independent and unofficial
Prince fan community site
Mon 20th Nov 2017 8:27pm
Welcome! Sign up or enter username and password to remember me
Forum jump
Forums > Politics & Religion > The Stars Of Hidden Figures Have Spoken Out Against Homophobic Kim Burrell
« Previous topic  Next topic »
Page 2 of 3 <123>
  New topic   Printable     (Log in to 'subscribe' to this topic)
Reply #30 posted 01/05/17 10:12am

jjhunsecker

avatar

Factor1 said:

jjhunsecker said:

That's fine on paper...but in practice that not "condoning" certain things often slips in hatred and bigotry

That is a separate problem and should be addressed. The church shouldn't condone hatred or bigotry towards anyone, but they also shouldn't be expected to change their belief about homosexuality.

What people worry about is how one could easily slip into the other, or even cause it, or justify it

  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #31 posted 01/05/17 10:39am

OldFriends4Sal
e

avatar

moderator

Factor1 said:

OldFriends4Sale said:

it is based in a fear, and ignorance

.

the rhetoric used to hype it up is definately based in fear: from gay men being child molestors, the gay agenda to pervert and convert, it destroys nations etc

.

Ever notice how nothing in the scriptures excep for 1 thing Paul said, ever condemned anything close to female homosexuality? Never mentioned anywhere before or after Romans.

.

Also the whole Leviticus verse is plainly in connection to Temple prostitutes ie Sodomites, but people have now inserted the word homosexual(male) in place of what it was talking about.

Not everyone who doesn't believe in homosexuality has a fear of it. That's absurd. I really don't understand why you expect those in the religious community to condone homosexuality. That's doesn't mean those in the religious community should be hateful in any way towards homosexuals or any other group. The church should welcome all people, but that doesn't mean they have to accept behavior that is contrary to their beliefs. A lot of people have lifestyles that are in direct conflict with church doctorine. Should the church condone all those behaviors to? [Edited 1/5/17 8:57am]

it is not absurd. And we are not talking about everyone, we are talking about the reasonings that I know a lot of 'churches' have taken homosexuality to be a sin.

.

I'm in the religious community.

.

I'll say/ask again:No place in the Torah does Jehovah condemn female homosexuality. NO PLACE. And according to the Bible, where there is no condemnation there can be no sin. So why is Female Homosexualiy a sin in the Church?
.
But again, I brought up some key things, that show that feel AND ignorance is the foundation of it, because the place that they initially pulled from to refraim and paint as homosexuality was 1. dealing with ceremonial laws (Pig are not morally unclean, nor are rabbits, horses and camels) 2. dealing with Temple Prostitutes, which the very same scripture calls Sodomites. So from there you look at the reasonings, who reasoned, and why...

I'll add another 'fear of an ethnic groups disintegration'

What's the matter with your life
Is poverty bringing U down?
Is the mailman jerking U 'round?
Did he put your million dollar check
In someone else's box?
Tell me, what's the matter with your world
  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #32 posted 01/05/17 10:52am

2freaky4church
1

avatar

You can be against gay marriage and not be a bigot. Like Cornel's bud Robbie George.

DJ is da man
"2freaky is very down." 2Elijah.
"2freaky convinced me to join Antifa: OnlyNDA
  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #33 posted 01/05/17 11:10am

morningsong

avatar

Factor1 said:

jjhunsecker said:

That's fine on paper...but in practice that not "condoning" certain things often slips in hatred and bigotry

That is a separate problem and should be addressed. The church shouldn't condone hatred or bigotry towards anyone, but they also shouldn't be expected to change their belief about homosexuality.




All I know is that Bishop Charles E. Blake the presiding bishop over COGIC, the largest predominently black church organization in the world has taken a lot of flak for his condemnation of the vile homophobic things that Rev. Earl Carter has said at one of the convocations. He's just been elected for his 3rd term. Dispite all of the backlash, that's a sign that the leadership is taking a stand at, at least, the viciousness that's being spewed from pulpits and there is strong support for taking such stances, even though there is still a major riff and disagreement within the community. All these other people I honestly don't know who they are and where they stand but they aren't my leadership so I don't pay much attention to them. Tons of black Christians are in the same boat.

