independent and unofficial
Prince fan community site
Tue 17th Oct 2017 8:51pm
Welcome! Sign up or enter username and password to remember me
Forum jump
Forums > Politics & Religion > Has anyone here had their mind changed?
« Previous topic  Next topic »
Page 4 of 7 <1234567>
  New topic   Printable     (Log in to 'subscribe' to this topic)
Reply #90 posted 08/12/17 2:33pm

jjhunsecker

avatar

Fenwick said:

jjhunsecker said:

Rhino sent me last year a box set of The Monkees' TV show on blu-ray. Plus every album (some in multi-disk sets)...Too much stuff, my friend, and too little time ...

Wow. You know - I gotta give them credit.

You'd think a promotion like that would have a shelf life. That's tremendous that they keep giving you stuff in those kind of volumes....


Yeah, the prizes are for my lifetime, or the lifetime of the company (I guess whichever ends first lol). They don't release nearly as much as they used to, say, 10 years ago, but it's still a decent haul .

For example, here's a link to recent and upcoming releases :

http://media.rhino.com/re...hedule-all

  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #91 posted 08/12/17 3:19pm

poppys

jjhunsecker said:

Fenwick said:

Wow. You know - I gotta give them credit.

You'd think a promotion like that would have a shelf life. That's tremendous that they keep giving you stuff in those kind of volumes....


Yeah, the prizes are for my lifetime, or the lifetime of the company (I guess whichever ends first lol). They don't release nearly as much as they used to, say, 10 years ago, but it's still a decent haul .

For example, here's a link to recent and upcoming releases :

http://media.rhino.com/re...hedule-all

Lots of good stuff there. music

Kick the old-school joints. For the true funk soldiers.
  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #92 posted 08/12/17 3:38pm

Fenwick

jjhunsecker said:

Fenwick said:

Wow. You know - I gotta give them credit.

You'd think a promotion like that would have a shelf life. That's tremendous that they keep giving you stuff in those kind of volumes....


Yeah, the prizes are for my lifetime, or the lifetime of the company (I guess whichever ends first lol). They don't release nearly as much as they used to, say, 10 years ago, but it's still a decent haul .

For example, here's a link to recent and upcoming releases :

http://media.rhino.com/re...hedule-all

Wait! So you're getting all those Bowie box sets for free?

I don't think I like you anymore!!!! biggrin

  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #93 posted 08/12/17 3:40pm

jjhunsecker

avatar

Fenwick said:

jjhunsecker said:

Yeah, the prizes are for my lifetime, or the lifetime of the company (I guess whichever ends first lol). They don't release nearly as much as they used to, say, 10 years ago, but it's still a decent haul .

For example, here's a link to recent and upcoming releases :

http://media.rhino.com/re...hedule-all

Wait! So you're getting all those Bowie box sets for free?

I don't think I like you anymore!!!! biggrin

Yep, my favorite price...FREE lol

And the funny (or sad) thing is , I still BUY a lot of CDs too

  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #94 posted 08/12/17 3:48pm

Fenwick

jjhunsecker said:

OnlyNDaUsa said:

I was being a little over the top... but the point is Republicans do not and did not like Obama because he was not a republican. Many make up LIES that it was his race... no not for the vast majority of them... but some have to have something to point to... for Obama (and Hillary) it is so easy to go for the simplest one!

Are you going to deny that at least SOME of the intense hatred of Obama was racially based ? Are you prepared to say that race was NEVER a factor with ANYONE opposed to him ?

I understand your point Only. I got that you were being over the top. My point was just that both sides will always find reasons to support their candidate and ridicule/discredit the other. They're too dig in. Like the point of this thread. Some of the most vocal people in this forum probably aren't playing in this sandbox because it's not what they are here for.


They'd rather create thread number 627 on why Trump is an idiot. (And I'm not necessarily faulting anyone for doing so). Just for me, it seems counter-productive unless it's to truly engage in a healthy back and forth.


Regarding the racial side of this, the birth certificate bullcrap alone should be enough to tell any level headed person race was definitely an issue for the anti-Obama brigade. It would be one thing if it was espoused by three fringe alt-right members who were quickly discredited by the Republican party..... Utter nonsense.


  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #95 posted 08/12/17 3:51pm

Fenwick

jjhunsecker said:

Fenwick said:

Wait! So you're getting all those Bowie box sets for free?

