independent and unofficial
Prince fan community site
Tue 23rd May 2017 7:51am
Welcome! Sign up or enter username and password to remember me
Forum jump
Forums > Politics & Religion > Bill Maher nails it. Smart phones are the new nicotine.
« Previous topic  Next topic »
Page 3 of 4 <1234>
Reply   New topic   Printable     (Log in to 'subscribe' to this topic)
Reply #60 posted 05/15/17 3:12pm

OnlyNDaUsa

avatar

djThunderfunk said:

OnlyNDaUsa said:

restrictive regulations almost always start with being 'informative'


So, since you don't have any suggestions, can we assume your opinion is to ignore the problem and hope it goes away? It seems like you don't care and don't want anybody else to care. Already told you, if there was an attempt to regulate personal usage in any way I'd be right there with you fighting it, as would most.

I think you just like arguing even when you don't have a better alternative. Not a good look.

i oppose making it an offence to walk while looking at your phone

Action not allowed
I'm sorry, but this request cannot be completed because the member you are attempting to contact has requested that communications from you be blocked.
 Reply w/quote - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #61 posted 05/15/17 3:39pm

djThunderfunk

avatar

OnlyNDaUsa said:

djThunderfunk said:


So, since you don't have any suggestions, can we assume your opinion is to ignore the problem and hope it goes away? It seems like you don't care and don't want anybody else to care. Already told you, if there was an attempt to regulate personal usage in any way I'd be right there with you fighting it, as would most.

I think you just like arguing even when you don't have a better alternative. Not a good look.

i oppose making it an offence to walk while looking at your phone


Interesting...

Because:

That has absolutely ZERO to do with the problem being discussed. The issue at hand is the effect of overuse on the user, the issue you mention is about endangering others by not paying attention in traffic (yes walkers affect "traffic", both vehicular & pedestrian).

Honestly, I don't think there should be a law about using a phone while walking either, however, I think the penalty for causing harm to others because you were looking at your phone should be similar to the penalties for causing harm to others while intoxicated. It's negligence.

Either way, you're entire argument centers around a separate issue than the topic at hand. Pay attention better.




Make CAPTAIN AMERICA great again!! This Secret Empire / Hydra story is UNWORTHY...
 Reply w/quote - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #62 posted 05/15/17 5:13pm

2freaky4church
1

avatar

See, he doesn't listen. He has problems.

"2freaky is a complete stud." DJ
 Reply w/quote - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #63 posted 05/16/17 3:23am

Chancellor

avatar

DiminutiveRocker said:

Maybe his assistant is addicted to the cell phone? lol


..LOL..The Cell Phone and an endless supply of Celebrity Reefer....

 Reply w/quote - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #64 posted 05/16/17 4:10am

OnlyNDaUsa

avatar

djThunderfunk said:

OnlyNDaUsa said:

i oppose making it an offence to walk while looking at your phone


Interesting...

Because:

That has absolutely ZERO to do with the problem being discussed. The issue at hand is the effect of overuse on the user, the issue you mention is about endangering others by not paying attention in traffic (yes walkers affect "traffic", both vehicular & pedestrian).

Honestly, I don't think there should be a law about using a phone while walking either, however, I think the penalty for causing harm to others because you were looking at your phone should be similar to the penalties for causing harm to others while intoxicated. It's negligence.

Either way, you're entire argument centers around a separate issue than the topic at hand. Pay attention better.




I hope so, but if it is totally separate then rant is just that a rant...

Action not allowed
I'm sorry, but this request cannot be completed because the member you are attempting to contact has requested that communications from you be blocked.
 Reply w/quote - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #65 posted 05/20/17 11:59am

7thday

avatar

djThunderfunk said:

As one of the few left who don't even own a cell phone, much less a smart phone, I'm constantly encountering people that don't understand how I could possibly live without one.

That makes two of us, djThunderfunk. I'm holding out without a cell phone and many people don't understand how I do it, until they stop listening to my explanation because something just came up on their dumbphones, like Chris Cornell, a guy who's music they never even bought.

 Reply w/quote - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #66 posted 05/20/17 5:43pm

Pokeno4Money

avatar

7thday said:

djThunderfunk said:

As one of the few left who don't even own a cell phone, much less a smart phone, I'm constantly encountering people that don't understand how I could possibly live without one.