“Do I dare Disturb the universe?”
― T.S. Eliot

“Only by acceptance of the past, can you alter it”
― T.S. Eliot
  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #34 posted 01/05/17 11:25am

2freaky4church
1

avatar

Distressing to see so many black Christians go from Civil rights to prosperity gospel or just yaking about being saved and shit.

DJ is da man
"2freaky is very down." 2Elijah.
"2freaky convinced me to join Antifa: OnlyNDA
  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #35 posted 01/05/17 11:26am

OldFriends4Sal
e

avatar

moderator

2freaky4church1 said:

You can be against gay marriage and not be a bigot. Like Cornel's bud Robbie George.

that is different

What's the matter with your life
Is poverty bringing U down?
Is the mailman jerking U 'round?
Did he put your million dollar check
In someone else's box?
Tell me, what's the matter with your world
  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #36 posted 01/05/17 12:16pm

OldFriends4Sal
e

avatar

moderator

Pharrell, Janelle Monae and Questlove Respond to Kim Burrell's LGBTQ Comments

Chaka Khan, Yolanda Adams and Octavia Spencer also weigh in

http://www.bet.com/music/...l-s-l.html

First came Chaka Khan, who blatantly called the sermon out for promoting hate and judgment. “It never fails that ministries promoting judgment and hate have nothing to do with the divine,” the songstress exclaimed on Twitter. “Love is for everyone!”

Shortly after, Questlove not only addressed his face-palming disappointment with Burrell, but the entire Christian community’s judgment on social issues.

“I want Christians to focus on actually being Christ-like & compassionate to their fellow man,” he said before beginning a series of tweets. “I've seen more sermonizing, coldness, hypocrisy, and utter disdain from the Christian community on every issue (justice/women's issue/lgbtq). No one likes Nagging Hall Monitor. I want to see less ‘God's Teacher's Pet’ and less ‘SMH’ from Christians. And more compassion. That's fair, no?”

He added that the 2016 political election also emboldened such judgmental views and called out the “high-horseness of it all.”

But it was Pharrell, who is slated for an appearance alongside Burrell during the Ellen show on Thursday (Dec. 5), who most had expected to hear from. And after his Twitter post that denounced Burrell’s choice of rhetoric, that expectation was satisfied.

“I condemn hate speech of any kind,” he proclaimed. “There is no room in this world for any kind of prejudice. My greatest hope is for inclusion and love for all humanity in 2017 and beyond.”

Sharply following up his commentary, Janelle Monae reposted Pharrell’s thoughts with a lengthy caption of her own. The R&B songstress has also been actively supportive of the LGBTQ community, and shared a rather impassioned reaction to Burrell’s sermon.

“At times I want to punch and I want to slap a lot of people when I read and hear the sh** that comes out their mouths!” she wrote in the caption. “I will rejoice when folks stop thinking they are God, Jesus' assistant, picking and choosing what ‘sins’ are acceptable in the Bible, and using the Bible as a whip!”

Coming in third to Pharrell’s comments and swiftly after the Electric Lady’s was Octavia Spencer and Yolanda Adams, seconding their opinions on equality and God’s love for all. Janelle Monae and Spencer are also costars in the highly anticipated film Hidden Figures, which is soundtracked by Burrell’s “I See a Victory” single as well.

See the collective reactions on Burrell’s remarks below.

What's the matter with your life
Is poverty bringing U down?
Is the mailman jerking U 'round?
Did he put your million dollar check
In someone else's box?
Tell me, what's the matter with your world
  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #37 posted 01/05/17 12:51pm

2freaky4church
1

avatar

That was my point OF4S.

