independent and unofficial
Prince fan community site
Sat 19th Apr 2014 8:37pm
Welcome! Sign up or enter username and password to remember me
Forum jump
Forums > Politics & Religion > My son is an atheist
« Previous topic  Next topic »
Page 1 of 5 12345>
  New topic   Printable     (Log in to 'subscribe' to this topic)
Author

Tweet     Share

Message
Thread started 10/14/10 11:08am

PurpleJedi

avatar

My son is an atheist

Sop yesterday, we were having a discussion at the dinner table (the exact topic escapes me at this time), and when my youngest asked something about God, my oldest (12 years old) says;

"There is no such thing as God. It's just a myth."

Now...we are technically "Catholic", but my wife & I are really agnostic and (other than having them do their First Communion) we don't really push religion on the kids.

So I asked him "where did you hear that?"

He shrugged and replied; "It makes no sense. All living things are made up of cells and molecules. No one made humans out of dirt."

faint

I'm somewhat impressed that in the 7th grade he has come to such a milestone conclusion all on his own (if he's telling the truth...I'd hate to find out that someone else has been whispering in his ear). I didn't lose my religion until college. But then again, jr. (at the age of 12) is a whole lot more pragmatic that I could ever be.

By St. Boogar and all the saints at the backside door of Purgatory!
  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #1 posted 10/14/10 11:23am

Vendetta1

He sounds like a bright kid.:-)

I am in the process of losing my religion right now.
  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #2 posted 10/14/10 11:36am

lazycrockett

avatar

He's lucky to get that shit out of the way so early in his life.

The Most Important Thing In Life Is Sincerity....Once You Can Fake That, You Can Fake Anything.
  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #3 posted 10/14/10 11:48am

NevermindAlexz
ander

PurpleJedi said:

Sop yesterday, we were having a discussion at the dinner table (the exact topic escapes me at this time), and when my youngest asked something about God, my oldest (12 years old) says;

"There is no such thing as God. It's just a myth."

Now...we are technically "Catholic", but my wife & I are really agnostic and (other than having them do their First Communion) we don't really push religion on the kids.

So I asked him "where did you hear that?"

He shrugged and replied; "It makes no sense. All living things are made up of cells and molecules. No one made humans out of dirt."

faint

I'm somewhat impressed that in the 7th grade he has come to such a milestone conclusion all on his own (if he's telling the truth...I'd hate to find out that someone else has been whispering in his ear). I didn't lose my religion until college. But then again, jr. (at the age of 12) is a whole lot more pragmatic that I could ever be.

Did you ask him "Who or What?" made the cells and the dirt?

you can't have somthing from nothing.

How can you technically be a Catholic and be Agnostic?

[Edited 10/14/10 12:01pm]

  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #4 posted 10/14/10 11:49am

NevermindAlexz
ander

lazycrockett said:

He's lucky to get that shit out of the way so early in his life.

LOL!!!

Nice.

  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #5 posted 10/14/10 11:50am

CarolineP

avatar

Smart kid! thumbs up!

Creator Hater
  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #6 posted 10/14/10 11:54am

damosuzuki

avatar

I like him!

I'd be very proud to have a son like that.

  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #7 posted 10/14/10 11:56am

CarrieMpls

Ex-Moderator

avatar

That’s about the age I figured it all out too. Smart kid.

I would continue to encourage him to ask questions and think critically.

  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #8 posted 10/14/10 12:02pm

NevermindAlexz
ander

CarolineP said:

Smart kid! thumbs up!

A Kid that Believes can't be smart?

  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #9 posted 10/14/10 12:03pm

NevermindAlexz
ander

CarrieMpls said:

That’s about the age I figured it all out too. Smart kid.

I would continue to encourage him to ask questions and think critically.

Gave yourself a pat on the back.

LOL!

Nice.

  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #10 posted 10/14/10 12:10pm

CarolineP

avatar

NevermindAlexzander said:

CarolineP said:

Smart kid! thumbs up!

A Kid that Believes can't be smart?