I don't think I like you anymore!!!! biggrin

Yep, my favorite price...FREE lol

And the funny (or sad) thing is , I still BUY a lot of CDs too


Nice! Do you have a go to genre? Band?

I'll be honest. I have trouble leaving the 60's 70's 80's. (Not necessarily a good thing). But I find most of today's music to be recycled garbage. There's just so much I haven't fully explored from the genres I gravitate towards.

  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #96 posted 08/12/17 4:04pm

Horsefeathers

avatar

jjhunsecker said:



OnlyNDaUsa said:




Fenwick said:





This is part of the circle of madness on here. Everyone spouting so much venom and hatred for the opposition, but the people they are busy "supporting" are just as lacking in the moral compass department.





I was being a little over the top... but the point is Republicans do not and did not like Obama because he was not a republican. Many make up LIES that it was his race... no not for the vast majority of them... but some have to have something to point to... for Obama (and Hillary) it is so easy to go for the simplest one!



Are you going to deny that at least SOME of the intense hatred of Obama was racially based ? Are you prepared to say that race was NEVER a factor with ANYONE opposed to him ?



You know how a fish is completely immersed in water and yet unable to see it? It's like that.
Murica: at least it's not Sudan.
  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #97 posted 08/12/17 4:16pm

poppys

Fenwick said:

jjhunsecker said:

Yep, my favorite price...FREE lol

And the funny (or sad) thing is , I still BUY a lot of CDs too


Nice! Do you have a go to genre? Band?

I'll be honest. I have trouble leaving the 60's 70's 80's. (Not necessarily a good thing). But I find most of today's music to be recycled garbage. There's just so much I haven't fully explored from the genres I gravitate towards.

I was on a radio show called the Hound Show on college station WFMU out of East Orange NJ in the late 80s - early 90s. Guy was a record collector and a music encyclopedia. Almost never played anything beyond 1965. Entire sets of obscure stuff. Still has a cult following for the show tapes. He also wrote a great music column for High Times for many years - called Hound's Eye View.

Kick the old-school joints. For the true funk soldiers.
  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #98 posted 08/12/17 4:17pm

Fenwick

Horsefeathers said:

jjhunsecker said:

Are you going to deny that at least SOME of the intense hatred of Obama was racially based ? Are you prepared to say that race was NEVER a factor with ANYONE opposed to him ?

You know how a fish is completely immersed in water and yet unable to see it? It's like that.

LOL



Hey Horse! Would you not agree that knife cuts both ways though?

It seems like a comment a freshman would make after their first philosophy class. But it's weird how pervasive it is on both sides of the aisle. Given how contentious the body of politcians and their supporters are, it would seem painfully obvious the world is in need of more moderate voices to truly move the dial.

Yet no one is speaking with one.

  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #99 posted 08/12/17 4:20pm

jjhunsecker

avatar

poppys said:

Fenwick said:


Nice! Do you have a go to genre? Band?

I'll be honest. I have trouble leaving the 60's 70's 80's. (Not necessarily a good thing). But I find most of today's music to be recycled garbage. There's just so much I haven't fully explored from the genres I gravitate towards.

I was on a radio show called the Hound Show on college station WFMU out of East Orange NJ in the late 80s - early 90s. Guy was a record collector and a music encyclopedia. Almost never played anything beyond 1965. Entire sets of obscure stuff. Still has a cult following for the show tapes. He also wrote a great music column for High Times for many years - called Hound's Eye View.

I remember listening to WFMU years back. IIRC- they also had a Prince show that played a lot of rareities that used to air every now and then

  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #100 posted 08/12/17 4:24pm

Fenwick

poppys said:

Fenwick said:


Nice! Do you have a go to genre? Band?

I'll be honest. I have trouble leaving the 60's 70's 80's. (Not necessarily a good thing). But I find most of today's music to be recycled garbage. There's just so much I haven't fully explored from the genres I gravitate towards.

I was on a radio show called the Hound Show on college station WFMU out of East Orange NJ in the late 80s - early 90s. Guy was a record collector and a music encyclopedia. Almost never played anything beyond 1965. Entire sets of obscure stuff. Still has a cult following for the show tapes. He also wrote a great music column for High Times for many years - called Hound's Eye View.