That makes two of us, djThunderfunk. I'm holding out without a cell phone and many people don't understand how I do it, until they stop listening to my explanation because something just came up on their dumbphones, like Chris Cornell, a guy who's music they never even bought.


Cell phones are like social media and a bunch of other technology, the problem is people misuse them instead of using them as they were meant to be used. But if you gave cellphones a try, you'd probably like it. That's what usually happens, because you don't miss something you've never had.

"As a team, we have chosen to stand and interlock arms in unity. We honor those who have fought for the freedom we cherish. And we stand to ensure the riches and freedom and the security of justice for all people." --- Doug Baldwin
 Reply w/quote - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #67 posted 05/20/17 6:37pm

Horsefeathers

avatar

If not for my job and the need for the ability to network and take credit cards on the fly, I probably still would not have a smart phone.
Kids with cancer. Always funny! ~ HF. Context matters.
http://prince.org/msg/105/434875
 Reply w/quote - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #68 posted 05/20/17 9:12pm

djThunderfunk

avatar

Pokeno4Money said:


Cell phones are like social media and a bunch of other technology, the problem is people misuse them instead of using them as they were meant to be used. But if you gave cellphones a try, you'd probably like it. That's what usually happens, because you don't miss something you've never had.


Nope.

I did have a flip phone for a job for a few years. Hated it. Even though I was free to use it all the time I never did except for when required for work.

Wife has a smart phone that I occasionally use for one reason or another. Hate it.

Make CAPTAIN AMERICA great again!! This Secret Empire / Hydra story is UNWORTHY...
 Reply w/quote - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #69 posted 05/20/17 9:52pm

Pokeno4Money

avatar

djThunderfunk said:

Pokeno4Money said:


Cell phones are like social media and a bunch of other technology, the problem is people misuse them instead of using them as they were meant to be used. But if you gave cellphones a try, you'd probably like it. That's what usually happens, because you don't miss something you've never had.


Nope.

I did have a flip phone for a job for a few years. Hated it. Even though I was free to use it all the time I never did except for when required for work.

Wife has a smart phone that I occasionally use for one reason or another. Hate it.


Hard to believe you wouldn't appreciate the GPS feature on cell phones, or being able to call and say you're running late, or being able to buy movie tickets from anywhere. You use the internet on your computer, obviously, so why wouldn't you want internet access when you're away from home? Check weather reports, check sports scores, find restaurants in a travel area ... sooo many ways cell phone are useful.

"As a team, we have chosen to stand and interlock arms in unity. We honor those who have fought for the freedom we cherish. And we stand to ensure the riches and freedom and the security of justice for all people." --- Doug Baldwin
 Reply w/quote - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #70 posted 05/20/17 10:57pm

Horsefeathers

avatar

People are either too addicted to their phones or not addicted enough. lol
Kids with cancer. Always funny! ~ HF. Context matters.
http://prince.org/msg/105/434875
 Reply w/quote - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #71 posted 05/21/17 7:20am

djThunderfunk

avatar

Pokeno4Money said:

djThunderfunk said:


Nope.

I did have a flip phone for a job for a few years. Hated it. Even though I was free to use it all the time I never did except for when required for work.

Wife has a smart phone that I occasionally use for one reason or another. Hate it.


Hard to believe you wouldn't appreciate the GPS feature on cell phones, or being able to call and say you're running late, or being able to buy movie tickets from anywhere. You use the internet on your computer, obviously, so why wouldn't you want internet access when you're away from home? Check weather reports, check sports scores, find restaurants in a travel area ... sooo many ways cell phone are useful.


Hard to believe? Ok, I'm not lying, believe what you will.

I'll take these one at a time:

GPS - I hate GPS. When I'm going somewhere I've never been I do the same thing I've done since I started driving in '86 and look it up before I leave the house and jot down instructions to take with, or carry a map. When I'm with the wife or a friend and they've used the GPS on their phone, in my experience, 50% of the time it gives BAD directions. This has happened again and again, yet, I've never had this problem looking things up ahead of time at home or using a map. My vehicle also doesn't have GPS and if somebody gifted me one I would return it for store credit. GPS sucks, maps rule.