Her radio show was cancelled. I do believe in free speech, so that may be wrong.

This is a misjudging Jesus moment.

DJ is da man
"2freaky is very down." 2Elijah.
"2freaky convinced me to join Antifa: OnlyNDA
  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #38 posted 01/06/17 5:08am

OldFriends4Sal
e

avatar

moderator

2freaky4church1 said:

That was my point OF4S.

Her radio show was cancelled. I do believe in free speech, so that may be wrong.

This is a misjudging Jesus moment.

Oh she had a radio show too?

She is a vocal/performance coach on a show called Sundays Best(I think it still shows) and Yolanda Adams is one of the judges. Will be an uncomfortable interaction if they both are on the show...

What's the matter with your life
Is poverty bringing U down?
Is the mailman jerking U 'round?
Did he put your million dollar check
In someone else's box?
Tell me, what's the matter with your world
  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #39 posted 01/06/17 5:49am

OldFriends4Sal
e

avatar

moderator

Ellen said she needed to address the controversy and why Burrell was axed from the show:

“She said some very not nice things about homosexuals, so I didn’t feel that was good of me to have her on the show to give her a platform after she was saying things about me.”

Added Pharrell:

“There’s no space, there’s no room for any kind of prejudice in 2017 or moving on. There’s no room. She’s a fantastic singer and I love her just like I love everybody else. We all have to get used to everyone’s differences and understand that this is a big, gigantic, beautiful, colorful world and it only works with inclusion and empathy. It only works that way. Live and let live. Love and let love.”

Replied Ellen:

“Agreed. I think I say it all the time. To me, when I say, ‘Be kind to one another,’ I feel that. Because, as someone who has received a lot of hate and prejudice and discrimination because of who I choose to love, I just don’t understand anyone who has experienced that kind of oppression or anything like that, now…it only gives me more compassion. It gives me more empathy. I don’t ever want anyone to feel hurt because they are different.”

Added Pharrell:

“Whenever you see something. Whenever you hear some sort of hate speech and you feel like it doesn’t pertain to you because you may not have anything to do with that, all you got to do is put the word ‘black’ in that sentence or put ‘gay’ in that sentence or put ‘transgender’ in that sentence or put, uh, ‘white’ in that sentence and all of a sudden it starts to make sense to you…The world is a beautiful place but it does not work without empathy and inclusion. God is love. This universe is love. And that’s the only way it will function.”

why would she do a video response looking like this??

ImageProxy.mvc?bicild=&canary=GTjarSs7MD4B3yyJJ2zqgl2Bhk55OyGpwrjaeUZqOE4%3D0&url=http%3A%2F%2Fi0.wp.com%2Fwww.towleroad.com%2Fwp-content%2Fuploads%2F2016%2F12%2Fburrell.jpeg%3Fresize%3D600%252C330

What's the matter with your life
Is poverty bringing U down?
Is the mailman jerking U 'round?
Did he put your million dollar check
In someone else's box?
Tell me, what's the matter with your world
  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #40 posted 01/07/17 12:18pm

purplepoppy

purpleemotions said:

She was happy to receive a check from being a feature on Frank Ocean's album lol

Haha, and his mama wants him to erase her tracks from his song!

-

Kim stuck her foot in it - quite a dust up. Lost her radio show too.

She got down and dirty. Open up your mouth and put another man's penis in your face?

I was raised on fire & brimstone sermons and it always strikes me how much they love to describe the sins in excruciating detail, almost like they get off on it.

Brand new boogie without the hero.
  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #41 posted 01/07/17 2:45pm

purpleemotions

purplepoppy said:

purpleemotions said:

She was happy to receive a check from being a feature on Frank Ocean's album lol

Haha, and his mama wants him to erase her tracks from his song!

-

Kim stuck her foot in it - quite a dust up. Lost her radio show too.

She got down and dirty. Open up your mouth and put another man's penis in your face?

I was raised on fire & brimstone sermons and it always strikes me how much they love to describe the sins in excruciating detail, almost like they get off on it.

