independent and unofficial
Prince fan community site
Thu 24th May 2018 10:09pm
Welcome! Sign up or enter username and password to remember me
Forum jump
Forums > Politics & Religion > Indian man slammed down after caller reported 'black guy'
« Previous topic  Next topic »
  New topic   Printable     (Log in to 'subscribe' to this topic)
Author

Tweet     Share

Message
Thread started 02/14/15 9:09am

free2bfreeda

Indian man slammed down after caller reported 'black guy'

: http://news.yahoo.com/ala...39725.html

Associated Press

MADISON, Alabama (AP) — A man from India who was slammed to the ground by a police officer had been singled out by police after a caller said a "skinny black guy" with a toboggan hat was walking in the neighborhood and peering into garages, recordings show.

The man, Sureshbhai Patel, 57, doesn't speak English and was slammed to the ground face-first by an officer when he didn't respond to commands. But he had committed no crime, the Madison police chief said.

Eric Parker, Madison police officer recommended for termination after the incident involving  Sureshbhai Patel on Feb. 6 (Photo: Limestone County Sheriff's Office)

Officer Eric Parker was arrested and is being fired.

MADISON, Alabama (AP) — A man from India who was slammed to the ground by a police officer had been singled out by police after a caller said a "skinny black guy" with a toboggan hat was walking in the neighborhood and peering into garages, recordings show.

The man, Sureshbhai Patel, 57, doesn't speak English and was slammed to the ground face-first by an officer when he didn't respond to commands. But he had committed no crime, the Madison police chief said.

Sureshbhai Patel, 57,

Officer Eric Parker was arrested and is being fired. He has not commented publicly, and court records were not available Friday to show whether he has a lawyer.

Patel filed a lawsuit Thursday over the Feb. 6 incident in Madison, where he was visiting his son's family. His injuries include partial paralysis but he hopes for a full recovery, according to the lawsuit and Patel's lawyer. The lawsuit says Patel's civil rights were violated. It seeks an unspecified amount of money.

The Indian government is taking the incident seriously and is "extremely disturbed" by the treatment of Patel, a spokesman said Friday.

"This is a matter of concern for us, and India and the U.S. as open pluralist societies need to address these issues and find ways in a mature manner so that these are aberrations and are not the norm," said Syed Akbaruddin, India's foreign ministry spokesman.

Embassy of India spokesman Sridharan Madhusudhanan said in an emailed statement that the office has been in touch with Patel's family, the doctors who are caring for him and the U.S. Embassy in Delhi.

"Our understanding of the situation is that while there has been some progress, the medical condition of Mr. Sureshbhai Patel is still a matter of concern," Madhusudhanan said.

The incident began when a man called police complaining that an unfamiliar man was wandering about his neighborhood and peering toward garages. He said the man had been seen wandering the day before as well.

"He's a skinny black guy. He's got a toboggan on," said the caller, who isn't identified.

Police arrived in patrol cars within minutes and found Patel walking in his son's neighborhood in Madison, a Huntsville suburb of about 46,000 people near high-tech businesses, the University of Alabama-Huntsville, and NASA's Marshall Space Flight Center.

Video shot from inside one of the cruisers shows two officers walking toward the man on the sidewalk and attempting to talk to him.

"What's going on, sir?" asks one of the officers. "You're what? India?"

Police pepper the man with questions about what he is doing and where he is going, but answers are inaudible and someone on the recording is heard saying, "no English." Patel appears to try to walk away and one of the officers warns: "Do not jerk away from me again."

One of the officers, neither of whom is identified, restrains Patel by pulling his arms behind his back and then slams him face-first into the ground less than 90 seconds after the confrontation began.

"He don't speak a lick of English," one of the officers says as another officer arrives.

Madison Police Chief Larry Muncey said the officer's actions weren't justified.

"I found that Officer Eric Parker's actions did not meet the high standards and expectations of the Madison City Police Department," Muncey said.

Chirag Patel has told local news media that his father has only been to America once before and is visiting to help care for his grandson.

Attorney Hank Sherrod says the man was stopped and hurt at least partly because of his brown skin.

"I think skin color made him more likely to be a victim of police power," Sherrod said Friday.

As word of Patel's treatment and injuries spread, a site established on gofundme.com to help cover medical and other expenses generated more than $104,000 in donations by Friday night. Sherrod said Patel has no insurance.

eek

Perhaps this type of brutality will stop since the FBI seems to be getting more involved in the misconduct of police law enforcement agencies


“Transracial is a term that has long since been defined as the adoption of a child that is of a different race than the adoptive parents,” : https://thinkprogress.org...fb6e18544a
  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #1 posted 02/14/15 9:37am

OnlyNDaUsa

avatar

it is hard to know...if the man did not respond how could the officer know if he was ignoring him or what?


