independent and unofficial
Prince fan community site
Wed 20th Sep 2017 11:56pm
Welcome! Sign up or enter username and password to remember me
Forum jump
Forums > Politics & Religion > Protest Poll
« Previous topic  Next topic »
Page 1 of 2 12>
Reply   New topic   Printable     (Log in to 'subscribe' to this topic)
Author

Tweet     Share

Message
Thread started 08/16/17 7:28am

djThunderfunk

avatar

Protest Poll

I'm curious how many here have ever actually participated in political activism and attended a protest, and if so, for what.

I have.

We were HERE, where were you?

4 those that knew the number and didn't call... fk all y'all!
 Reply w/quote - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #1 posted 08/16/17 7:42am

hausofmoi7

avatar

Hands off Syria protest. It was an Anti military protest.


.
[Edited 8/16/17 7:45am]
"It means finding the very human narrative of a man navigating between idealism and pragmatism, faith and politics, non-violence, the pitfalls of acclaim as the perils of rejection" – Lesley Hazleton on the first muslim, the prophet.
 Reply w/quote - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #2 posted 08/16/17 8:56am

2freaky4church
1

avatar

strangely i never had.

"2freaky is a complete stud." DJ
"2freaky is very down." 2Elijah.
 Reply w/quote - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #3 posted 08/16/17 8:57am

SuperFurryAnim
al

avatar

Many years ago

JESUS WILL HELP YOU
 Reply w/quote - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #4 posted 08/16/17 9:10am

2freaky4church
1

avatar

You protested lack of booze?

"2freaky is a complete stud." DJ
"2freaky is very down." 2Elijah.
 Reply w/quote - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #5 posted 08/16/17 9:17am

djThunderfunk

avatar

2freaky4church1 said:

strangely i never had.


For all your talk, it is strange. I know there has been plenty in Cinci for you to get involved in.

Are you afraid? Lazy? Too busy? All talk & no action?

What's up? biggrin

We were HERE, where were you?

4 those that knew the number and didn't call... fk all y'all!
 Reply w/quote - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #6 posted 08/16/17 9:18am

2freaky4church
1

avatar

Never thought marches work. We need mass strikes.

"2freaky is a complete stud." DJ
"2freaky is very down." 2Elijah.
 Reply w/quote - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #7 posted 08/16/17 9:22am

djThunderfunk

avatar

2freaky4church1 said:

Never thought marches work. We need mass strikes.


They used to work, before my time, which is what initially inspired me to get out. I've attended many.

The last protest I attended (against bush) was about 12 years ago. I kind of came to the conclusion at that point that I was wasting my time. Communication brings about change and I felt very little communicating was being done.

I was also a bit paranoid as agents didn't even hide the fact that they were using surveilance to identify everyone present.

[Edited 8/16/17 9:29am]

We were HERE, where were you?

4 those that knew the number and didn't call... fk all y'all!
 Reply w/quote - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #8 posted 08/16/17 10:03am

SuperFurryAnim
al

avatar

2freaky4church1 said:

You protested lack of booze?

GWB/War

JESUS WILL HELP YOU
 Reply w/quote - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #9 posted 08/16/17 10:03am

djThunderfunk

avatar

hmmm The way people TALK in this forum, I expected quite a bit more ACTIVISM.

[Edited 8/16/17 10:04am]

We were HERE, where were you?

4 those that knew the number and didn't call... fk all y'all!
 Reply w/quote - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #10 posted 08/16/17 10:09am

SuperFurryAnim
al

avatar

djThunderfunk said:

hmmm The way people TALK in this forum, I expected quite a bit more ACTIVISM.

[Edited 8/16/17 10:04am]

DJ. I was heavy into ACTIVISM online a few years ago on 20 different forums. GMO Food, Water the essentials of life but I had some issues that needed taking care of and no longer have time.