To give such a vivid description makes me wonder if Kim has a secret fetish lol

I have seen the same pastors that denouce homosexuality sleep with half the members of the church. Hypocrisy is contagious

:Pop Life live in Detroit: music
  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #42 posted 01/07/17 5:00pm

uPtoWnNY

TonyVanDam said:

Factor1 said:

The all black congregation she was preaching to didn't seem to have a problem with what she was saying. In fact, I've heard sermons such as this in many black churches. It's nothing new. [Edited 1/4/17 17:21pm]


Of course they didn't have issues with Kim's sermon. Most black conservatives NEVER have issues with bashing non-heterosexual. And yet, I bet most of those same black churches have some gay/bi/lesbian members within the church choirs. rolleyes Don't be surprise how often the choir directors are gay/bi men! lol

Tony, the gayest time in our community is 11am on Sunday morning. Shit, I've known that since childhood. Folks like Kim and Shirley Caeser better open their eyes lol

  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #43 posted 01/08/17 3:30pm

TonyVanDam

uPtoWnNY said:

TonyVanDam said:


Of course they didn't have issues with Kim's sermon. Most black conservatives NEVER have issues with bashing non-heterosexual. And yet, I bet most of those same black churches have some gay/bi/lesbian members within the church choirs. rolleyes Don't be surprise how often the choir directors are gay/bi men! lol

Tony, the gayest time in our community is 11am on Sunday morning. Shit, I've known that since childhood. Folks like Kim and Shirley Caeser better open their eyes lol


Shirley Caeser should've known better decades ago. Excuse me, but the stories about the late Rev. James Cleveland being gay was well known in traditional gospel circles.

  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #44 posted 01/08/17 4:49pm

OldFriends4Sal
e

avatar

moderator

TonyVanDam said:

uPtoWnNY said:

Tony, the gayest time in our community is 11am on Sunday morning. Shit, I've known that since childhood. Folks like Kim and Shirley Caeser better open their eyes lol


Shirley Caeser should've known better decades ago. Excuse me, but the stories about the late Rev. James Cleveland being gay was well known in traditional gospel circles.

She knew back then. He didn't hide it.

What's the matter with your life
Is poverty bringing U down?
Is the mailman jerking U 'round?
Did he put your million dollar check
In someone else's box?
Tell me, what's the matter with your world
  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #45 posted 01/08/17 4:51pm

OldFriends4Sal
e

avatar

moderator

uPtoWnNY said:

TonyVanDam said:


Of course they didn't have issues with Kim's sermon. Most black conservatives NEVER have issues with bashing non-heterosexual. And yet, I bet most of those same black churches have some gay/bi/lesbian members within the church choirs. rolleyes Don't be surprise how often the choir directors are gay/bi men! lol

Tony, the gayest time in our community is 11am on Sunday morning. Shit, I've known that since childhood. Folks like Kim and Shirley Caeser better open their eyes lol

It is probaby Mon - Sunday because they are everywhere in your community, just like everyone elses.

What's the matter with your life
Is poverty bringing U down?
Is the mailman jerking U 'round?
Did he put your million dollar check
In someone else's box?
Tell me, what's the matter with your world
  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #46 posted 01/08/17 8:05pm

TonyVanDam

OldFriends4Sale said:

TonyVanDam said:


Shirley Caeser should've known better decades ago. Excuse me, but the stories about the late Rev. James Cleveland being gay was well known in traditional gospel circles.

She knew back then. He didn't hide it.


Bingo! nod And yet, Shirley still wants to maintain her anti-LGBT stance? What a freaking hypocrite. rolleyes

And BTW, were you aware that Walter Hawkins was also gay [hence why his marriage with Termaine ended in divorce but both remain on good terms]?

  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #47 posted 01/09/17 6:14am

OnlyNDaUsa

avatar

There is a fine line between a rightful criticism of an expression of a bigotry and expressing one's own (in this case religious) bigotry.

