independent and unofficial
Prince fan community site
Fri 17th Nov 2017 2:55pm
Welcome! Sign up or enter username and password to remember me
Forum jump
Forums > General Discussion > AncestryDNA - yay or nay?
« Previous topic  Next topic »
Page 2 of 3 <123>
  New topic   Printable     (Log in to 'subscribe' to this topic)
Reply #30 posted 08/16/17 7:22pm

luv4u

Moderator

avatar

moderator

kitbradley said:

I've been curious about this but something in the back of my mind always told me it was probably a scam. I always said if I had some extra money to throw away, I would send in my cat's DNA and see what kind of results come back. lol


I am not motivated or interested. I see this as a scam by way of making $$$.

I like researching the family tree but not like this lol

Edmonton, AB - canada

Ohh purple joy oh purple bliss oh purple rapture!
REAL MUSIC by REAL MUSICIANS - Prince
"I kind of wish there was a reason for Prince to make the site crash more" ~~ Ben
  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #31 posted 08/21/17 7:51pm

green2

Yah! I did it years ago. Don't give a crap about who has my DNA info...chances are if you have a cellphone and had 1 blood test in your life, your stuff is already out there!

Secondly, its great for people who can't do family research...not everyone knows who there mother or father are.

  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #32 posted 08/21/17 8:33pm

morningsong

avatar

PJ are you goi g to do it? Do it.
“Do I dare Disturb the universe?”
― T.S. Eliot

“Only by acceptance of the past, can you alter it”
― T.S. Eliot
  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #33 posted 08/22/17 6:24pm

benni

I've done it. I had ordered it quite some time back, but hadn't done it and mailed it back to them. But after reading this thread, I decided to go ahead and send it to them. I was a little leary about doing it, but only because I learned a few years ago that my father was not my biological father and I have no idea who is. At the same time, I am interested in learning what my ancestry consists of. So I bit the bullet and mailed it in. They said they've received it and that it will 6 to 12 weeks to give me my results.

  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #34 posted 08/25/17 12:03pm

Lammastide

avatar

benni said:

I've done it. I had ordered it quite some time back, but hadn't done it and mailed it back to them. But after reading this thread, I decided to go ahead and send it to them. I was a little leary about doing it, but only because I learned a few years ago that my father was not my biological father and I have no idea who is. At the same time, I am interested in learning what my ancestry consists of. So I bit the bullet and mailed it in. They said they've received it and that it will 6 to 12 weeks to give me my results.



Cool. I'd love to read your take on the results.

Ὅσον ζῇς φαίνου
μηδὲν ὅλως σὺ λυποῦ
πρὸς ὀλίγον ἐστὶ τὸ ζῆν
τὸ τέλος ὁ χρόνος ἀπαιτεῖ.”
  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #35 posted 08/26/17 6:13am

benni

Lammastide said:

benni said:

I've done it. I had ordered it quite some time back, but hadn't done it and mailed it back to them. But after reading this thread, I decided to go ahead and send it to them. I was a little leary about doing it, but only because I learned a few years ago that my father was not my biological father and I have no idea who is. At the same time, I am interested in learning what my ancestry consists of. So I bit the bullet and mailed it in. They said they've received it and that it will 6 to 12 weeks to give me my results.



Cool. I'd love to read your take on the results.


I'll report back in once I get the results. smile

  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #36 posted 08/27/17 3:12pm

CynicKill

PurpleJedi said:

How do you all feel about AncestryDNA?

For those of you unfamiliar with them...you send them a vial of saliva, and they tell you where your ancestral lineage is from.

I just saw that they have a special - $69 for the DNA report.

But I am weary about giving my DNA to a company that may be hoarding/collecting all of this DNA data.

Also it irks me that while they can isolate European tribes (Irish, Scottish, Northern Italian, Greek, etc.) when it comes to the Americas it's all "Native American".
confused

Anyway...has anyone here done it???

What say you, Org?

Ding

Ding

Ding

  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #37 posted 08/27/17 5:27pm

benni

CynicKill said:

PurpleJedi said:

How do you all feel about AncestryDNA?

For those of you unfamiliar with them...you send them a vial of saliva, and they tell you where your ancestral lineage is from.