JESUS WILL HELP YOU
 Reply w/quote - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #11 posted 08/16/17 10:21am

benni

I never have, but I never lived in an area where there were protests, and I could never afford to travel where there protests. Now, I am in an area in which I think protests could (and should) happen, but they never have them here.

I did have a great-aunt that participated in the Million Man March. She would have been in her early 70s. She was an interesting character. I always called her the "Rainbow Lady" (she always wore a rainbow pin - I never knew what that meant until I was much older). She'd never married, never had kids, but was very much an activist. I went to see her back in the late 70s in Philadelphia, she was going to college (had 4 degrees), and shared a house with a black man, a white lady, an Indian woman and her son (from India and spoke very little English), a white man, and two black ladies (they were sisters and shared a room). It was an interesting experience for a young white girl who grew up in a non-diverse area. Then I ran into her when I was living in a group home in Missouri, when I was 16/17 years old. I didn't know she'd lived back in Missouri, but when she found out where I was living, she started showing up and talking to us girls about birth control and Planned Parenthood. (That was embarrassing.) But I think I take after her more than I do any one else in my family and I would have probably been right beside her at that march if I could have been.

 Reply w/quote - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #12 posted 08/16/17 10:24am

djThunderfunk

avatar

SuperFurryAnimal said:

djThunderfunk said:

hmmm The way people TALK in this forum, I expected quite a bit more ACTIVISM.

[Edited 8/16/17 10:04am]

DJ. I was heavy into ACTIVISM online a few years ago on 20 different forums. GMO Food, Water the essentials of life but I had some issues that needed taking care of and no longer have time.


You protested bush and war (been there on both counts)... Respect! highfive

We were HERE, where were you?

4 those that knew the number and didn't call... fk all y'all!
 Reply w/quote - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #13 posted 08/16/17 10:29am

jimmy3121

If there ever is a protest for Fake News & on Major Mainstream Media outlets I'm all in.

The nitwit that drove the car into folks Saturday I'm in to beat & finish him out in the street.

Of course that will never happen as The Rainbow Lovers will cry about human rights so that bum gets 3 hots & a cot per day plus TV in his cell & no bills to pay.

 Reply w/quote - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #14 posted 08/16/17 10:31am

SuperFurryAnim
al

avatar

djThunderfunk said:

You protested bush and war (been there on both counts)... Respect! highfive

Thanks and Yes. Though I can look back historically and understand and forgive. I could also for-see that ousting Saddam was not the best idea because of the radicals. I think fighting leadership is a waste of time. I started to believe picking something smaller and seeing it through was more smart.

Another thing that people could consider is we can do a lot more helping others as opposed to complaining all the time. All I see from many activists in this age are complainers.

JESUS WILL HELP YOU
 Reply w/quote - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #15 posted 08/16/17 10:38am

djThunderfunk

avatar

hausofmoi7 said:

Hands off Syria protest. It was an Anti military protest. . [Edited 8/16/17 7:45am]


Very cool. cool

We were HERE, where were you?

4 those that knew the number and didn't call... fk all y'all!
 Reply w/quote - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #16 posted 08/16/17 10:40am

djThunderfunk

avatar

jimmy3121 said:

The nitwit that drove the car into folks Saturday I'm in to beat & finish him out in the street.


That wouldn't be a protest, that would be a lynch mob. disbelief

We were HERE, where were you?

4 those that knew the number and didn't call... fk all y'all!
 Reply w/quote - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #17 posted 08/16/17 10:41am

djThunderfunk

avatar

benni said:

I never have, but I never lived in an area where there were protests, and I could never afford to travel where there protests. Now, I am in an area in which I think protests could (and should) happen, but they never have them here.