Calling to say I'm running late - If I'm not there, they already know I'm late and when I get there they'll know why.

Tickets - I don't go to the movies, I have a home theater and collect DVDs & Blu-rays. For the price of a movie ticket I can almost buy the movie when it comes out. Add a second ticket for the wife, snacks and gas and I could have bought a couple movies. The theater is not the economical answer for a movie addict like myself.

Internet - I use the internet TOO MUCH when I'm at home. If I'm home and awake my laptop is always on so I can check this or that, it really is an addiction for me like others. The last thing I want is to make it worse and take it with me so I can use it anywhere and everywhere. It's good to get away from devices and have to rely on my brain rather than google. I check the weather first thing everyday on my laptop, don't like sports, rarely eat at restaurants and have never needed a cell phone to facilitate doing so, and I don't travel.

The only thing that has ever made me consider having a phone is to access my massive list of DVD/Blu-rays when out shopping for them to prevent buying something I already have (I've done this WAAAY too many times). However, it would cost more to have a cell phone than to occasionally buy a copy of a movie I already own. Plus, I can return that movie and get my money back, so... Nope.

Really, though, if I could be convinced that I should have a phone, my wife or daughter or parents or friends who know me personally would have come up with a way to convince me by now. You can just give up. It's not like I'm trying to convince you that you don't need one.

You've basically just illustrated what I go through everytime someone finds out I don't have a phone. They just can't understand how I function without one or try to convince me how much better it is with one, thinking that if I only knew how useful they were I would understand and have to have one... It's hilarious to me!

By the way... you don't need a cell phone. Life is so much better when you're not constantly looking at that little screen. wink

[Edited 5/21/17 7:28am]

Make CAPTAIN AMERICA great again!! This Secret Empire / Hydra story is UNWORTHY...
 Reply w/quote - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #72 posted 05/21/17 7:30am

Horsefeathers

avatar

I feel you, dj. I have succumbed to the allure of smart phones because my job requires it, but GPS would not have done it for me (also prefer maps), I also do not order tickets that way (or at all), and can just generally relate to not seeing the appeal if it's not something you need. I find what you're saying totally relatable.
Kids with cancer. Always funny! ~ HF. Context matters.
http://prince.org/msg/105/434875
 Reply w/quote - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #73 posted 05/21/17 9:06am

djThunderfunk

avatar

Horsefeathers said:

I feel you, dj. I have succumbed to the allure of smart phones because my job requires it, but GPS would not have done it for me (also prefer maps), I also do not order tickets that way (or at all), and can just generally relate to not seeing the appeal if it's not something you need. I find what you're saying totally relatable.


It's kind of funny how people react, though. They just can't understand that it's possible to not have one, much less not want one. So many people assume it's a tech phobia (far from it) or I just don't understand how usefull they are (I do, just don't care). If there was anything they could say to convince me I needed one or should want one my family and friends would have already convinced me. They all think I should have one and it drives the wife and my daughter nuts that they can't change my mind.

Some people can't even hear what I'm saying. I tell them I don't have one they assume I mean I don't have it with me... "No, I don't have one at all." followed by blank stares.

I haven't even mentioned the freedom issue. I don't want to be reachable 100% of the time. I like that when I'm out and about, running errands or what not, that I'm unavailable.

I also haven't mentioned the fact that a smartphone is a hackable device that can be used to listen in, look in, track and otherwise spy on every detail of the users life. Usually when I bring this fact up people assume that I'm paranoid and this is the real reason I don't have one when actually it's way at the bottom of the list of reasons since my life obviously isn't worth spying on. If paranoia was my reason I probably wouldn't use a laptop either.

Yeah, I get it, smartphones can make life easier. But, they're far from essential and they can create new problems that don't exist without them. I don't need one, don't want one and wouldn't carry one around even if somebody gave me one and paid all the bills. I'd just turn it off, throw it in my glovebox and go about me day without it.




[Edited 5/21/17 9:09am]

Make CAPTAIN AMERICA great again!! This Secret Empire / Hydra story is UNWORTHY...
 Reply w/quote - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #74 posted 05/21/17 10:11am

2freaky4church
1

avatar

For once you are using your noodle DJ. Hope it rubs off on you know who: Only. lol

"2freaky is a complete stud." DJ
 Reply w/quote - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #75 posted 05/21/17 11:52am

Pokeno4Money

avatar

djThunderfunk said:


Hard to believe? Ok, I'm not lying, believe what you will.