I just saw that they have a special - $69 for the DNA report.

But I am weary about giving my DNA to a company that may be hoarding/collecting all of this DNA data.

Also it irks me that while they can isolate European tribes (Irish, Scottish, Northern Italian, Greek, etc.) when it comes to the Americas it's all "Native American".
confused

Anyway...has anyone here done it???

What say you, Org?

Ding

Ding

Ding


Unfortunately, my dna is already on file since it is being tested in an attempt to try to find the cause of a hereditary condition within my family. If they find it using my DNA I'll have a condition named after me ... :-/ But I'm hoping if they do find the cause, it might be something that can eventually be cured.

  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #38 posted 08/27/17 9:43pm

MoBettaBliss

my ancestry doesn't interest me

maybe one day it will

  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #39 posted 08/28/17 9:10am

morningsong

avatar

Sent and registered 23&Me a couple of weeks ago, they ask a lot of questions. Sent and registered AncestryDNA this week.

“Do I dare Disturb the universe?”
― T.S. Eliot

“Only by acceptance of the past, can you alter it”
― T.S. Eliot
  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #40 posted 08/30/17 8:37am

Lianachan

avatar

PurpleJedi said:

How do you all feel about AncestryDNA?

For those of you unfamiliar with them...you send them a vial of saliva, and they tell you where your ancestral lineage is from.

I just saw that they have a special - $69 for the DNA report.

But I am weary about giving my DNA to a company that may be hoarding/collecting all of this DNA data.

Also it irks me that while they can isolate European tribes (Irish, Scottish, Northern Italian, Greek, etc.) when it comes to the Americas it's all "Native American".
confused

Anyway...has anyone here done it???

What say you, Org?


The results from this sort of thing are so generic that it's a waste of time, and money. Avoid.

A-nis bidh fios aig daoine nuair a tha mi a 'mionnachadh aig dhaibh.
  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #41 posted 08/31/17 5:22pm

PurpleJedi

avatar

I'm still on the fence neutral

By St. Boogar and all the saints at the backside door of Purgatory!
  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #42 posted 09/01/17 10:43am

morningsong

avatar

*pushes PJ off the fence, to this side*

“Do I dare Disturb the universe?”
― T.S. Eliot

“Only by acceptance of the past, can you alter it”
― T.S. Eliot
  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #43 posted 09/06/17 9:09pm

PurpleJedi

avatar

morningsong said:

*pushes PJ off the fence, to this side*


falloff

By St. Boogar and all the saints at the backside door of Purgatory!
  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #44 posted 09/07/17 1:09am

benni

Well, I got my results back and it really doesn't tell you much. What it does confirm, however, is what I was afraid it would confirm, that my father isn't my biological father. His grandmother was born on a ship coming to America from Bavaria (Germany). My DNA only shows (low confidence) 4% Western Europe. With that close of a relationship and her being German, I would think there would be more Western European with a higher confidnce, than just 4%. It also gives you lists of people that share the same genetic coding somehow, that you may be 1st through 4th cousins. There is one that they are saying is a 1st cousin, but I know all my cousins and her last name is not a part of our family tree. So, I've messaged her to try to see how we are related. But here are my results. I'm a little shocked also because I've been told my entire life that there is Native American on my father's side, but....I have none.

Great Britain = 60%

Primarily located in: England, Scotland, Wales


Europe East = 16%

Primarily located in: Poland, Slovakia, Czech Republic, Austria, Russia, Hungary, Slovenia, Romania, Serbia, Ukraine, Belarus, Moldova, Lithuania, Latvia, Bosnia and Herzegovina, Croatia

Scandinavia = 12%

Primarily located in: Sweden, Norway, Denmark

LOW CONFIDENCE REGION

Europe West = 4%

Primarily located in: Belgium, France, Germany, Netherlands, Switzerland, Luxembourg, Liechtenstein

Finland/Northwest Russia = 2%

Primarily located in: Finland, Russia (northwest)

Ireland = 2%

Primarily located in: Ireland, Wales, Scotland

Iberian Peninsula = 2%

Primarily located in: Spain, Portugal

Italy/Greece = 1%

Primarily located in: Italy, Greece

European Jewish = < 1%

Primarily located in: Poland, Belarus, Ukraine, Russia, Hungary, Israel

  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #45 posted 09/07/17 2:11pm

Lammastide

avatar

benni said:

Well, I got my results back and it really doesn't tell you much. What it does confirm, however, is what I was afraid it would confirm, that my father isn't my biological father. His grandmother was born on a ship coming to America from Bavaria (Germany). My DNA only shows (low confidence) 4% Western Europe. With that close of a relationship and her being German, I would think there would be more Western European with a higher confidnce, than just 4%. It also gives you lists of people that share the same genetic coding somehow, that you may be 1st through 4th cousins. There is one that they are saying is a 1st cousin, but I know all my cousins and her last name is not a part of our family tree. So, I've messaged her to try to see how we are related. But here are my results. I'm a little shocked also because I've been told my entire life that there is Native American on my father's side, but....I have none.

Great Britain = 60%

Primarily located in: England, Scotland, Wales


Europe East = 16%

Primarily located in: Poland, Slovakia, Czech Republic, Austria, Russia, Hungary, Slovenia, Romania, Serbia, Ukraine, Belarus, Moldova, Lithuania, Latvia, Bosnia and Herzegovina, Croatia

Scandinavia = 12%

Primarily located in: Sweden, Norway, Denmark

LOW CONFIDENCE REGION

Europe West = 4%

Primarily located in: Belgium, France, Germany, Netherlands, Switzerland, Luxembourg, Liechtenstein

Finland/Northwest Russia = 2%

Primarily located in: Finland, Russia (northwest)

Ireland = 2%

Primarily located in: Ireland, Wales, Scotland

Iberian Peninsula = 2%

Primarily located in: Spain, Portugal

Italy/Greece = 1%

Primarily located in: Italy, Greece

European Jewish = < 1%

Primarily located in: Poland, Belarus, Ukraine, Russia, Hungary, Israel


Sorry about the dad thing. sad I do have a comment about the unusual 1st cousin connection, though: Perhaps she shouldn't come as a surprise. It could be she has a parent who was the sibling of your biological dad, whoever he is. (And therefore you'd have a common grandparent.) Another thing to remember is her place as your 1st cousin (as opposed to 2nd or 3rd, for example) is merely an estimate. Be open to the possibility you may have a common great-grandparent, not a common grandparent.

In other news, I've got some Irish and UK blood. Howdy, cousin. smile

[Edited 9/7/17 14:15pm]

Ὅσον ζῇς φαίνου
μηδὲν ὅλως σὺ λυποῦ
πρὸς ὀλίγον ἐστὶ τὸ ζῆν
τὸ τέλος ὁ χρόνος ἀπαιτεῖ.”
  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #46 posted 09/08/17 3:19am

Lianachan

avatar

benni said:

Well, I got my results back and it really doesn't tell you much. What it does confirm, however, is what I was afraid it would confirm, that my father isn't my biological father. His grandmother was born on a ship coming to America from Bavaria (Germany). My DNA only shows (low confidence) 4% Western Europe. With that close of a relationship and her being German, I would think there would be more Western European with a higher confidnce, than just 4%. It also gives you lists of people that share the same genetic coding somehow, that you may be 1st through 4th cousins. There is one that they are saying is a 1st cousin, but I know all my cousins and her last name is not a part of our family tree. So, I've messaged her to try to see how we are related. But here are my results. I'm a little shocked also because I've been told my entire life that there is Native American on my father's side, but....I have none.

Great Britain = 60%

Primarily located in: England, Scotland, Wales


Europe East = 16%

Primarily located in: Poland, Slovakia, Czech Republic, Austria, Russia, Hungary, Slovenia, Romania, Serbia, Ukraine, Belarus, Moldova, Lithuania, Latvia, Bosnia and Herzegovina, Croatia

Scandinavia = 12%

Primarily located in: Sweden, Norway, Denmark

LOW CONFIDENCE REGION

Europe West = 4%

Primarily located in: Belgium, France, Germany, Netherlands, Switzerland, Luxembourg, Liechtenstein

Finland/Northwest Russia = 2%

Primarily located in: Finland, Russia (northwest)

Ireland = 2%

Primarily located in: Ireland, Wales, Scotland

Iberian Peninsula = 2%

Primarily located in: Spain, Portugal

Italy/Greece = 1%

Primarily located in: Italy, Greece

European Jewish = < 1%

Primarily located in: Poland, Belarus, Ukraine, Russia, Hungary, Israel


Don't read too much into it, these things are pretty much just a geneological horoscope.

