independent and unofficial
Prince fan community site
Thu 14th Dec 2017 9:13am
Welcome! Sign up or enter username and password to remember me
Forum jump
Forums > Politics & Religion > Why so many sexual harassment cases in US, not UK?
« Previous topic  Next topic »
Reply   New topic   Printable     (Log in to 'subscribe' to this topic)
Author

Tweet     Share

Message
Thread started 11/22/17 3:05pm

CherryMoon57

Why so many sexual harassment cases in US, not UK?


'There are huge differences between UK and US media law - does this explain why more Americans are being accused of sexual harassment?

By Owen AmosBBC News, Washington DC
  • 21 November 2017


On 5 October, Harvey Weinstein was accused of sexual abuse and the dam broke.

Since then, dozens of well-known Americans have been accused of sexual misconduct of some kind.


This isn't drip-drip. It's a flood.


The list includes film stars such as Kevin Spacey, politicians such as Roy Moore, and journalists such as Mark Halperin.

The deluge of allegations swelled this week, engulfing big media names.


While people in other countries have also been accused, the majority of cases are American.


One reason could be US media law and how it differs from other countries.'

Read more


[Edited 11/22/17 15:15pm]

 Reply w/quote - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #1 posted 11/22/17 10:42pm

maplenpg

CherryMoon57 said:


'There are huge differences between UK and US media law - does this explain why more Americans are being accused of sexual harassment?


By Owen AmosBBC News, Washington DC






  • 21 November 2017








On 5 October, Harvey Weinstein was accused of sexual abuse and the dam broke.


Since then, dozens of well-known Americans have been accused of sexual misconduct of some kind.



This isn't drip-drip. It's a flood.



The list includes film stars such as Kevin Spacey, politicians such as Roy Moore, and journalists such as Mark Halperin.


The deluge of allegations swelled this week, engulfing big media names.



While people in other countries have also been accused, the majority of cases are American.



One reason could be US media law and how it differs from other countries.'

Read more



[Edited 11/22/17 15:15pm]


An interesting article which raises some interesting points. We could ask what the British media knows but isn't allowed to publish (esp the BBC) or we could suggest that the flood in America is the better option, even if some stories may be inaccurate, as there may be a hidden flood here that the public are unaware of. Listening to how the police are struggling to cope with the sheer volume of British abuse complaints suggests that people are coming forward even if we don't hear about it in the press. I don't think we've never had a flood here though - when the Saville case broke, we saw a number of both celebrities investigated and charged as people felt empowered to speak up. And plenty of British people seem to be coming forward to speak about Spacey when he was working in London. The media has got it wrong in Britain too, for example with Cliff Richard, so we can't hold ourselves in any sort of golden light.
 Reply w/quote - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #2 posted 11/23/17 3:40am

CherryMoon57

maplenpg said:

CherryMoon57 said:


'There are huge differences between UK and US media law - does this explain why more Americans are being accused of sexual harassment?

By Owen AmosBBC News, Washington DC
  • 21 November 2017


On 5 October, Harvey Weinstein was accused of sexual abuse and the dam broke.

Since then, dozens of well-known Americans have been accused of sexual misconduct of some kind.


This isn't drip-drip. It's a flood.


The list includes film stars such as Kevin Spacey, politicians such as Roy Moore, and journalists such as Mark Halperin.

The deluge of allegations swelled this week, engulfing big media names.


While people in other countries have also been accused, the majority of cases are American.


One reason could be US media law and how it differs from other countries.'

Read more


[Edited 11/22/17 15:15pm]

An interesting article which raises some interesting points. We could ask what the British media knows but isn't allowed to publish (esp the BBC) or we could suggest that the flood in America is the better option, even if some stories may be inaccurate, as there may be a hidden flood here that the public are unaware of. Listening to how the police are struggling to cope with the sheer volume of British abuse complaints suggests that people are coming forward even if we don't hear about it in the press. I don't think we've never had a flood here though - when the Saville case broke, we saw a number of both celebrities investigated and charged as people felt empowered to speak up. And plenty of British people seem to be coming forward to speak about Spacey when he was working in London. The media has got it wrong in Britain too, for example with Cliff Richard, so we can't hold ourselves in any sort of golden light.


I think it's only a matter of time over here in the UK, as if and once the many reported cases are confirmed, we will still end up hearing about them. This could mean a delayed 'flood', as it happened after the Jimmy Saville case. As long as it empowers innocent victims to speak up, it's all good in my view.