I'll take these one at a time:

GPS - I hate GPS. When I'm going somewhere I've never been I do the same thing I've done since I started driving in '86 and look it up before I leave the house and jot down instructions to take with, or carry a map. When I'm with the wife or a friend and they've used the GPS on their phone, in my experience, 50% of the time it gives BAD directions. This has happened again and again, yet, I've never had this problem looking things up ahead of time at home or using a map. My vehicle also doesn't have GPS and if somebody gifted me one I would return it for store credit. GPS sucks, maps rule.

Calling to say I'm running late - If I'm not there, they already know I'm late and when I get there they'll know why.

Tickets - I don't go to the movies, I have a home theater and collect DVDs & Blu-rays. For the price of a movie ticket I can almost buy the movie when it comes out. Add a second ticket for the wife, snacks and gas and I could have bought a couple movies. The theater is not the economical answer for a movie addict like myself.

Internet - I use the internet TOO MUCH when I'm at home. If I'm home and awake my laptop is always on so I can check this or that, it really is an addiction for me like others. The last thing I want is to make it worse and take it with me so I can use it anywhere and everywhere. It's good to get away from devices and have to rely on my brain rather than google. I check the weather first thing everyday on my laptop, don't like sports, rarely eat at restaurants and have never needed a cell phone to facilitate doing so, and I don't travel.

The only thing that has ever made me consider having a phone is to access my massive list of DVD/Blu-rays when out shopping for them to prevent buying something I already have (I've done this WAAAY too many times). However, it would cost more to have a cell phone than to occasionally buy a copy of a movie I already own. Plus, I can return that movie and get my money back, so... Nope.

Really, though, if I could be convinced that I should have a phone, my wife or daughter or parents or friends who know me personally would have come up with a way to convince me by now. You can just give up. It's not like I'm trying to convince you that you don't need one.

You've basically just illustrated what I go through everytime someone finds out I don't have a phone. They just can't understand how I function without one or try to convince me how much better it is with one, thinking that if I only knew how useful they were I would understand and have to have one... It's hilarious to me!

By the way... you don't need a cell phone. Life is so much better when you're not constantly looking at that little screen. wink

[Edited 5/21/17 7:28am]


GPS - What happens when the printed directions steers you wrong, or you get lost for some reason (accident, construction, etc) and then you don't even know where you are or how to get where you're going from there?

Calling to say you're late - Common courtesy to give them an idea when you'll be arriving, and lets them know you are okay

Running out of gas - When you've got no idea where the closest OPEN gas station might be, or how many miles to get there, or how to get there, it sure would help to have internet on your phone

The other stuff I understand, you lead a simple life which is cool (almost sounds like the Amish LOL). Just to re-state, I'm middle of the road when it comes to cell phones. I like using them because of the many reasons I've stated, but I also agree with you that some people are way too addicted to theirs.

Kinda funny how I'm defending (to a certain point) technology here, but getting slammed in GD for not liking Facebook. But that's me, often in the "middle" rather than taking a side. lol






[Edited 5/21/17 11:53am]

"As a team, we have chosen to stand and interlock arms in unity. We honor those who have fought for the freedom we cherish. And we stand to ensure the riches and freedom and the security of justice for all people." --- Doug Baldwin
 Reply w/quote - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #76 posted 05/21/17 11:54am

Horsefeathers

avatar

Nobody slammed you in GD for not liking facebook.

Carry on.
Kids with cancer. Always funny! ~ HF. Context matters.
http://prince.org/msg/105/434875
 Reply w/quote - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #77 posted 05/21/17 11:57am

Pokeno4Money

avatar

Horsefeathers said:

Nobody slammed you in GD for not liking facebook. Carry on.


I was wrongly told my response didn't belong there, that's slammin'.

"As a team, we have chosen to stand and interlock arms in unity. We honor those who have fought for the freedom we cherish. And we stand to ensure the riches and freedom and the security of justice for all people." --- Doug Baldwin
 Reply w/quote - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #78 posted 05/21/17 12:02pm

Horsefeathers

avatar

Pokeno4Money said:



Horsefeathers said:


Nobody slammed you in GD for not liking facebook. Carry on.