A-nis bidh fios aig daoine nuair a tha mi a 'mionnachadh aig dhaibh.
  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #47 posted 09/08/17 9:39am

morningsong

avatar

Well I know if my results come back anywhere near what benni's results are; I'm doing 2 test from 2 separate companies; then I will definitely know it's bogus, but from what I've seen it's close enough.

“Do I dare Disturb the universe?”
― T.S. Eliot

“Only by acceptance of the past, can you alter it”
― T.S. Eliot
  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #48 posted 09/08/17 2:09pm

benni

Lammastide said:

benni said:

Well, I got my results back and it really doesn't tell you much. What it does confirm, however, is what I was afraid it would confirm, that my father isn't my biological father. His grandmother was born on a ship coming to America from Bavaria (Germany). My DNA only shows (low confidence) 4% Western Europe. With that close of a relationship and her being German, I would think there would be more Western European with a higher confidnce, than just 4%. It also gives you lists of people that share the same genetic coding somehow, that you may be 1st through 4th cousins. There is one that they are saying is a 1st cousin, but I know all my cousins and her last name is not a part of our family tree. So, I've messaged her to try to see how we are related. But here are my results. I'm a little shocked also because I've been told my entire life that there is Native American on my father's side, but....I have none.

Great Britain = 60%

Primarily located in: England, Scotland, Wales


Europe East = 16%

Primarily located in: Poland, Slovakia, Czech Republic, Austria, Russia, Hungary, Slovenia, Romania, Serbia, Ukraine, Belarus, Moldova, Lithuania, Latvia, Bosnia and Herzegovina, Croatia

Scandinavia = 12%

Primarily located in: Sweden, Norway, Denmark

LOW CONFIDENCE REGION

Europe West = 4%

Primarily located in: Belgium, France, Germany, Netherlands, Switzerland, Luxembourg, Liechtenstein

Finland/Northwest Russia = 2%

Primarily located in: Finland, Russia (northwest)

Ireland = 2%

Primarily located in: Ireland, Wales, Scotland

Iberian Peninsula = 2%

Primarily located in: Spain, Portugal

Italy/Greece = 1%

Primarily located in: Italy, Greece

European Jewish = < 1%

Primarily located in: Poland, Belarus, Ukraine, Russia, Hungary, Israel


Sorry about the dad thing. sad I do have a comment about the unusual 1st cousin connection, though: Perhaps she shouldn't come as a surprise. It could be she has a parent who was the sibling of your biological dad, whoever he is. (And therefore you'd have a common grandparent.) Another thing to remember is her place as your 1st cousin (as opposed to 2nd or 3rd, for example) is merely an estimate. Be open to the possibility you may have a common great-grandparent, not a common grandparent.

In other news, I've got some Irish and UK blood. Howdy, cousin. smile

[Edited 9/7/17 14:15pm]


Hey Cuz! I've been looking into it when I can, unfortunately very busy time for me and I don't have much time to look into it right now. Working with a vulnerable population in SC to get them ready for the storms to come from Hurricane Irma. And yeah, it could be a relative on the biological father side. The thing is both my mom and dad are deceased, so neither can give me any information, and everything I've gotten from my family is second hand but no one can give me a name. Had an aunt tell me a few years ago that my father isn't my father, and it's something I had suspected for many years. But this is all very interesting, regardless.

  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #49 posted 09/08/17 2:14pm

benni

Lianachan said:

benni said:

Well, I got my results back and it really doesn't tell you much. What it does confirm, however, is what I was afraid it would confirm, that my father isn't my biological father. His grandmother was born on a ship coming to America from Bavaria (Germany). My DNA only shows (low confidence) 4% Western Europe. With that close of a relationship and her being German, I would think there would be more Western European with a higher confidnce, than just 4%. It also gives you lists of people that share the same genetic coding somehow, that you may be 1st through 4th cousins. There is one that they are saying is a 1st cousin, but I know all my cousins and her last name is not a part of our family tree. So, I've messaged her to try to see how we are related. But here are my results. I'm a little shocked also because I've been told my entire life that there is Native American on my father's side, but....I have none.