But even still that seems to be a weak reason to take such action. If the man was up to no good...maybe. But that is a judgment call the actor takes on. As the victim was as far as anyone can tell was not doing anything worthy police attention it seems like an offence to me.


Now this is not to be taken as justification by any means: it illustrates the need to learn the language of the place you are in. Or at least be more aware of your surroundings.



There was a case this week in Dallas. A woman at a red light and was rear-ended. She got out and went off on the driver and her and her boyfriend threw him to the ground. And she is a hero! She was given a new Van by a local Kia dealership. Normally that would be a crime. But the man had car-jacked the car and was in a high speed chase. So if the driver had been just a bad driver or maybe having a seizure... maybe she would have been charged.

In another case a cop saw someone holding a toy gun and the officer told him to drop it and he did not. The cop fired and hit a bystander. In that case I see an offence. Even if he was right to shoot at the gun holder he still should be responsible if the bullet goes astray.

Anyone for banning the AR15 must be on the side of the criminal as once banned only criminals will have them.
  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #2 posted 02/15/15 4:42am

2elijah

avatar

This is why these type of police officers deserve to get fired - bad training, bad decisions.
[Edited 2/16/15 14:26pm]
FEARLESS
  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #3 posted 02/15/15 8:01am

OnlyNDaUsa

avatar

2elijah said:

This is why these type of police officers deserve me to get fired - bad training, bad decisions.

what do you mean TYPES? why not wait until the actually violate a law or policy before deeming them worthy of being fired.

Anyone for banning the AR15 must be on the side of the criminal as once banned only criminals will have them.
  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #4 posted 02/15/15 6:53pm

lezama

avatar

OnlyNDaUsa said:


Now this is not to be taken as justification by any means: it illustrates the need to learn the language of the place you are in. Or at least be more aware of your surroundings.

According to another article the man came to the US to help his son and daughter-in-law with their 17-month-old son, who was premature and developmentally delayed, so he doesnt seem to have been here very long. Someone at his age won't learn a new language very easily.

Change it one more time..
  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #5 posted 02/16/15 5:48am

Beautifulstarr
123

avatar

Their actions were intentional because they can see the man is from India, and couldn't speak English. Also to think about, I believe some racist people would call 911,just to get their racist jollies off, by seeing you suffer. You don't have to do anything wrong but minding your business.
  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #6 posted 02/16/15 2:26pm

2elijah

avatar

OnlyNDaUsa said:



2elijah said:


This is why these type of police officers deserve me to get fired - bad training, bad decisions.


what do you mean TYPES? why not wait until the actually violate a law or policy before deeming them worthy of being fired.


What part of my comment did you not understand? The cop deserves to be fired. End of story.
FEARLESS
  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #7 posted 02/16/15 3:31pm

babynoz

Glad that at least in this case someone is being held accountable. sad

Prince, in you I found a kindred spirit...Rest In Paradise.
  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #8 posted 03/27/15 4:57pm

free2bfreeda

Alabama policeman indicted for throwing Indian man to ground

27 March 2015 3:54pm

: http://news.yahoo.com/ala...19651.html

A U.S. grand jury has indicted an Alabama police officer, captured on video throwing an Indian man to the ground, on a civil rights charge stemming from the use of unreasonable force, federal prosecutors said on Friday.

Eric Parker, 26, then an officer with the Madison Police Department, was seen on video recorded from inside a patrol car on Feb. 6 throwing Sureshbhai Patel, 57, to the ground after attempting to question him.

Patel, who speaks no English and moved to northern Alabama from India about two weeks before the incident to help his son's family care for a young child, was badly injured, said his lawyer Henry Sherrod.

Sherrod applauded the one-count indictment handed down late on Thursday, which charges that Parker acted under the color of law to deny Patel's civil rights, and which carries a maximum penalty of 10 years in prison.

"For the public to trust police officers, it needs to know officers will be held accountable," Sherrod said in a statement.

read more at cite: http://news.yahoo.com/ala...19651.html

wow, glad to know the cop is being held accountable.

“Transracial is a term that has long since been defined as the adoption of a child that is of a different race than the adoptive parents,” : https://thinkprogress.org...fb6e18544a
  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #9 posted 03/27/15 5:02pm

2elijah

avatar

OnlyNDaUsa said:

2elijah said:

This is why these type of police officers deserve me to get fired - bad training, bad decisions.

what do you mean TYPES? why not wait until the actually violate a law or policy before deeming them worthy of being fired.