I did have a great-aunt that participated in the Million Man March. She would have been in her early 70s. She was an interesting character. I always called her the "Rainbow Lady" (she always wore a rainbow pin - I never knew what that meant until I was much older). She'd never married, never had kids, but was very much an activist. I went to see her back in the late 70s in Philadelphia, she was going to college (had 4 degrees), and shared a house with a black man, a white lady, an Indian woman and her son (from India and spoke very little English), a white man, and two black ladies (they were sisters and shared a room). It was an interesting experience for a young white girl who grew up in a non-diverse area. Then I ran into her when I was living in a group home in Missouri, when I was 16/17 years old. I didn't know she'd lived back in Missouri, but when she found out where I was living, she started showing up and talking to us girls about birth control and Planned Parenthood. (That was embarrassing.) But I think I take after her more than I do any one else in my family and I would have probably been right beside her at that march if I could have been.


You'd be surprised. There's activisim everywhere. Usually it's something small that gets little attention, but, those are the ones that are most productive. Look up activism in your area, I bet there's something you can get behind.


We were HERE, where were you?

4 those that knew the number and didn't call... fk all y'all!
 Reply w/quote - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #18 posted 08/16/17 10:44am

benni

djThunderfunk said:

benni said:

I never have, but I never lived in an area where there were protests, and I could never afford to travel where there protests. Now, I am in an area in which I think protests could (and should) happen, but they never have them here.

I did have a great-aunt that participated in the Million Man March. She would have been in her early 70s. She was an interesting character. I always called her the "Rainbow Lady" (she always wore a rainbow pin - I never knew what that meant until I was much older). She'd never married, never had kids, but was very much an activist. I went to see her back in the late 70s in Philadelphia, she was going to college (had 4 degrees), and shared a house with a black man, a white lady, an Indian woman and her son (from India and spoke very little English), a white man, and two black ladies (they were sisters and shared a room). It was an interesting experience for a young white girl who grew up in a non-diverse area. Then I ran into her when I was living in a group home in Missouri, when I was 16/17 years old. I didn't know she'd lived back in Missouri, but when she found out where I was living, she started showing up and talking to us girls about birth control and Planned Parenthood. (That was embarrassing.) But I think I take after her more than I do any one else in my family and I would have probably been right beside her at that march if I could have been.


You'd be surprised. There's activisim everywhere. Usually it's something small that gets little attention, but, those are the ones that are most productive. Look up activism in your area, I bet there's something you can get behind.



I will. And it could be that I just don't hear about it. Unfortunately, I work two jobs, so I'm able to stay on top of everything. But, I know where I lived in the past, they would not have had any kind of protests or marches. It really was a non-diverse area, farmers and wide open fields. There was one black boy in my son's school, and he left after a year. It is becoming more diverse now, but still very small population.

 Reply w/quote - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #19 posted 08/16/17 10:47am

SuperFurryAnim
al

avatar

benni said:

I will. And it could be that I just don't hear about it. Unfortunately, I work two jobs, so I'm able to stay on top of everything. But, I know where I lived in the past, they would not have had any kind of protests or marches. It really was a non-diverse area, farmers and wide open fields. There was one black boy in my son's school, and he left after a year. It is becoming more diverse now, but still very small population.

Remember you can always help people and also you can take up a cause like GMO or clean water and fight for it on social media or through forums but forums are more dinosaur. I think the protesting in groups is dangerous or could be.

JESUS WILL HELP YOU
 Reply w/quote - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #20 posted 08/16/17 10:59am

djThunderfunk

avatar

SuperFurryAnimal said:

benni said:

I will. And it could be that I just don't hear about it. Unfortunately, I work two jobs, so I'm able to stay on top of everything. But, I know where I lived in the past, they would not have had any kind of protests or marches. It really was a non-diverse area, farmers and wide open fields. There was one black boy in my son's school, and he left after a year. It is becoming more diverse now, but still very small population.

Remember you can always help people and also you can take up a cause like GMO or clean water and fight for it on social media or through forums but forums are more dinosaur. I think the protesting in groups is dangerous or could be.


I agree with what SuperFurry says here and will add, if you're working two jobs, you're doing your part by taking care of business.

We were HERE, where were you?