"I was raped by the Arkansas AG who then becomes Governor & President..." Juanita Broaddrick
  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #48 posted 01/09/17 6:34am

2freaky4church
1

avatar

The bible is confusing on this.

DJ is da man
"2freaky is very down." 2Elijah.
"2freaky convinced me to join Antifa: OnlyNDA
  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #49 posted 01/09/17 8:20am

jjhunsecker

avatar

2freaky4church1 said:

The bible is confusing on this.

As it is on MANY things

  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #50 posted 01/09/17 9:42am

2freaky4church
1

avatar

Many things it is very correct.

DJ is da man
"2freaky is very down." 2Elijah.
"2freaky convinced me to join Antifa: OnlyNDA
  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #51 posted 01/09/17 10:17am

OldFriends4Sal
e

avatar

moderator

2freaky4church1 said:

The bible is confusing on this.

I think it is really clear. Just peoples ignorance and fears have inserted itself in the place of the truth.

And people love a lie over the truth.

What's the matter with your life
Is poverty bringing U down?
Is the mailman jerking U 'round?
Did he put your million dollar check
In someone else's box?
Tell me, what's the matter with your world
  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #52 posted 01/09/17 10:19am

OldFriends4Sal
e

avatar

moderator

TonyVanDam said:

OldFriends4Sale said:

She knew back then. He didn't hide it.


Bingo! nod And yet, Shirley still wants to maintain her anti-LGBT stance? What a freaking hypocrite. rolleyes

And BTW, were you aware that Walter Hawkins was also gay [hence why his marriage with Termaine ended in divorce but both remain on good terms]?

I thought it was his brother Edwin Hawkins that was gay.
Walter Hawkins was married a few times.

What's the matter with your life
Is poverty bringing U down?
Is the mailman jerking U 'round?
Did he put your million dollar check
In someone else's box?
Tell me, what's the matter with your world
  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #53 posted 01/09/17 11:30am

TonyVanDam

OldFriends4Sale said:

TonyVanDam said:


Bingo! nod And yet, Shirley still wants to maintain her anti-LGBT stance? What a freaking hypocrite. rolleyes

And BTW, were you aware that Walter Hawkins was also gay [hence why his marriage with Termaine ended in divorce but both remain on good terms]?

I thought it was his brother Edwin Hawkins that was gay.
Walter Hawkins was married a few times.


It was definitely Walter.

  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #54 posted 01/09/17 11:35am

OldFriends4Sal
e

avatar

moderator

TonyVanDam said:

OldFriends4Sale said:

I thought it was his brother Edwin Hawkins that was gay.
Walter Hawkins was married a few times.


It was definitely Walter.

ok, but I think they both are gay (Walter Hawkins RIP)

What's the matter with your life
Is poverty bringing U down?
Is the mailman jerking U 'round?
Did he put your million dollar check
In someone else's box?
Tell me, what's the matter with your world
  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #55 posted 01/09/17 5:01pm

ladygirl99

If a staunch Christian and want to work in Hollywood, then you better pretend to like gays since they run the shit. Even Steve Harvey who is religious himself said two main groups you better not fuck with in Hollywood. Jews and Gay. They need to leave that hatred shit in their backwood places they came from even as I am perplex why they wanted to be involved in an industry that is pretty much opposite of their values and beliefs other than wanted fame and money.

And also I want to knock some dumbass black homophobes in the head for claimed to preach about Jesus and love, hollaring about being oppressed and screaming out for social justice, but yet failed to realize some of their hurtful sermons is mainly the reason why some black queers either remained in the closet or doesn't want nothing to do with the black community.

I am not saying that other communities aren't any less homophobic but yeah when a minority community who screams justice and turned around tried to opposed their margalized groups (like women, queers, disability, transpeople) for being who they are it hurts badly. Espescially if you are a member of various minority groups and you often searching for safe haven in minority communities. As a black queer, in the black community there is homophobia, in the white community there is a reminder you are black and interior, and in the LGBT community, queers (aka the ones who doesn't neatly identify as being straight or gay) get shit on and are being taunted by LG for being confused.

