independent and unofficial
Prince fan community site
Wed 13th Dec 2017 6:20pm
Welcome! Sign up or enter username and password to remember me
Forum jump
Forums > Politics & Religion > NRA and The Military Industrial Complex.
« Previous topic  Next topic »
  New topic   Printable     (Log in to 'subscribe' to this topic)
Author

Tweet     Share

Message
Thread started 10/03/17 10:16pm

hausofmoi7

avatar

NRA and The Military Industrial Complex.

If liberals could only extend their logic on gun laws/weapons internationally.





AK-47s kill more in a year than nuclear weapons have in all of history. But NRA lobbying against the Arms Trade Treaty helps keep the pipeline of death flowing.


https://www.google.com.au...riend/amp/

"A step in the right direction is the Arms Trade Treaty (ATT), a United Nations’ proposal to assert some sanity over the trade by creating stricter standards for all cross-border transfers of weapons. As Reuters described it, the treaty “would create binding requirements for states to review cross-border contracts to ensure that weapons will not be used in human rights abuses, terrorism, violations of humanitarian law or organized crime.”

To date, 67 states have ratified the treaty. One conspicuous absence, however, is the United States, which accounts for more than 40 percent of global transfers in conventional arms. To the surprise of no one, the National Rifle Association (NRA), perhaps the most powerful lobbying group in the U.S., has used its clout to block ratification of the treaty.

Though the treaty would not affect U.S. gun owners, this has not stopped the NRA from mongering unsubstantiated conspiracy theories about the U.N. trying to destroy the Second Amendment, asserting “There can be no question that what is taking shape at the U.N. is an all-out attack on the constitutional freedom of American gun owners.”

This is shamefully disingenuous, even by NRA standards. The organization knows that the treaty is not about Americans’ right to bear arms. But that isn’t what the NRA cares about. Rather, it exists solely to increase the profits of gun manufactures. As former Ambassador Dan Simpson wrote for The Pittsburgh Post-Gazette, what the NRA “wants is not to preserve Americans’ Second Amendment rights. What it wants is to increase sales of guns.” Americans are increasingly put at risk by cowardly politicians too afraid to stand up against the gun industry. And now, the worlds most destitute people living in a nightmare of violence will continue to suffer because of the gun lobby’s influence on foreign policy."




.
[Edited 10/3/17 22:26pm]
"It means finding the very human narrative of a man navigating between idealism and pragmatism, faith and politics, non-violence, the pitfalls of acclaim as the perils of rejection" – Lesley Hazleton on the first muslim, the prophet.
  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #1 posted 10/04/17 4:08am

OnlyNDaUsa

avatar

So you think the answer is more control and more dependency on the government? I thought it was the corrupt racist government that was oppressing people?

"I was raped by the Arkansas AG who then becomes Governor & President..." Juanita Broaddrick
  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #2 posted 10/04/17 4:19am

hausofmoi7

avatar

OnlyNDaUsa said:

So you think the answer is more control and more dependency on the government? I thought it was the corrupt racist government that was oppressing people?


Corrupted politicians utilizing racism in society to achieve their goals (such as foreign policy)
Are they racist or does the term racist become redundant when dealing with sociopathy?
Either way, not the point. Stay on topic.
I.E weapons manufacturers and policy.


.
[Edited 10/4/17 5:13am]
"It means finding the very human narrative of a man navigating between idealism and pragmatism, faith and politics, non-violence, the pitfalls of acclaim as the perils of rejection" – Lesley Hazleton on the first muslim, the prophet.
  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #3 posted 10/04/17 5:55am

OnlyNDaUsa

avatar

The NRA is correct this idea is, of course, a means to create strict new limits and regulations on gun ownership. The real mongers are the ones that support this idea. As I said this is also about giving more power to government and makes people more dependant on government. And is a means to remove power from the US to regulate its own laws.

See there is no way to make sure a gun is not going to end up in the hands of a criminal. NONE. It would mean that each gun would have to somehow be pre-verified. That is, in essence, a jim crow* like regulation that would price guns out of reach.


*By jim crow I mean laws meant to circumvent rights by adding difficult to meet standards. And I use that term because this IS a Civil Rights issue.

