independent and unofficial
Prince fan community site
Sat 23rd Feb 2019 4:44am
Welcome! Sign up or enter username and password to remember me
Forum jump
Forums > General Discussion > NEW SUSPIRIA MOVIE
« Previous topic  Next topic »
  New topic   Printable     (Log in to 'subscribe' to this topic)
Author

Tweet     Share

Message
Thread started 10/23/18 10:38am

sexton

avatar

NEW SUSPIRIA MOVIE


Suspiria.png



Sooooo looking forward to it. One of my favorite directors (Luca Guadagnino) teaming up yet again with one of my favorite actors (Tilda Swinton). Who's going to see it?????? evillol

  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #1 posted 10/23/18 2:26pm

DaveT

avatar

sexton said:


Suspiria.png



Sooooo looking forward to it. One of my favorite directors (Luca Guadagnino) teaming up yet again with one of my favorite actors (Tilda Swinton). Who's going to see it?????? evillol


I'll be all over this ... though its going to have a tough job matching Argento's original.

www.filmsfilmsfilms.co.uk - The internet's best movie site!
  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #2 posted 10/23/18 4:47pm

damosuzuki

avatar

i'm definitely very much looking forward to it, though i may have to wait a while with it getting a limited release - films on that sort of roll-out often take a while to work their way up to my part of the world. that said, i'm sure all the success guadagnino had with cmbyn will allow this to get a reasonable push into a good number of theatres.

while i love argento's original, this is one instance where i'm quite ok with an older film getting a remake. suspiria was a very original, exciting movie, but like a lot of argento's films, it's definitely a bit of a mess - a glorious, dazzling mess, but a mess, nonetheless - and i'm looking forward to seeing what gaudagnino can do with it.

"Nobody made a greater mistake than he who did nothing because he could do only a little."

http://www.thelifeyoucansave.com/
  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #3 posted 10/23/18 5:18pm

damosuzuki

avatar

i'm also almost definitely going to see goblin's claudio simonetti this december. he's currently touring a live performance of the original suspiria's score with a screening of the film.


"Nobody made a greater mistake than he who did nothing because he could do only a little."

http://www.thelifeyoucansave.com/
  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #4 posted 10/24/18 10:55am

2045RadicalMat
tZ

The film was pretty good. I'd say it was a modern variation on classic GIALLO... so it was well made, well paced, but without as much color or sensationalism. A couple of films came to mind, but naming them will spoil the deviations from the original.

It's done in 6 acts.... as pretentious as that displaying is... and I think it's well worth seeing especially if you're fond of the original.

My only gripe is act 5 got pretty stupid and ridiculous for about 3 minutes. I could've done without the corny musical cue and "music videoness" of it.

It really cheapened what the rest of the film had become up to that point.

Acting is great. Scenes and reveals are great.....oh and... being that they sourced some of these dances from real things... I thought that the dancing was pretty bad. Maybe that's just me... but it seemed all over the place and seemed that it was held together and made more impactful primarily through edits.


But hey... each to their own. Saw it at the conclusion of BEYONDFEST 2018, this last Monday. Early show.

4/5 ....still far better than most stuff out there. BUt it's a slow burn....and not for everyone... especially those used to shit like Rob Zombie stuff

"Ahhh c'mon, BE A NOSE! " - WALTER PAISLEY
  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #5 posted 10/25/18 1:46am

DaveT

avatar

2045RadicalMattZ said:

The film was pretty good. I'd say it was a modern variation on classic GIALLO... so it was well made, well paced, but without as much color or sensationalism. A couple of films came to mind, but naming them will spoil the deviations from the original.

It's done in 6 acts.... as pretentious as that displaying is... and I think it's well worth seeing especially if you're fond of the original.

My only gripe is act 5 got pretty stupid and ridiculous for about 3 minutes. I could've done without the corny musical cue and "music videoness" of it.

It really cheapened what the rest of the film had become up to that point.

Acting is great. Scenes and reveals are great.....oh and... being that they sourced some of these dances from real things... I thought that the dancing was pretty bad. Maybe that's just me... but it seemed all over the place and seemed that it was held together and made more impactful primarily through edits.


But hey... each to their own. Saw it at the conclusion of BEYONDFEST 2018, this last Monday. Early show.

4/5 ....still far better than most stuff out there. BUt it's a slow burn....and not for everyone... especially those used to shit like Rob Zombie stuff


You sold the film to me right there! biggrin

www.filmsfilmsfilms.co.uk - The internet's best movie site!
  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #6 posted 10/25/18 6:00am

TheFman

I'm going to hear the movie soon! It's the year's best music.

  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #7 posted 10/25/18 6:51am

PurpleJedi

avatar

Looks interesting.

thumbs up!

By St. Boogar and all the saints at the backside door of Purgatory!
  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #8 posted 10/25/18 7:31pm

ufoclub

avatar

damosuzuki said:

i'm definitely very much looking forward to it, though i may have to wait a while with it getting a limited release - films on that sort of roll-out often take a while to work their way up to my part of the world. that said, i'm sure all the success guadagnino had with cmbyn will allow this to get a reasonable push into a good number of theatres.

while i love argento's original, this is one instance where i'm quite ok with an older film getting a remake. suspiria was a very original, exciting movie, but like a lot of argento's films, it's definitely a bit of a mess - a glorious, dazzling mess, but a mess, nonetheless - and i'm looking forward to seeing what gaudagnino can do with it.

I think Suspiria is a hilarious mess... of a bad movie! But not as funny as what the chained killer turned out to be in "Phenomena" aka "Creepers".

Argento movies and much of the related genre are like Tom and Jerry cartoons to me... the horror version. Those were the most fun rentals with friends back in VHS daze.

  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #9 posted 10/26/18 11:12am

sexton

avatar

Score by Radiohead's Thom Yorke is out today:



  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #10 posted 10/26/18 11:57pm

JoeyC

avatar

damosuzuki said:

i'm also almost definitely going to see goblin's claudio simonetti this december. he's currently touring a live performance of the original suspiria's score with a screening of the film.





Cool. I'm a pretty big Goblin fan.

As for the new Suspiria, i haven't seen it yet but i most likely will.

Rest in Peace Bettie Boo. See u soon.
  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
  New topic   Printable     (Log in to 'subscribe' to this topic)
« Previous topic  Next topic »
Forums > General Discussion > NEW SUSPIRIA MOVIE