Overall there are some decent ass Christians and other people who practice their faiths out there who love and support the LGBT and heck even nonbelievers. So I don't want anyone who think I have issue with religion people but I stand for queer and LGBT community first since every country in the world continues to constantly challenge human rights for LGBT.

  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #56 posted 01/10/17 8:08am

OldFriends4Sal
e

avatar

moderator

What's the matter with your life
Is poverty bringing U down?
Is the mailman jerking U 'round?
Did he put your million dollar check
In someone else's box?
Tell me, what's the matter with your world
  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #57 posted 01/10/17 12:12pm

purplepoppy

Janelle has been amazing and shown a lot of grace over an awkward issue while promoting the 2 movies she's in. She has arrived. Prince would be proud. eye

Burrell is sidelined. Really, did she think Ellen would play that shit?

Brand new boogie without the hero.
  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #58 posted 01/11/17 7:18am

djThunderfunk

avatar

OldFriends4Sale said:

So Kim seemed to be gearing up to get her 'crossover'? career going with Pharrell, appearing on Ellen etc and then she preaches some stuff against anyone in her church 'operating' with the Homosexual Spirit. From what I understand, allegedly, her husband left her for another man...

.

.

.

http://www.msn.com/en-us/...spartanntp

Hollywood is quickly coming down on Kim Burrell after her homophobic rant in December. First, fans of Ellen demanded that the gospel singer not appear on the popular daytime talk show. Degeneres herself later confirmed on Twitter that Burrell would not come on the show. Now, Octavia Spencer, Pharrell Williams, and Janell Monáe have each spoken out against the Burrell. As the stars of December's Hidden Figures, these responses are quite notable the southern-based musician is featured on the film's soundtrack. (She joins Williams in the song "I See A Victory.")

.

.

"

I shouldn't even have to post this as you guys should already know where I stand but If you do not pls know I unequivocally repudiate ANY AND ALL hateful comments against the LGBTQ community. In addition, I feel we all belong to the same community, a shared community called humanity. And today and tomorrow and the next day I will continue to stand with other like minded people who condemn any and all statements and actions that would seek to deny the basic humanity of our fellow brothers and sisters. We cannot sit Idly by nor will we speak silently when we are confronted with such violence against members of our community. I am personally beyond exhausted by the ignorance and bigotry living in some people. At times I want to punch and I want to slap a lot of people when I read and hear the shit that comes out their mouthes !!! I will rejoice when folks stop thinking they ARE GOD, Jesus' assistant, picking and choosing what "sins" are acceptable in the Bible, and using the Bible as a whip! WE can't afford anymore tearing down of our shared humanity. My advice: If your religion is causing you to spew out words of hate, judge, or look down on others because of who one loves then you need to change it. And fast. If the religion don't make you are more loving or better person, ditch it. But what do I know. My hope is that we ALL go into this new year considering for one moment that we don't have all the answers. My hope is that we become more understanding, less judgmental, more tolerate, and more patient with one another. Including me. HAPPY NEW YEAR. 🙏🏿❤"


I'll preface with, I have no issues with, nothing against homosexuals. Why would I care about the sexuality of others. Doesn't affect me. Everybody deserves the same rights and pursuit of happiness.

That said, if I'm reading this right, you are equating Ms. Burrell's WORDS with violence. Then, 2 sentences later, admit the desire to be violent to others because you don't like the words coming out of their mouths.

Now, I never even heard of this Burrell chick before this thread. But, she has as much a right to her opinion, her religious beliefs and freedom of speech, as anyone else. Homosexuals deserve EVERY right that every one else has, they don't have a right to silence opposing views.