 Reply w/quote - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #3 posted 11/23/17 4:54am

spacedolphin

avatar

Mass shootings and their corrupt government

music
 Reply w/quote - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #4 posted 11/23/17 9:04am

2elijah

avatar

I believe it happens there as in any other country. Just not as out in the open yet,by the media there, as it is now in the U.S. media.
'Trump voters got Hoodwinked by Trump' popcorn coke
 Reply w/quote - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #5 posted 11/23/17 4:34pm

SuperFurryAnim
al

avatar

Their was NWO/Globalists exposed in UK. Pedosatanic-gangs that roamed the country and those in the government and they were exposed. Thatcher gov covered up VIP pedo rings connected to gov.

You better Watch Out! I'm a WAR MACHINE!
 Reply w/quote - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #6 posted 11/23/17 4:40pm

SuperFurryAnim
al

avatar

2elijah said:

I believe it happens there as in any other country. Just not as out in the open yet,by the media there, as it is now in the U.S. media.

Entities are working to expose Hollywood and DC in particular right now and more will be exposed soon.

You better Watch Out! I'm a WAR MACHINE!
 Reply w/quote - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #7 posted 11/23/17 8:53pm

PennyPurple

avatar

Didn't the British Media used to be ruthless? Did that change a bit after Princess Di's death?

 Reply w/quote - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #8 posted 11/24/17 2:37am

hausofmoi7

avatar

SuperFurryAnimal said:

Their was NWO/Globalists exposed in UK. Pedosatanic-gangs that roamed the country and those in the government and they were exposed. Thatcher gov covered up VIP pedo rings connected to gov.


It's super creepy when the alt right ignore Roy Moore in this discussion.
Trump just defended Roy Moore because he supports the tax cuts that benefits him.
If white supremacist leaders are also doing what Roy Moore is accused of, the alt right will defend it for ideological reasons.


.
[Edited 11/24/17 3:13am]
"It means finding the very human narrative of a man navigating between idealism and pragmatism, faith and politics, non-violence, the pitfalls of acclaim as the perils of rejection" – Lesley Hazleton on the first muslim, the prophet.
 Reply w/quote - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #9 posted 11/24/17 2:50am

hausofmoi7

avatar

Just because I'm a leftist currently living in Australia doesn't mean I wouldn't call out Gough Whitlam.



.
"It means finding the very human narrative of a man navigating between idealism and pragmatism, faith and politics, non-violence, the pitfalls of acclaim as the perils of rejection" – Lesley Hazleton on the first muslim, the prophet.
 Reply w/quote - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #10 posted 11/24/17 8:55am

2freaky4church
1

avatar

haus, easy to be a leftist in a wonderland like Aus.

DJ is da man
"2freaky is very down." 2Elijah.
"2freaky convinced me to join Antifa: OnlyNDA
 Reply w/quote - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #11 posted 11/24/17 5:15pm

hausofmoi7

avatar

2freaky4church1 said:

haus, easy to be a leftist in a wonderland like Aus.



Really?
I suppose people do say that about leftists in the U.S also.
Particularly white leftists.


It's really problematic how progressives in U.S view Australia through a white heterosexual cis gender gaze.
Nazi Germany would of been ok for you also 2freaky, not so great for the rest of us.


let's swap places?


you can come to the white mans neo liberal paradise and I can go to America.



[Edited 11/24/17 17:44pm]
[Edited 11/24/17 18:16pm]
"It means finding the very human narrative of a man navigating between idealism and pragmatism, faith and politics, non-violence, the pitfalls of acclaim as the perils of rejection" – Lesley Hazleton on the first muslim, the prophet.
 Reply w/quote - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #12 posted 11/24/17 9:53pm

hausofmoi7

avatar

Australia doesn't have Free Speech laws, it's not something that is culturally valued or encouraged like in the U.S.

So I wouldn't say its easier to be a leftist in Australia.



.
[Edited 11/24/17 21:54pm]
"It means finding the very human narrative of a man navigating between idealism and pragmatism, faith and politics, non-violence, the pitfalls of acclaim as the perils of rejection" – Lesley Hazleton on the first muslim, the prophet.
 Reply w/quote - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #13 posted 11/25/17 4:41am

hausofmoi7

avatar

2freaky4church1 said:

haus, easy to be a leftist in a wonderland like Aus.


My grandmother after having one of her children had to breast feed her neighbors child because her neighbor was so malnourished that she had stopped lactating.
Try explaining Occupy Wall Street to her 2Freaky.

Try explaining to people in Asia that earn 10cent a day that we are fighting for minimum wage increases when we currently earn more in an hour than they will earn in a year.

We should be in solidarity and not punching sideways.




.
"It means finding the very human narrative of a man navigating between idealism and pragmatism, faith and politics, non-violence, the pitfalls of acclaim as the perils of rejection" – Lesley Hazleton on the first muslim, the prophet.
 Reply w/quote - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #14 posted 11/25/17 7:02am

deebee

avatar

PennyPurple said:

Didn't the British Media used to be ruthless? Did that change a bit after Princess Di's death?