I was wrongly told my response didn't belong there, that's slammin'.



No one said anything like that.
Kids with cancer. Always funny! ~ HF. Context matters.
http://prince.org/msg/105/434875
 Reply w/quote - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #79 posted 05/21/17 12:04pm

Pokeno4Money

avatar

Horsefeathers said:

Pokeno4Money said:


I was wrongly told my response didn't belong there, that's slammin'.

No one said anything like that.


Read that thread again, it's not you I'm talkin' about. You were actually quite polite. biggrin

"As a team, we have chosen to stand and interlock arms in unity. We honor those who have fought for the freedom we cherish. And we stand to ensure the riches and freedom and the security of justice for all people." --- Doug Baldwin
 Reply w/quote - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #80 posted 05/21/17 12:09pm

djThunderfunk

avatar

Pokeno4Money said:


GPS - What happens when the printed directions steers you wrong, or you get lost for some reason (accident, construction, etc) and then you don't even know where you are or how to get where you're going from there?

This has literally never happened to me. GPS however HAS steered me wrong. Several times.

Calling to say you're late - Common courtesy to give them an idea when you'll be arriving, and lets them know you are okay

Yes. If possible. If something happens in route however, and you don't call, it is NOT uncourteous if you don't have a phone. It's simply the way it is.

Running out of gas - When you've got no idea where the closest OPEN gas station might be, or how many miles to get there, or how to get there, it sure would help to have internet on your phone

I'm not driving all over the country. I'm driving around my hometown. If I let my vehicle run out of gas without knowing where to get more then I'm a dumbass and deserve it.

The other stuff I understand, you lead a simple life which is cool (almost sounds like the Amish LOL). Just to re-state, I'm middle of the road when it comes to cell phones. I like using them because of the many reasons I've stated, but I also agree with you that some people are way too addicted to theirs.

I don't lead a simple life, I live a normal life simply. For the life of me I can't understand how someone would need a phone to keep from getting lost, keep from running out of gas, decide where to eat, etc. You don't even need one to call someone or use the internet unless you need to be available by phone 24/7 or need access to the internet when you're out and about... And I simply don't need that.

Kinda funny how I'm defending (to a certain point) technology here, but getting slammed in GD for not liking Facebook. But that's me, often in the "middle" rather than taking a side. lol

I refuse to use facebook, too. The single reason that I should, my daughter lives out of state and other family members know more about what is going on in her life than I do because they all use facebook, is not even enough to get me to waste one second of my life with that. If that won't get me on it nothing will.

I don't use twitter or text (obviously) either...


Make CAPTAIN AMERICA great again!! This Secret Empire / Hydra story is UNWORTHY...
 Reply w/quote - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #81 posted 05/21/17 12:10pm

Horsefeathers

avatar

Pokeno4Money said:



Horsefeathers said:


Pokeno4Money said:



I was wrongly told my response didn't belong there, that's slammin'.



No one said anything like that.


Read that thread again, it's not you I'm talkin' about. You were actually quite polite. biggrin



I did (and thanks). I honestly still disagree, though. Someone said fuck those who feel superior for not having facebook, and someone else said that you were treating the discussion as if it were PR, but neither seems to me like an attempt to silence you.
Kids with cancer. Always funny! ~ HF. Context matters.
http://prince.org/msg/105/434875
 Reply w/quote - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #82 posted 05/21/17 12:15pm

Pokeno4Money

avatar

djThunderfunk said:

Pokeno4Money said:


GPS - What happens when the printed directions steers you wrong, or you get lost for some reason (accident, construction, etc) and then you don't even know where you are or how to get where you're going from there?

This has literally never happened to me. GPS however HAS steered me wrong. Several times.

Calling to say you're late - Common courtesy to give them an idea when you'll be arriving, and lets them know you are okay

Yes. If possible. If something happens in route however, and you don't call, it is NOT uncourteous if you don't have a phone. It's simply the way it is.

Running out of gas - When you've got no idea where the closest OPEN gas station might be, or how many miles to get there, or how to get there, it sure would help to have internet on your phone

I'm not driving all over the country. I'm driving around my hometown. If I let my vehicle run out of gas without knowing where to get more then I'm a dumbass and deserve it.

