears, jealousy, prejudices of many within that group. They don’t care about them, but trump uses them for votes by playing into their fears and those whomalready harbor, ingrained racial prejudice. They’re just his puppets for votes. I bet most of them aren’t aware they’re being conned for votes.


I've always beleived that Trump is actually laughing at the people who support him, considering them stupid jerks who he was able to con

nod Suckers!

  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #387 posted 08/11/18 6:39pm

DiminutiveRock
er

avatar

jjhunsecker said:

2elijah said:

DiminutiveRocker said: Because they don’t want to accept their own failures, so blaming it on someone else is always easy. Trump and Miller feed into the fears, jealousy, prejudices of many within that group. They don’t care about them, but trump uses them for votes by playing into their fears and those whomalready harbor, ingrained racial prejudice. They’re just his puppets for votes. I bet most of them aren’t aware they’re being conned for votes. [Edited 8/11/18 6:49am]

I've always beleived that Trump is actually laughing at the people who support him, considering them stupid jerks who he was able to con


I don't think he is that clever, nor does he care about anything or anyone not in his immediate presence.

"'Were it left to me to decide whether we should have a government without newspapers, or newspapers without a government, I should not hesitate a moment to prefer the latter.'' - Thomas Jefferson
  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Page 13 of 13 « First<45678910111213
  New topic   Printable     (Log in to 'subscribe' to this topic)
« Previous topic  Next topic »
Forums > Politics & Religion > Almost 2000 children separated from families at US border following Trump administration 'zero tolerance' policy