The type of cops who abuse their authority, use excessive force, poorly trained, those who bring their prejudices to the job, just to name a few 'types'. Now that wasn't so difficult now was it?

FEARLESS
  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #10 posted 03/27/15 5:03pm

2elijah

avatar

free2bfreeda said:

Alabama policeman indicted for throwing Indian man to ground

27 March 2015 3:54pm

: http://news.yahoo.com/ala...19651.html

A U.S. grand jury has indicted an Alabama police officer, captured on video throwing an Indian man to the ground, on a civil rights charge stemming from the use of unreasonable force, federal prosecutors said on Friday.

Eric Parker, 26, then an officer with the Madison Police Department, was seen on video recorded from inside a patrol car on Feb. 6 throwing Sureshbhai Patel, 57, to the ground after attempting to question him.

Patel, who speaks no English and moved to northern Alabama from India about two weeks before the incident to help his son's family care for a young child, was badly injured, said his lawyer Henry Sherrod.

Sherrod applauded the one-count indictment handed down late on Thursday, which charges that Parker acted under the color of law to deny Patel's civil rights, and which carries a maximum penalty of 10 years in prison.

"For the public to trust police officers, it needs to know officers will be held accountable," Sherrod said in a statement.

read more at cite: http://news.yahoo.com/ala...19651.html

wow, glad to know the cop is being held accountable.

Good. Throwing Mr. Patel, to the ground was too excessive and uncalled for.

FEARLESS
  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #11 posted 03/28/15 12:26pm

uPtoWnNY

Beautifulstarr123 said:

Their actions were intentional because they can see the man is from India, and couldn't speak English. Also to think about, I believe some racist people would call 911,just to get their racist jollies off, by seeing you suffer. You don't have to do anything wrong but minding your business.

Exactly, but "the usual suspects" will always say just behave yourself and nothing will happen to you. biggrin

  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #12 posted 03/31/15 3:36pm

Adorecream

Why is anyone surprised, this is the bama possibly the most racist state in the USA, where they still name black people names like Cleophus and Virgil and have sharecroppers.

Incredibly this story did not make the news here and we foam at the mouth over redneck cops.

.

Bama's racism is even known here in New Zealand,when I was studying in Auckland (Which is our answer to san Francisco) and told them I was going home to rural Canterbury, people referred to that as Alabama given its poor record on the treatment of Maoris and Asians by dumb white folks, mostly rugby playing farmers with 2 years of high school education.

Got some kind of love for you, and I don't even know your name
  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #13 posted 03/31/15 4:10pm

2elijah

avatar

Adorecream said:

Why is anyone surprised, this is the bama possibly the most racist state in the USA, where they still name black people names like Cleophus and Virgil and have sharecroppers.


Incredibly this story did not make the news here and we foam at the mouth over redneck cops.


.


Bama's racism is even known here in New Zealand,when I was studying in Auckland (Which is our answer to san Francisco) and told them I was going home to rural Canterbury, people referred to that as Alabama given its poor record on the treatment of Maoris and Asians by dumb white folks, mostly rugby playing farmers with 2 years of high school education.


Truth be told, it didn't have to happen in Alabama, because incidents like that happen all over the U.S.
[Edited 3/31/15 16:14pm]
FEARLESS
  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #14 posted 04/01/15 12:17pm

OldFriends4Sal
e

avatar

moderator

Adorecream said:

Why is anyone surprised, this is the bama possibly the most racist state in the USA, where they still name black people names like Cleophus and Virgil and have sharecroppers.

Incredibly this story did not make the news here and we foam at the mouth over redneck cops.

.

Bama's racism is even known here in New Zealand,when I was studying in Auckland (Which is our answer to san Francisco) and told them I was going home to rural Canterbury, people referred to that as Alabama given its poor record on the treatment of Maoris and Asians by dumb white folks, mostly rugby playing farmers with 2 years of high school education.

lol I think Texas is giving them a go

But White people don't name people. Black people give those names. And there really is nothing wrong with Virgil or Cleophus (or Cletus for that matter). Some places in the south or in more rural areas people use certain types of names. White people have those names too.

#IDEFINEME #ALBUMSSTILLMATTER

A Liar Shall Not Tarry In My Presence

What's the matter with your life
Is poverty bringing U down?
Is the mailman jerking U 'round?
Did he put your million dollar check
In someone else's box?
Tell me, what's the m
  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
  New topic   Printable     (Log in to 'subscribe' to this topic)
« Previous topic  Next topic »
Forums > Politics & Religion > Indian man slammed down after caller reported 'black guy'