Wow. That sounds very cool. Any particular genre of music?


Coming off the heels of the Blues, Elvis, Chuck Berry, British Invasion, Motown... There's just so much good music.

I was in Heaven up until a few years ago. There was a music label dedicated to legacy Motown releases (Physical CDs). They were called Hippo Select and they were magnificent. Because, I guess no one buys "old music on CDs" anymore, they folded up the tent a few years back.


And they still weren't done completing my Smokey Robinson solo/Miracles collections.... Grrrrr

  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #101 posted 08/12/17 4:26pm

jjhunsecker

avatar

Fenwick said:

jjhunsecker said:

Yep, my favorite price...FREE lol

And the funny (or sad) thing is , I still BUY a lot of CDs too


Nice! Do you have a go to genre? Band?

I'll be honest. I have trouble leaving the 60's 70's 80's. (Not necessarily a good thing). But I find most of today's music to be recycled garbage. There's just so much I haven't fully explored from the genres I gravitate towards.

My main genres are probably classic rock, R&B from the 1950s-80s, and Blues. But I love so much stuff- I will go from playing Ella Fitzgerald to Metallica to Glen Campbell (RIP) to Public Enemy in the space of a few hours ...In many ways, I'm still stuck in the 1970s , when I really got into music in my teens. Led Zep may still be my favorite band headbang...

Now with a teenager at home, I hear some modern stuff that I like- my son has showed me that Lady Gaga and Taylor Swift and Frank Ocean make pretty good music that even I can get into . I especially like Bruno Mars and The Weeknd...

  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #102 posted 08/12/17 4:29pm

jjhunsecker

avatar

Fenwick said:

poppys said:

I was on a radio show called the Hound Show on college station WFMU out of East Orange NJ in the late 80s - early 90s. Guy was a record collector and a music encyclopedia. Almost never played anything beyond 1965. Entire sets of obscure stuff. Still has a cult following for the show tapes. He also wrote a great music column for High Times for many years - called Hound's Eye View.

Wow. That sounds very cool. Any particular genre of music?


Coming off the heels of the Blues, Elvis, Chuck Berry, British Invasion, Motown... There's just so much good music.

I was in Heaven up until a few years ago. There was a music label dedicated to legacy Motown releases (Physical CDs). They were called Hippo Select and they were magnificent. Because, I guess no one buys "old music on CDs" anymore, they folded up the tent a few years back.


And they still weren't done completing my Smokey Robinson solo/Miracles collections.... Grrrrr

Hip-O had some GREAT James Brown releases, especially the ones covering every single he released. OUTTA SIGHT ! Good God Y'All !!!

I actually met the guy who put a lot of those Hip-O Motown and JB comps together at a music event a few years back, his name was Harry Weinger .

  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #103 posted 08/12/17 4:40pm

poppys

Fenwick said:

poppys said:

I was on a radio show called the Hound Show on college station WFMU out of East Orange NJ in the late 80s - early 90s. Guy was a record collector and a music encyclopedia. Almost never played anything beyond 1965. Entire sets of obscure stuff. Still has a cult following for the show tapes. He also wrote a great music column for High Times for many years - called Hound's Eye View.

Wow. That sounds very cool. Any particular genre of music?


Coming off the heels of the Blues, Elvis, Chuck Berry, British Invasion, Motown... There's just so much good music.

I was in Heaven up until a few years ago. There was a music label dedicated to legacy Motown releases (Physical CDs). They were called Hippo Select and they were magnificent. Because, I guess no one buys "old music on CDs" anymore, they folded up the tent a few years back.


And they still weren't done completing my Smokey Robinson solo/Miracles collections.... Grrrrr

Hound was a true scholar of music who looked like a Ramone (that's a compliment). The show was 3 hours so he would do sets of different genres. For instance, country music from the 1930s without splitting the artists into "black" and "white". Lots of obscure artists from Louisiana. Now that I live here I hear them sometimes and it clicks all over again. Whole sets of Duke Ellington, Esquerita, Doug Sahm, Graham Parsons, Slim Harpo, Hank Ballard, all the NY doo-wop groups of all colors. Every set was a history lesson you were blown away by.