The other stuff I understand, you lead a simple life which is cool (almost sounds like the Amish LOL). Just to re-state, I'm middle of the road when it comes to cell phones. I like using them because of the many reasons I've stated, but I also agree with you that some people are way too addicted to theirs.

I don't lead a simple life, I live a normal life simply. For the life of me I can't understand how someone would need a phone to keep from getting lost, keep from running out of gas, decide where to eat, etc. You don't even need one to call someone or use the internet unless you need to be available by phone 24/7 or need access to the internet when you're out and about... And I simply don't need that.

Kinda funny how I'm defending (to a certain point) technology here, but getting slammed in GD for not liking Facebook. But that's me, often in the "middle" rather than taking a side. lol

I refuse to use facebook, too. The single reason that I should, my daughter lives out of state and other family members know more about what is going on in her life than I do because they all use facebook, is not even enough to get me to waste one second of my life with that. If that won't get me on it nothing will.

I don't use twitter or text (obviously) either...



I have one final word: convenience

Yes, I understand why you believe you don't "need" a cellphone, and it sounds like you truly don't need one. But having one would certainly make your life more convenient, IF you ever get to a point where convenience is something you want. wink

"As a team, we have chosen to stand and interlock arms in unity. We honor those who have fought for the freedom we cherish. And we stand to ensure the riches and freedom and the security of justice for all people." --- Doug Baldwin
 Reply w/quote - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #83 posted 05/21/17 12:21pm

Horsefeathers

avatar

djThunderfunk said:



Pokeno4Money said:





GPS - What happens when the printed directions steers you wrong, or you get lost for some reason (accident, construction, etc) and then you don't even know where you are or how to get where you're going from there?

This has literally never happened to me. GPS however HAS steered me wrong. Several times.

Calling to say you're late - Common courtesy to give them an idea when you'll be arriving, and lets them know you are okay

Yes. If possible. If something happens in route however, and you don't call, it is NOT uncourteous if you don't have a phone. It's simply the way it is.

Running out of gas - When you've got no idea where the closest OPEN gas station might be, or how many miles to get there, or how to get there, it sure would help to have internet on your phone

I'm not driving all over the country. I'm driving around my hometown. If I let my vehicle run out of gas without knowing where to get more then I'm a dumbass and deserve it.

The other stuff I understand, you lead a simple life which is cool (almost sounds like the Amish LOL). Just to re-state, I'm middle of the road when it comes to cell phones. I like using them because of the many reasons I've stated, but I also agree with you that some people are way too addicted to theirs.

I don't lead a simple life, I live a normal life simply. For the life of me I can't understand how someone would need a phone to keep from getting lost, keep from running out of gas, decide where to eat, etc. You don't even need one to call someone or use the internet unless you need to be available by phone 24/7 or need access to the internet when you're out and about... And I simply don't need that.

Kinda funny how I'm defending (to a certain point) technology here, but getting slammed in GD for not liking Facebook. But that's me, often in the "middle" rather than taking a side. lol

I refuse to use facebook, too. The single reason that I should, my daughter lives out of state and other family members know more about what is going on in her life than I do because they all use facebook, is not even enough to get me to waste one second of my life with that. If that won't get me on it nothing will.

I don't use twitter or text (obviously) either...







This all still seems reasonable to me. Even though I have GPS, I still much prefer a map. Retired longhaul trucker here, traveled the US and Canada extensively without cell phones or GPS, and still prefer a map.

I do believe that cell phones are super convenient, but I'm with you in not believing they have to be essential. I need to be able to take credit cards and reach clients on the fly because that's the nature of my current job, but I could totally imagine not having ever had a smart phone if not for that. I don't care to be constantly in touch either, and my phone is frequently "off" for that reason. I'm kind of an old school, cane-shaking grumpy old fart in that I do not believe I have to open my door just because someone is knocking, and I don't have to be available by phone 24/7 just because someone is calling.