Maybe, but they're swaggering with impunity these days. After the phone hacking scandal in 2011, there was a public inquiry into press conduct, which came back with a list of recommendations. But most of the political class are so in hock to Murdoch, in particular, that the Tory government welched on implementing them. (Stories at the time showed the cosy relationship between the PM and the editor of Murdoch's News of the World, which had been caught hacking phones.) They know now that that no-one will touch them now, other than if Labour gets in with Corbyn as leader (if it's a Blairite, no chance!) - and, even then, they still wield tremendous power. It's not by coincidence that the smears against Corbyn have been vicious.

A recent example of the untouchable status of the Murdoch press in Britain: A longtime Sun columnist, Trevor Kavanagh, was cleared this week by the Independent Press Standards Organisation (IPSO) - the press regulatory body - after having written a column in which he referred to "The Muslim Problem." It was clearly meant as a provocation which would echo the historical idea of "The Jewish Problem" or "Jewish Question", and it came shortly after the professional provocateur Katie Hopkins had tweeted, in the wake of the Manchester attacks, that "we need a final solution Manchester." Turns out that Kavanagh - a dyed-in-the-wool Murdoch man - is actually a member of the board of IPSO, the press regulator! It's foxes guarding the hen house.

Kanvanagh had also recently defended his old boss at the Sun Kelvin MacKenzie over a column in which the latter had singled out a Muslim journalist covering the terrorist attacks in Nice, saying she should've been taken off the story. (Why? Did she do it?) In his piece defending the column, Kavanagh went as far as to say that, contra the accusation of singling anyone out, the journalist in question had "singled herself out by dressing as she did." (She was 'asking for it', etc....) Predictably, IPSO also cleared MacKenzie after a complaint was lodged over this. They've basically got a license to do as they please.

[Edited 11/25/17 7:04am]

"Not everything that is faced can be changed; but nothing can be changed until it is faced." - James Baldwin
 Reply w/quote - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #15 posted 11/25/17 8:52am

OnlyNDaUsa

avatar

hausofmoi7 said:

2freaky4church1 said:

haus, easy to be a leftist in a wonderland like Aus.

My grandmother after having one of her children had to breast feed her neighbors child because her neighbor was so malnourished that she had stopped lactating. Try explaining Occupy Wall Street to her 2Freaky. Try explaining to people in Asia that earn 10cent a day that we are fighting for minimum wage increases when we currently earn more in an hour than they will earn in a year. We should be in solidarity and not punching sideways. .

the best cure and really the only cure for poverty is a robust capitalist free market system.

"I was raped by the Arkansas AG who then becomes Governor & President..." Juanita Broaddrick
 Reply w/quote - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #16 posted 11/25/17 9:42am

hausofmoi7

avatar

OnlyNDaUsa said:



hausofmoi7 said:


2freaky4church1 said:

haus, easy to be a leftist in a wonderland like Aus.



My grandmother after having one of her children had to breast feed her neighbors child because her neighbor was so malnourished that she had stopped lactating. Try explaining Occupy Wall Street to her 2Freaky. Try explaining to people in Asia that earn 10cent a day that we are fighting for minimum wage increases when we currently earn more in an hour than they will earn in a year. We should be in solidarity and not punching sideways. .



the best cure and really the only cure for poverty is a robust capitalist free market system.


What are you talking about?

Both examples I provided are actually directly caused by free market capitalism.



.



.
[Edited 11/25/17 9:46am]
[Edited 11/25/17 10:10am]
"It means finding the very human narrative of a man navigating between idealism and pragmatism, faith and politics, non-violence, the pitfalls of acclaim as the perils of rejection" – Lesley Hazleton on the first muslim, the prophet.
 Reply w/quote - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #17 posted 11/25/17 10:19am

OnlyNDaUsa

avatar

hausofmoi7 said:

OnlyNDaUsa said:

the best cure and really the only cure for poverty is a robust capitalist free market system.

What are you talking about? Both examples I provided are actually directly caused by free market capitalism. . . [Edited 11/25/17 9:46am] [Edited 11/25/17 10:10am]

wrong both may have occurred in a somewhat free market capitalist economy but both are caused by poor choices...

"I was raped by the Arkansas AG who then becomes Governor & President..." Juanita Broaddrick
 Reply w/quote - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #18 posted 11/25/17 3:55pm

poppys

I dunno CherryMoon. Maybe y'all are just smarter than us, and less insane. After all you've made it a lot longer than we have. Sometimes I think the US will burn out before we make 300 years.

If your last December came, what would u do?
 Reply w/quote - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply   New topic   Printable     (Log in to 'subscribe' to this topic)
« Previous topic  Next topic »
Forums > Politics & Religion > Why so many sexual harassment cases in US, not UK?