[Edited 8/12/17 16:44pm]

Kick the old-school joints. For the true funk soldiers.
  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #104 posted 08/12/17 4:45pm

Fenwick

jjhunsecker said:

Fenwick said:

Wow. That sounds very cool. Any particular genre of music?


Coming off the heels of the Blues, Elvis, Chuck Berry, British Invasion, Motown... There's just so much good music.

I was in Heaven up until a few years ago. There was a music label dedicated to legacy Motown releases (Physical CDs). They were called Hippo Select and they were magnificent. Because, I guess no one buys "old music on CDs" anymore, they folded up the tent a few years back.


And they still weren't done completing my Smokey Robinson solo/Miracles collections.... Grrrrr

Hip-O had some GREAT James Brown releases, especially the ones covering every single he released. OUTTA SIGHT ! Good God Y'All !!!

I actually met the guy who put a lot of those Hip-O Motown and JB comps together at a music event a few years back, his name was Harry Weinger .

Very cool. Harvey and Alan Leeds were both such integral parts of curating those legacy recordings. The liner notes on those JB releases were great.

  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #105 posted 08/12/17 4:46pm

Fenwick

poppys said:

Fenwick said:

Wow. That sounds very cool. Any particular genre of music?


Coming off the heels of the Blues, Elvis, Chuck Berry, British Invasion, Motown... There's just so much good music.

I was in Heaven up until a few years ago. There was a music label dedicated to legacy Motown releases (Physical CDs). They were called Hippo Select and they were magnificent. Because, I guess no one buys "old music on CDs" anymore, they folded up the tent a few years back.


And they still weren't done completing my Smokey Robinson solo/Miracles collections.... Grrrrr

Hound was a true scholar of music who looked like a Ramone (that's a compliment). The show was 3 hours so he would do sets of different genres. For instance, country music from the 1930s without splitting the artists into "black" and "white". Lots of obscure artists from Louisiana. Now that I live here I hear them sometimes and it clicks all over again. Whole sets of Duke Ellington, Esquerita, Doug Sahm, Graham Parsons, Slim Harpo, Hank Ballard, all the NY doo-wop groups of all colors. Every set was a history lesson you were blown away by.


[Edited 8/12/17 16:44pm]

Speechless. Truly beautiful.

  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #106 posted 08/12/17 4:50pm

Fenwick

jjhunsecker said:

Fenwick said:


Nice! Do you have a go to genre? Band?

I'll be honest. I have trouble leaving the 60's 70's 80's. (Not necessarily a good thing). But I find most of today's music to be recycled garbage. There's just so much I haven't fully explored from the genres I gravitate towards.

My main genres are probably classic rock, R&B from the 1950s-80s, and Blues. But I love so much stuff- I will go from playing Ella Fitzgerald to Metallica to Glen Campbell (RIP) to Public Enemy in the space of a few hours ...In many ways, I'm still stuck in the 1970s , when I really got into music in my teens. Led Zep may still be my favorite band headbang...

Now with a teenager at home, I hear some modern stuff that I like- my son has showed me that Lady Gaga and Taylor Swift and Frank Ocean make pretty good music that even I can get into . I especially like Bruno Mars and The Weeknd...

I'm the same way diversiy wise. I think my 6 disc changer in my car righ now has Crowded House, WIllie Nelson, King Crimson, Smokey Robinson and two Curtis Mayfields. (Smokey, Curtis and Paul Simon are my 3 headed Mt Rushmore).

I love love love Zep. I do think their legacy is tainted by stealing all those tunes on their first few albums without giving proper credit. But they certainly grew to become a creative force of brilliant music. Their super deluxe box sets STILL haven't really come down in price yet. I've only got Zoso, Houses of the Holy and Physical Graffiti thus far. The bonus discs are weird. Half of the tunes are really insightful alternate takes/stages. But the other half are barely any different at all. Frustrating given how expensive they are.

  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #107 posted 08/12/17 4:56pm

poppys

Fenwick said:

poppys said:

Hound was a true scholar of music who looked like a Ramone (that's a compliment). The show was 3 hours so he would do sets of different genres. For instance, country music from the 1930s without splitting the artists into "black" and "white". Lots of obscure artists from Louisiana. Now that I live here I hear them sometimes and it clicks all over again. Whole sets of Duke Ellington, Esquerita, Doug Sahm, Graham Parsons, Slim Harpo, Hank Ballard, all the NY doo-wop groups of all colors. Every set was a history lesson you were blown away by.