Bait much?

Creator Hater
  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #11 posted 10/14/10 12:10pm

Dsoul

avatar

NevermindAlexzander said:

CarolineP said:

Smart kid! thumbs up!

A Kid that Believes can't be smart?

Its a bit odd for children to be expected to assimilate any religious belief at all, i.e. no such thing as a muslim child, christian child etc. Nine times out of ten they will just be paying lip service to the belief their parent/teacher gave them.

  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #12 posted 10/14/10 12:18pm

Dsoul

avatar

  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #13 posted 10/14/10 12:27pm

MrSoulpower

Sounds like my son. lol My wife is Christian, I am agnostic, tending towards atheism. My son was exposed to both. But he uses reason and logic over blind faith. He neither believes in Santa Claus, nor does he believe in Jesus as the son of God or God himself. Children can be quite pragmatic when they have not been indoctrinated by religion at an early age.

  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #14 posted 10/14/10 12:29pm

namepeace

He's about confirmation age, he's ready to make that decision for himself.

[Edited 10/14/10 12:32pm]

Props will be withheld until the showing and proving has commenced. -- Aaron McGruder
  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #15 posted 10/14/10 12:30pm

NevermindAlexz
ander

CarolineP said:

NevermindAlexzander said:

A Kid that Believes can't be smart?

Bait much?

Not the intent.

Sorry if you feel so.

But your reply seemed like you were

saying the Child is only smart because of that one decision.

So I concluded that you believe the other side is not.

I was just asking.

  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #16 posted 10/14/10 12:32pm

Empress

MrSoulpower said:

Sounds like my son. lol My wife is Christian, I am agnostic, tending towards atheism. My son was exposed to both. But he uses reason and logic over blind faith. He neither believes in Santa Claus, nor does he believe in Jesus as the son of God or God himself. Children can be quite pragmatic when they have not been indoctrinated by religion at an early age.

I hope you don't mind me asking, but your situation sounds very interesting. How do you and your wife get along when she is christian and you are almost an atheist? I'm sure that can be problematic at times. Both my husband and I are atheists so I can't imagine how hard it would be for our marriage if he was christian and we had such different beliefs. I think it's great that you make it work but I'm just curious as to how you keep it working.

  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #17 posted 10/14/10 12:36pm

NevermindAlexz
ander

Dsoul said:

NevermindAlexzander said:

A Kid that Believes can't be smart?

Its a bit odd for children to be expected to assimilate any religious belief at all, i.e. no such thing as a muslim child, christian child etc. Nine times out of ten they will just be paying lip service to the belief their parent/teacher gave them.

Where do you get that statistic?

  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #18 posted 10/14/10 12:38pm

CarolineP

avatar

NevermindAlexzander said:

CarolineP said:

Bait much?

Not the intent.

Sorry if you feel so.

But your reply seemed like you were

saying the Child is only smart because of that one decision.

So I concluded that you believe the other side is not.

I was just asking.

I've seen enough of your posts to know that you must have known that was a massive, self-serving leap.

Creator Hater
  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #19 posted 10/14/10 12:39pm

Dsoul

avatar

NevermindAlexzander said:

Dsoul said:

Its a bit odd for children to be expected to assimilate any religious belief at all, i.e. no such thing as a muslim child, christian child etc. Nine times out of ten they will just be paying lip service to the belief their parent/teacher gave them.

Where do you get that statistic?

Sigh, you do love a good semantical, cryptical question. Very light on any actual substance to back up your supernatural claims though.

  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #20 posted 10/14/10 12:43pm

Empress

Dsoul said:

NevermindAlexzander said:

A Kid that Believes can't be smart?

Its a bit odd for children to be expected to assimilate any religious belief at all, i.e. no such thing as a muslim child, christian child etc. Nine times out of ten they will just be paying lip service to the belief their parent/teacher gave them.

I completely agree. We all follow our parents belief until we come to an age where we start to question things such as religion.

  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #21 posted 10/14/10 12:44pm

NevermindAlexz
ander

Dsoul said:

NevermindAlexzander said:

Where do you get that statistic?