"I was raped by the Arkansas AG who then becomes Governor & President..." Juanita Broaddrick
  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #4 posted 10/04/17 6:27am

13cjk13

OnlyNDaUsa said:

The NRA is correct this idea is, of course, a means to create strict new limits and regulations on gun ownership. The real mongers are the ones that support this idea. As I said this is also about giving more power to government and makes people more dependant on government. And is a means to remove power from the US to regulate its own laws.

See there is no way to make sure a gun is not going to end up in the hands of a criminal. NONE. It would mean that each gun would have to somehow be pre-verified. That is, in essence, a jim crow* like regulation that would price guns out of reach.


*By jim crow I mean laws meant to circumvent rights by adding difficult to meet standards. And I use that term because this IS a Civil Rights issue.

Blah, blah, blah.

Matthew 5:38-39
“You have heard that it was said, ‘An eye for an eye and a tooth for a tooth.’ But I say to you, Do not resist the one who is evil. But if anyone slaps you on the right cheek, turn to him the other also.
  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #5 posted 10/04/17 7:38am

OnlyNDaUsa

avatar

13cjk13 said:

Blah, blah, blah.

do you have anything to contribute?

"I was raped by the Arkansas AG who then becomes Governor & President..." Juanita Broaddrick
  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #6 posted 10/04/17 7:07pm

UncleJam

avatar

When out "great forefathers" decided that we have the right to bear arms, I am quite sure they werent thinking about uzis and AK-47s, there were no guns in those days that had the ability to clear an entire fucking block in 30 seconds. Why is it inconceivable that we revisit the gun laws, especially considering the nonsense that we are dealing with in this country? I'm not saying to ban guns, but you cannot convince me that anyone in this society needs an AK-47, or any semoi-automatic rifle. It's ludicrous, and it shouldnt be this complicated. disbelief

Make it so, Number One...
  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #7 posted 10/05/17 1:19pm

Dasein

UncleJam said:

When out "great forefathers" decided that we have the right to bear arms, I am quite sure they werent thinking about uzis and AK-47s, there were no guns in those days that had the ability to clear an entire fucking block in 30 seconds. Why is it inconceivable that we revisit the gun laws, especially considering the nonsense that we are dealing with in this country? I'm not saying to ban guns, but you cannot convince me that anyone in this society needs an AK-47, or any semoi-automatic rifle. It's ludicrous, and it shouldnt be this complicated. disbelief


Agreed.

The "great forefathers" did not have in mind one individual being able to shoot 600 people in a
single setting when they set about wanting to protect the ability of militias to arm themselves.
And the argument that we need guns to protect ourselves from a government turned bad is silly
as well as there is nothing that'll protect our household from a tank, a nuclear submarine, or a
stealth bomber.

  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #8 posted 10/05/17 1:24pm

13cjk13

OnlyNDaUsa said:

13cjk13 said:

Blah, blah, blah.

do you have anything to contribute?

Sorry, teacher, I do not.

Matthew 5:38-39
“You have heard that it was said, ‘An eye for an eye and a tooth for a tooth.’ But I say to you, Do not resist the one who is evil. But if anyone slaps you on the right cheek, turn to him the other also.
  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #9 posted 10/05/17 1:56pm

MoBettaBliss

UncleJam said:

When out "great forefathers" decided that we have the right to bear arms, I am quite sure they werent thinking about uzis and AK-47s, there were no guns in those days that had the ability to clear an entire fucking block in 30 seconds. Why is it inconceivable that we revisit the gun laws, especially considering the nonsense that we are dealing with in this country? I'm not saying to ban guns, but you cannot convince me that anyone in this society needs an AK-47, or any semoi-automatic rifle. It's ludicrous, and it shouldnt be this complicated. disbelief



yep

  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #10 posted 10/05/17 3:17pm

morningsong

avatar

I wonder is there a way to prop up, the pursuit of happiness, as a more dominiant role in basic rights.

I meant, life liberty and the pursuit of happiness, as the most fundamental most basic rights of all.

[Edited 10/5/17 15:23pm]

“Do I dare Disturb the universe?”
― T.S. Eliot

“Only by acceptance of the past, can you alter it”
― T.S. Eliot
  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
  New topic   Printable     (Log in to 'subscribe' to this topic)
« Previous topic  Next topic »
Forums > Politics & Religion > NRA and The Military Industrial Complex.