[Edited 8/12/17 16:44pm]

Speechless. Truly beautiful.

Yeah. I was the chick side-kick for 4 years. News from the "sex & animal desk" was my beat. Revolving cast of smart ass characters. We were all his friends - didn't get paid except in cool rights. It was on Saturday afternoons - prime listening spot.


[Edited 8/12/17 16:57pm]

Kick the old-school joints. For the true funk soldiers.
  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #108 posted 08/12/17 5:03pm

DiminutiveRock
er

avatar

A music thread in P&R - I love it! biggrin

"When you have people who don't know about science standing in denial of it and rising to power - that is a recipe for the complete dismantling of our informed democracy" - Neil de Grasse Tyson
  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #109 posted 08/12/17 5:22pm

poppys

IKR? Fenwick puts out a good spread/thread these days. sun
Finding out JJ is Geekus Musicus Maximus is too much fun!


[Edited 8/12/17 17:23pm]

Kick the old-school joints. For the true funk soldiers.
  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #110 posted 08/12/17 5:32pm

poppys

jjhunsecker said:

poppys said:

I was on a radio show called the Hound Show on college station WFMU out of East Orange NJ in the late 80s - early 90s. Guy was a record collector and a music encyclopedia. Almost never played anything beyond 1965. Entire sets of obscure stuff. Still has a cult following for the show tapes. He also wrote a great music column for High Times for many years - called Hound's Eye View.

I remember listening to WFMU years back. IIRC- they also had a Prince show that played a lot of rareities that used to air every now and then

I don't remember that but not suprised. The DJ's there were music maniacs. And isn't there always a Prince connection? yes

Kick the old-school joints. For the true funk soldiers.
  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #111 posted 08/12/17 6:24pm

jjhunsecker

avatar

Fenwick said:

jjhunsecker said:

My main genres are probably classic rock, R&B from the 1950s-80s, and Blues. But I love so much stuff- I will go from playing Ella Fitzgerald to Metallica to Glen Campbell (RIP) to Public Enemy in the space of a few hours ...In many ways, I'm still stuck in the 1970s , when I really got into music in my teens. Led Zep may still be my favorite band headbang...

Now with a teenager at home, I hear some modern stuff that I like- my son has showed me that Lady Gaga and Taylor Swift and Frank Ocean make pretty good music that even I can get into . I especially like Bruno Mars and The Weeknd...

I'm the same way diversiy wise. I think my 6 disc changer in my car righ now has Crowded House, WIllie Nelson, King Crimson, Smokey Robinson and two Curtis Mayfields. (Smokey, Curtis and Paul Simon are my 3 headed Mt Rushmore).

I love love love Zep. I do think their legacy is tainted by stealing all those tunes on their first few albums without giving proper credit. But they certainly grew to become a creative force of brilliant music. Their super deluxe box sets STILL haven't really come down in price yet. I've only got Zoso, Houses of the Holy and Physical Graffiti thus far. The bonus discs are weird. Half of the tunes are really insightful alternate takes/stages. But the other half are barely any different at all. Frustrating given how expensive they are.

You have good taste. I love Paul Simon , one of my all time favorites. And Smokey and Curtis are in my pantheon as well.

About 6 years ago, my wife bought us tickets for the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame Anniversary concert held at Madison Square Garden in NYC. This was one of the greatest nights of my life. This was the lineup : Crosby Stills & Nash (with special guests James Taylor, Bonnie Raitt, and Jackson Browne), Paul Simon/Simon & Garfunkel (with special guests Dion and Little Anthony and the Imperials), Stevie Wonder (with special guests Smokey Robinson, BB King, John Legend, Sting and Jeff Beck), and Bruce Springsteen (with special guests John Fogerty, Sam Moore, Darlene Love, and Tom Morello).

I actually got the recent 2CD version Led Zep sets from Rhino. I'm a massive fan, but I thought most of the extra discs were snoozers, with a few exceptions.

  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #112 posted 08/12/17 6:26pm

jjhunsecker

avatar

DiminutiveRocker said:

A music thread in P&R - I love it! biggrin

Talking music is something I love to do. Plus it helps me relax my mind on such a fucked up day like today.