Bottom line: I agree with your desire to stand up against persecution of ANYONE (in this case homosexuals). I disagree with your apparent willingness to silence dissenting opinions. Also, not a good look to equate the words of another with violence followed by a desire to be violent to them because of their words. Kind of hypocritical...



[Edited 1/11/17 7:25am]

We were HERE, where were you?

4 those that knew the number and didn't call... fk all y'all!
  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #59 posted 01/11/17 8:24am

OldFriends4Sal
e

avatar

moderator

djThunderfunk said:

OldFriends4Sale said:

So Kim seemed to be gearing up to get her 'crossover'? career going with Pharrell, appearing on Ellen etc and then she preaches some stuff against anyone in her church 'operating' with the Homosexual Spirit. From what I understand, allegedly, her husband left her for another man...

.

.

.

http://www.msn.com/en-us/...spartanntp

Hollywood is quickly coming down on Kim Burrell after her homophobic rant in December. First, fans of Ellen demanded that the gospel singer not appear on the popular daytime talk show. Degeneres herself later confirmed on Twitter that Burrell would not come on the show. Now, Octavia Spencer, Pharrell Williams, and Janell Monáe have each spoken out against the Burrell. As the stars of December's Hidden Figures, these responses are quite notable the southern-based musician is featured on the film's soundtrack. (She joins Williams in the song "I See A Victory.")

.

.

"

I shouldn't even have to post this as you guys should already know where I stand but If you do not pls know I unequivocally repudiate ANY AND ALL hateful comments against the LGBTQ community. In addition, I feel we all belong to the same community, a shared community called humanity. And today and tomorrow and the next day I will continue to stand with other like minded people who condemn any and all statements and actions that would seek to deny the basic humanity of our fellow brothers and sisters. We cannot sit Idly by nor will we speak silently when we are confronted with such violence against members of our community. I am personally beyond exhausted by the ignorance and bigotry living in some people. At times I want to punch and I want to slap a lot of people when I read and hear the shit that comes out their mouthes !!! I will rejoice when folks stop thinking they ARE GOD, Jesus' assistant, picking and choosing what "sins" are acceptable in the Bible, and using the Bible as a whip! WE can't afford anymore tearing down of our shared humanity. My advice: If your religion is causing you to spew out words of hate, judge, or look down on others because of who one loves then you need to change it. And fast. If the religion don't make you are more loving or better person, ditch it. But what do I know. My hope is that we ALL go into this new year considering for one moment that we don't have all the answers. My hope is that we become more understanding, less judgmental, more tolerate, and more patient with one another. Including me. HAPPY NEW YEAR. 🙏🏿❤"


I'll preface with, I have no issues with, nothing against homosexuals. Why would I care about the sexuality of others. Doesn't affect me. Everybody deserves the same rights and pursuit of happiness.

That said, if I'm reading this right, you are equating Ms. Burrell's WORDS with violence. Then, 2 sentences later, admit the desire to be violent to others because you don't like the words coming out of their mouths.

Now, I never even heard of this Burrell chick before this thread. But, she has as much a right to her opinion, her religious beliefs and freedom of speech, as anyone else. Homosexuals deserve EVERY right that every one else has, they don't have a right to silence opposing views.

Bottom line: I agree with your desire to stand up against persecution of ANYONE (in this case homosexuals). I disagree with your apparent willingness to silence dissenting opinions. Also, not a good look to equate the words of another with violence followed by a desire to be violent to them because of their words. Kind of hypocritical...



[Edited 1/11/17 7:25am]

who are you talking to?

Anything 'under the MSN link is not my words

What's the matter with your life
Is poverty bringing U down?
Is the mailman jerking U 'round?
Did he put your million dollar check
In someone else's box?
Tell me, what's the matter with your world
  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Page 2 of 3 <123>
  New topic   Printable     (Log in to 'subscribe' to this topic)
« Previous topic  Next topic »
Forums > Politics & Religion > The Stars Of Hidden Figures Have Spoken Out Against Homophobic Kim Burrell