4 those that knew the number and didn't call... fk all y'all!
 Reply w/quote - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #21 posted 08/16/17 11:01am

mjscarousal

avatar

Yes, mainly involving around police brutality, gun violence, and racism. I participated in the Womans March which was the biggest one I have been apart of and many other protests groups (people all over the world) were involved. IMO, I find protesting to be empowering, of course it can't just stop there and others things need to be done but its good to let your voice be heard and to stand up for a cause. You also meet a lot of interesting people and you get to collaborate with other social activist organizations. Our ancesters did the same and they actually risked their lives to stand up for equality and many of the issues we face today. The only thing that I find problematic about these protests are the way the police handle them and of course you have some trouble makers but as we can see given the recent protests in Charlottsville VA, the police are more aggressive overall toward Black protesters than White protesters. Thankfully, I have never been arrested or hurt in any of the protests that I have participated in but I know many that have and it can get dangerous.

Stand, you`ve been sitting much too long, there`s a permanent crease in your right or wrong.~Sly Stone
 Reply w/quote - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #22 posted 08/16/17 11:33am

benni

SuperFurryAnimal said:

benni said:

I will. And it could be that I just don't hear about it. Unfortunately, I work two jobs, so I'm able to stay on top of everything. But, I know where I lived in the past, they would not have had any kind of protests or marches. It really was a non-diverse area, farmers and wide open fields. There was one black boy in my son's school, and he left after a year. It is becoming more diverse now, but still very small population.

Remember you can always help people and also you can take up a cause like GMO or clean water and fight for it on social media or through forums but forums are more dinosaur. I think the protesting in groups is dangerous or could be.


I do help people as much as I can and am teaching my children to do the same thing. Haven't tried activism through social media, but I do post about the disjustices I see or that are reported, and take a lot of heat from my family on that. Sometimes, though, I think that the only way we are ever going to see change is by putting ourself in danger to stand up for what is right.

 Reply w/quote - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #23 posted 08/16/17 1:24pm

DiminutiveRock
er

avatar

Yep - protested unfair tuition hikes in college; protested against Iraq war, rallies for AIDS awareness, Occupy (insert city) rallies - recently women's march and show you taxes day march and science/earth day march

"When you have people who don't know about science standing in denial of it and rising to power - that is a recipe for the complete dismantling of our informed democracy" - Neil de Grasse Tyson
 Reply w/quote - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #24 posted 08/16/17 1:38pm

IanRG

Political activism - Yes

.

Protest marches - No.

.

Greatest personal success - After having sat in the office of the Minister for Immigration, the company exploiting Somalian refugees in my area was removed from their contract.

 Reply w/quote - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #25 posted 08/16/17 1:40pm

13cjk13

avatar

jimmy3121 said:

If there ever is a protest for Fake News & on Major Mainstream Media outlets I'm all in.

The nitwit that drove the car into folks Saturday I'm in to beat & finish him out in the street.

Of course that will never happen as The Rainbow Lovers will cry about human rights so that bum gets 3 hots & a cot per day plus TV in his cell & no bills to pay.

Wow Jimmy, you're unhinged.

Matthew 5:38-39
“You have heard that it was said, ‘An eye for an eye and a tooth for a tooth.’ But I say to you, Do not resist the one who is evil. But if anyone slaps you on the right cheek, turn to him the other also.
 Reply w/quote - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #26 posted 08/16/17 2:25pm

djThunderfunk

avatar

I started with little things, like when I was in high school I joined a protest outside a record store against the PMRC, in college I helped a friend spread information to "Free Mumia". I marched with the late Jack Herer, Emperor Of Hemp, in Nashville, to legalize marijuana (waaaay back in 1990). I protested the first Iraq war. Many times, I marched with, gathered signatures for and campaignd for the late perennial Kentucky gubenatorial candiate Gatewood Galbraith who repeatedly ran on a marijuana/hemp legalization platform throughout the 90s & 00s. I participated in several marches for Earth Day and other environmental agendas. I protested bush jr., the 2nd Iraq war & the patriot act. I protested a few times against the drug war, once to "Free Tommy Chong. There are others I'm forgetting, I'm sure.