  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #113 posted 08/13/17 7:48am

Fenwick

jjhunsecker said:

DiminutiveRocker said:

A music thread in P&R - I love it! biggrin

Talking music is something I love to do. Plus it helps me relax my mind on such a fucked up day like today.



Indeed! Yesterday sucked. We'll never get rid of all the idiots in the world. But hopefully the additional negative exposure they receive will create some backlash.

I saw Janelle Monae requesting for names on Twitter from the pictures so she could "out" them. I think that's fabulous.

  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #114 posted 08/13/17 7:49am

Fenwick

poppys said:

Fenwick said:

Speechless. Truly beautiful.

Yeah. I was the chick side-kick for 4 years. News from the "sex & animal desk" was my beat. Revolving cast of smart ass characters. We were all his friends - didn't get paid except in cool rights. It was on Saturday afternoons - prime listening spot.


[Edited 8/12/17 16:57pm]

LOL. The sex and animal desk? Do I even want to know where that name came from??? biggrin


That does sound like so much fun. WHat great memories you must have from it.

  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #115 posted 08/13/17 7:56am

Fenwick

jjhunsecker said:

Fenwick said:

I'm the same way diversiy wise. I think my 6 disc changer in my car righ now has Crowded House, WIllie Nelson, King Crimson, Smokey Robinson and two Curtis Mayfields. (Smokey, Curtis and Paul Simon are my 3 headed Mt Rushmore).

I love love love Zep. I do think their legacy is tainted by stealing all those tunes on their first few albums without giving proper credit. But they certainly grew to become a creative force of brilliant music. Their super deluxe box sets STILL haven't really come down in price yet. I've only got Zoso, Houses of the Holy and Physical Graffiti thus far. The bonus discs are weird. Half of the tunes are really insightful alternate takes/stages. But the other half are barely any different at all. Frustrating given how expensive they are.

You have good taste. I love Paul Simon , one of my all time favorites. And Smokey and Curtis are in my pantheon as well.

About 6 years ago, my wife bought us tickets for the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame Anniversary concert held at Madison Square Garden in NYC. This was one of the greatest nights of my life. This was the lineup : Crosby Stills & Nash (with special guests James Taylor, Bonnie Raitt, and Jackson Browne), Paul Simon/Simon & Garfunkel (with special guests Dion and Little Anthony and the Imperials), Stevie Wonder (with special guests Smokey Robinson, BB King, John Legend, Sting and Jeff Beck), and Bruce Springsteen (with special guests John Fogerty, Sam Moore, Darlene Love, and Tom Morello).

I actually got the recent 2CD version Led Zep sets from Rhino. I'm a massive fan, but I thought most of the extra discs were snoozers, with a few exceptions.

You were there????? touched

I have the blu ray of that show. Bonnie Raitt singing Love has No Pride with CSN is a gift from the heavens. I didn't even know the song before they sang it, and I was crying by the end.

Smoke singing Tracks with Stevie is lights out fuin. His voice is ever timeless. It bums me out that Smokey only "gets' to play casinos these days. I went to see him in the greater Seattle a few years back. And the casino was literally giving the tickets away close to show time. Totally fricken blows my mind. A man who is single handedly responsible for the soundtrack of a generation, (heck two generations he's written so many brilliant songs), and no one cares.....

That show was a true moment in history. It would have been one of the greatest thrills of my life too.

  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #116 posted 08/13/17 7:57am

Fenwick

DiminutiveRocker said:

A music thread in P&R - I love it! biggrin

Yes! I don't know how we got here, but I'm digging it too!

  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #117 posted 08/13/17 8:15am

jjhunsecker

avatar

Fenwick said:



jjhunsecker said:




Fenwick said:




I'm the same way diversiy wise. I think my 6 disc changer in my car righ now has Crowded House, WIllie Nelson, King Crimson, Smokey Robinson and two Curtis Mayfields. (Smokey, Curtis and Paul Simon are my 3 headed Mt Rushmore).

I love love love Zep. I do think their legacy is tainted by stealing all those tunes on their first few albums without giving proper credit. But they certainly grew to become a creative force of brilliant music. Their super deluxe box sets STILL haven't really come down in price yet. I've only got Zoso, Houses of the Holy and Physical Graffiti thus far. The bonus discs are weird. Half of the tunes are really insightful alternate takes/stages. But the other half are barely any different at all. Frustrating given how expensive they are.