Sigh, you do love a good semantical, cryptical question. Very light on any actual substance to back up your supernatural claims though.

Im just asking.

Is that wong to do here?

  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #22 posted 10/14/10 12:49pm

Dsoul

avatar

NevermindAlexzander said:

Dsoul said:

Sigh, you do love a good semantical, cryptical question. Very light on any actual substance to back up your supernatural claims though.

Im just asking.

Is that wong to do here?

Perhaps?

  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #23 posted 10/14/10 12:52pm

Dsoul

avatar

Vendetta1 said:

He sounds like a bright kid.smile I am in the process of losing my religion right now.

Congrats, REM have provided a great theme tune for that kind of thing...

  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #24 posted 10/14/10 12:56pm

trickster

i am a atheist to - my hole life. where is the problem?

like my mother said: "to believe is the same as not knowing".

  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #25 posted 10/14/10 12:59pm

NevermindAlexz
ander

Empress said:

Dsoul said:

Its a bit odd for children to be expected to assimilate any religious belief at all, i.e. no such thing as a muslim child, christian child etc. Nine times out of ten they will just be paying lip service to the belief their parent/teacher gave them.

I completely agree. We all follow our parents belief until we come to an age where we start to question things such as religion.

So our parents (the ones who raised us) beliefs are not valid because we get to a certain age?

If that's the case why does and faith last?

  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #26 posted 10/14/10 12:59pm

MrSoulpower

Empress said:

MrSoulpower said:

Sounds like my son. lol My wife is Christian, I am agnostic, tending towards atheism. My son was exposed to both. But he uses reason and logic over blind faith. He neither believes in Santa Claus, nor does he believe in Jesus as the son of God or God himself. Children can be quite pragmatic when they have not been indoctrinated by religion at an early age.

I hope you don't mind me asking, but your situation sounds very interesting. How do you and your wife get along when she is christian and you are almost an atheist? I'm sure that can be problematic at times. Both my husband and I are atheists so I can't imagine how hard it would be for our marriage if he was christian and we had such different beliefs. I think it's great that you make it work but I'm just curious as to how you keep it working.

My wife was raised Catholic, and even was JW for some years (because her mother was). She's a very smart woman and I can often see her in conflict with her faith, when reason and logic takes over her thinking, in scientic discussions, for example. She is not a creationist, which makes it easier. But yes, sometime we do have heated discussions, but usually we just agree to disagree. Compromise is a major part of every good marriage. biggrin

  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #27 posted 10/14/10 1:06pm

Dsoul

avatar

NevermindAlexzander said:

Empress said:

I completely agree. We all follow our parents belief until we come to an age where we start to question things such as religion.

So our parents (the ones who raised us) beliefs are not valid because we get to a certain age?

If that's the case why does and faith last?

Surely you can work these things out yourself. Some reasons would be: not everyone questions their parents beliefs, the believer continues paying lip service to the belief as a cultural tradition or even that they risk shunning from devout family members should they rock the apple cart.

  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #28 posted 10/14/10 3:17pm

PurpleJedi

avatar

NevermindAlexzander said:

How can you technically be a Catholic and be Agnostic?

"technically" as in; Baptized, Confirmed & Married in Catholic Church...took kids to religion classes...enjoy going to mass (usually on holy days) just to feel the spirituality.

"Agnostic" because I cannot accept the dogma at face value, and do not believe that the Catholic Church (or Christinaity or any other religion) is the end-all & be-all. Nor do I consider myself so grandiouse as to believe I can fully understand the wonders of this universe.

By St. Boogar and all the saints at the backside door of Purgatory!
  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #29 posted 10/14/10 4:02pm

Dsoul

avatar

You sound very proud of your son, I bet he'll convert you to his godless ways eventually.

  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Page 1 of 5 12345>
  New topic   Printable     (Log in to 'subscribe' to this topic)
« Previous topic  Next topic »
Forums > Politics & Religion > My son is an atheist