But now there is the super convenient setting that lets me screen my calls and silence anything from anyone I would not want to be able to reach me 24/7 and let the couple of people I'd want to hear from in an emergency through. lol
Kids with cancer. Always funny! ~ HF. Context matters.
http://prince.org/msg/105/434875
 Reply w/quote - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #84 posted 05/21/17 12:29pm

Pokeno4Money

avatar

Horsefeathers said:

But now there is the super convenient setting that lets me screen my calls and silence anything from anyone I would not want to be able to reach me 24/7 and let the couple of people I'd want to hear from in an emergency through. lol


That's an excellent point. It's not like we're forced to answer calls or texts from everyone, we can decide who to answer and who to ignore.

Not like the old days when the phone would ring and we'd have no idea who was calling. whew

"As a team, we have chosen to stand and interlock arms in unity. We honor those who have fought for the freedom we cherish. And we stand to ensure the riches and freedom and the security of justice for all people." --- Doug Baldwin
 Reply w/quote - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #85 posted 05/21/17 12:36pm

Horsefeathers

avatar

I get both sides. I get the convenience, but only because my job necessitated me becoming familiar with it. If not for that, well, I would not have missed what I never had because it would have been unnecessary.
Kids with cancer. Always funny! ~ HF. Context matters.
http://prince.org/msg/105/434875
 Reply w/quote - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #86 posted 05/21/17 12:57pm

Pokeno4Money

avatar

Horsefeathers said:

I get both sides. I get the convenience, but only because my job necessitated me becoming familiar with it. If not for that, well, I would not have missed what I never had because it would have been unnecessary.


If you think of it that way, then virtually nothing is necessary.

People survived hundreds, even thousands of years ago with absolutely no modern conveniences. The whole point of inventions is for convenience. People didn't NEED electricity, running water, porn, cars, appliances etc back in the day. But life is a hella lot better with all them.

"As a team, we have chosen to stand and interlock arms in unity. We honor those who have fought for the freedom we cherish. And we stand to ensure the riches and freedom and the security of justice for all people." --- Doug Baldwin
 Reply w/quote - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #87 posted 05/21/17 1:17pm

Horsefeathers

avatar

Pokeno4Money said:



Horsefeathers said:


I get both sides. I get the convenience, but only because my job necessitated me becoming familiar with it. If not for that, well, I would not have missed what I never had because it would have been unnecessary.


If you think of it that way, then virtually nothing is necessary.

People survived hundreds, even thousands of years ago with absolutely no modern conveniences. The whole point of inventions is for convenience. People didn't NEED electricity, running water, porn, cars, appliances etc back in the day. But life is a hella lot better with all them.



Which is exactly what I said in the facebook thread. lol
Kids with cancer. Always funny! ~ HF. Context matters.
http://prince.org/msg/105/434875
 Reply w/quote - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #88 posted 05/21/17 1:23pm

Pokeno4Money

avatar

Horsefeathers said:

Pokeno4Money said:


If you think of it that way, then virtually nothing is necessary.

People survived hundreds, even thousands of years ago with absolutely no modern conveniences. The whole point of inventions is for convenience. People didn't NEED electricity, running water, porn, cars, appliances etc back in the day. But life is a hella lot better with all them.

Which is exactly what I said in the facebook thread. lol


So you're basically just disagreeing with me on every thread. lol

"As a team, we have chosen to stand and interlock arms in unity. We honor those who have fought for the freedom we cherish. And we stand to ensure the riches and freedom and the security of justice for all people." --- Doug Baldwin
 Reply w/quote - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #89 posted 05/21/17 1:25pm

Horsefeathers

avatar

Pokeno4Money said:



Horsefeathers said:


Pokeno4Money said:



If you think of it that way, then virtually nothing is necessary.

People survived hundreds, even thousands of years ago with absolutely no modern conveniences. The whole point of inventions is for convenience. People didn't NEED electricity, running water, porn, cars, appliances etc back in the day. But life is a hella lot better with all them.



Which is exactly what I said in the facebook thread. lol


So you're basically just disagreeing with me on every thread. lol



Kind of. lol
Kids with cancer. Always funny! ~ HF. Context matters.
http://prince.org/msg/105/434875
 Reply w/quote - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Page 3 of 4 <1234>
Reply   New topic   Printable     (Log in to 'subscribe' to this topic)
« Previous topic  Next topic »
Forums > Politics & Religion > Bill Maher nails it. Smart phones are the new nicotine.