You have good taste. I love Paul Simon , one of my all time favorites. And Smokey and Curtis are in my pantheon as well.



About 6 years ago, my wife bought us tickets for the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame Anniversary concert held at Madison Square Garden in NYC. This was one of the greatest nights of my life. This was the lineup : Crosby Stills & Nash (with special guests James Taylor, Bonnie Raitt, and Jackson Browne), Paul Simon/Simon & Garfunkel (with special guests Dion and Little Anthony and the Imperials), Stevie Wonder (with special guests Smokey Robinson, BB King, John Legend, Sting and Jeff Beck), and Bruce Springsteen (with special guests John Fogerty, Sam Moore, Darlene Love, and Tom Morello).



I actually got the recent 2CD version Led Zep sets from Rhino. I'm a massive fan, but I thought most of the extra discs were snoozers, with a few exceptions.



You were there????? touched

I have the blu ray of that show. Bonnie Raitt singing Love has No Pride with CSN is a gift from the heavens. I didn't even know the song before they sang it, and I was crying by the end.

Smoke singing Tracks with Stevie is lights out fuin. His voice is ever timeless. It bums me out that Smokey only "gets' to play casinos these days. I went to see him in the greater Seattle a few years back. And the casino was literally giving the tickets away close to show time. Totally fricken blows my mind. A man who is single handedly responsible for the soundtrack of a generation, (heck two generations he's written so many brilliant songs), and no one cares.....

That show was a true moment in history. It would have been one of the greatest thrills of my life too.



Yep. I was there for the first night. The second night featured Aretha Franklin, Metallica, U2, and Jeff Beck (replacing Eric Clapton, who fell seriously ill a few days before the show). It's great on blu-ray , but even better in person (I remember a lot of songs didn't make the cut.
[Edited 8/13/17 8:16am]
  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #118 posted 08/13/17 9:04am

herb4

avatar

I've had my mind changed, actually.

For instance, this administrration is even worse than I ever imagined was possible.

I'm open to salient, well expressed points if they come from and honest place. I used to debate all the time with my libertarian/semi-conservative brother in law beacause he argued in good faith, had a sense of humor and didn't try to deny facts when he argued. My Dad and I used to have knock down drag em outs during the Bush years.

As far as around here, it's rather tough to glean much in the way of enlightentment when you've got Jimmy3121 posting inane Twitter style horeseshit, OnlyinDaUSA writing really short, drive by stuff without much content and DarlngDiana doing whatever the fuck it is you call what she does as the main "counter arguments" to my way of thinking.

I just don't hear/read all that much in the way of convincing arguments coming from most conservatives I meet, and most of what I do pick up seems centered around rugged individualism couched in greed and meanness. I'll concede I have a bit of a closed mind, but I didn't arrive there in a vacuum either. I thought my way there through study, experience and logic. I'm not going to concede many points or learn much of anything from people who deny climate science, think that America's biggest economic problems are because people are lazy immigrants, who stand in the way of sensible gun control legislation, advocate for a Christian theocratic government, deny the logic and need for UHC and who can see anything in Donald J. Trump other than a petulant dangerous manchild.

Only thing I've heard Trump advocate for that I'm down with is increased infrastructure spending, which suprised me to hear him say, until I realized he was talking about his big, dumb stupid wall.

  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #119 posted 08/13/17 11:22am

2freaky4church
1

avatar

I thought Bush would not be so bad until the false flag War of Terror. Patriot Act, Iraq War, drone murder, NSA spying, torture. I was wrong.

I used to be against guns but Michael Moore proved that it is more about gun culture than the actual gun.

I used to think Watergate was a big deal. Chomsky showed me that it was a tea party, compared to Cointelpro or bombing of Cambodia, Laos.

I used to be a mainstream leftie now I am a radical Anarchist. God bless me.

"2freaky is a complete stud." DJ
"2freaky is very down." 2Elijah.
"2freaky convinced me to join Antifa: OnlyNDA
  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Page 4 of 7 <1234567>
  New topic   Printable     (Log in to 'subscribe' to this topic)
« Previous topic  Next topic »
Forums > Politics & Religion > Has anyone here had their mind changed?