But, the one that might surprise a few here, at least the ones who don't take me at my word or mischaracterize my positions, I have actually protested the klan. It turned out to be more like "heckled" than protested, but all the same. Sometime back 25-30 years ago, some friends and I found out that the kkk was marching in a small nearby town. We thought it would be fun to go protest/harrass them. IIRC, only 13 of the assholes showed up to march, in full ghost costume idiocy (they looked so uncomfortably hot). Around 50-60 came out to protest their march, mostly white, some black, 1/2 & 1/2 liberal & conservative. Yes, conservative, there were some very working class rednecks that showed up to tell the klan to fuck off, it was beautiful. Even with their (single) bullhorn the crowd was louder than they were. They didn't mind being called racists, nazis, etc... but we discovered they HATED being called "faggots", so we went deep on that one. This is back when that word was, although derogatory, still socially acceptable and we weren't saying it to demean anybody in the LGBT group (was that even a thing yet?), we were using it to piss off and insult nazi scum, so, alls fair right?

I think it went something like "We understand that when you went to prison you were afraid of having a big black censored up your censored and decided it would be better to have a little white censored in your censored , so you joined up with these guys, but, you're out now, you don't have to hang out with these assholes any more. You can have those nazi tattoos removed, stop sucking each other's censored and join the rest of us in the 20th century at any time. Unless you like sucking censored , in which case maybe it's time to try a big juicy black one down your throat. You might like it." Etc, etc, etc...

I'm kind of surprised it didn't get violent, they were pissed! We were laughing our asses off, thinking we were so funny. We were rude & crude, but, I still think it was funny. I realize there were more than 13 of these fukkers in Charlottesville, it was a different situation, but, this worked for us.

In all the times I protested or marched or whatever, never did anyone wear a mask, get violent, destroy property, start a fire. The only time things even got verbally nasty was with the kkk.

As mentioned before, by the time I was protesting bush & the patriot act & Iraq War 2, it just seemed to be so ineffective. By this time the protests were being more controlled, limited to "free speech areas", etc and amounted to mainly a bunch of us preaching to the choir (each other) and no message getting out. That, and the feds surveilance around this time time was really creeping me out.

Now I pretty much just do like SuperFurry, online petitions, that kind of thing. It's been said that my town, Lexington, may become one of the next flashpoints because our mayor is attempting to have 2 confederate statues moved from the courthouse and a nearby park to a veterans park (not REmoved, just moved). If so, I'll probably go out with a camera, join neither group, and just talk to people and try to document. We shall see...






[Edited 8/16/17 14:29pm]

We were HERE, where were you?

4 those that knew the number and didn't call... fk all y'all!
 Reply w/quote - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #27 posted 08/16/17 2:26pm

2freaky4church
1

avatar

I was at a few protests, didn't march.

"2freaky is a complete stud." DJ
"2freaky is very down." 2Elijah.
 Reply w/quote - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #28 posted 08/16/17 3:38pm

2elijah

avatar

2freaky4church1 said:

I was at a few protests, didn't march.


Yes a number of protests, including when Amadou Diallo was killed by 4 cops.
'Trump voters got Hoodwinked by Trump' popcorn coke
 Reply w/quote - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #29 posted 08/16/17 3:40pm

DiminutiveRock
er

avatar

IanRG said:

Political activism - Yes

.

Protest marches - No.

.

Greatest personal success - After having sat in the office of the Minister for Immigration, the company exploiting Somalian refugees in my area was removed from their contract.


Nice.

"When you have people who don't know about science standing in denial of it and rising to power - that is a recipe for the complete dismantling of our informed democracy" - Neil de Grasse Tyson
 Reply w/quote - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Page 1 of 2 12>
Reply   New topic   Printable     (Log in to 'subscribe' to this topic)
« Previous topic  Next topic »
Forums > Politics & Religion > Protest Poll