Great Britain = 60%

Primarily located in: England, Scotland, Wales


Europe East = 16%

Primarily located in: Poland, Slovakia, Czech Republic, Austria, Russia, Hungary, Slovenia, Romania, Serbia, Ukraine, Belarus, Moldova, Lithuania, Latvia, Bosnia and Herzegovina, Croatia

Scandinavia = 12%

Primarily located in: Sweden, Norway, Denmark

LOW CONFIDENCE REGION

Europe West = 4%

Primarily located in: Belgium, France, Germany, Netherlands, Switzerland, Luxembourg, Liechtenstein

Finland/Northwest Russia = 2%

Primarily located in: Finland, Russia (northwest)

Ireland = 2%

Primarily located in: Ireland, Wales, Scotland

Iberian Peninsula = 2%

Primarily located in: Spain, Portugal

Italy/Greece = 1%

Primarily located in: Italy, Greece

European Jewish = < 1%

Primarily located in: Poland, Belarus, Ukraine, Russia, Hungary, Israel


Don't read too much into it, these things are pretty much just a geneological horoscope.


Well, the father thing was expected, so I'm not upset about that. As for the geneological horoscope, that may be very true. However, I do believe the 60% Great Britain, as my mother's maiden was Gray and you can't get more British than that. lol The East Europe and Scandanavian do surprise, but only because there was no familial history that I'm aware of from those regions. But, again, that can be explained to not knowing one-half of my familial history. Either way, it's fun and interesting. Thanks!

  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #50 posted 09/23/17 8:12pm

morningsong

avatar

Got my results from 23andMe

84% African 80% West African (seems I had a grandparent who was 100% WA), I
13% European half Northwest half Southern
2% Native American
.5% Asian
.5% Unassigned
“Do I dare Disturb the universe?”
― T.S. Eliot

“Only by acceptance of the past, can you alter it”
― T.S. Eliot
  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #51 posted 09/25/17 9:07am

Lammastide

avatar

morningsong said:

Got my results from 23andMe 84% African 80% West African (seems I had a grandparent who was 100% WA), I 13% European half Northwest half Southern 2% Native American .5% Asian .5% Unassigned


Your thoughts?

Ὅσον ζῇς φαίνου
μηδὲν ὅλως σὺ λυποῦ
πρὸς ὀλίγον ἐστὶ τὸ ζῆν
τὸ τέλος ὁ χρόνος ἀπαιτεῖ.”
  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #52 posted 09/25/17 9:35am

morningsong

avatar

Lammastide said:

morningsong said:

Got my results from 23andMe 84% African 80% West African (seems I had a grandparent who was 100% WA), I 13% European half Northwest half Southern 2% Native American .5% Asian .5% Unassigned


Your thoughts?



I have quite a few, but I'm also waiting for my results from AncestryDNA to compare. I did think my European was lower and my NA was higher, I did expect the European to include British and Irish, but I wasn't expecting the Italian, and most definitely I thought my Asian would be higher because I know for a fact there is a Chinese ancestor, but they are at least 5 generations back, so I don't know. I think I know for sure who the WA grandparent is, which I found fascinating and I'd probably would want more info on. Plus with this test there seems to be a sliding scale, which I do not understand at all, I have to play around with the23andMe site a lot more. If I set it to a conservative setting some percentages drops significantly including my Sub-saharan percentage, my NA and Asian percentage stays the same, but my unassigned goes up to 30%. The percentages above are the speculative setting, which is how they originally came to me. But I do have ancestry from all over the world either way and it's funny seeing it laid out on a map. They also link to one of mtEve family groups and gave a brief migration path via trait markers. And there is a very tiny speck of Neadrathal in there, very very tiny.

Then there's the health stuff, which mine was pretty boring, I have no makers for anything except for 2 things, one dealing with the eyes and the other dealing with Sickle Cell Anemia which I already knew from all that testing in primary school. The other "traits" they listed seem to be spot on, except for the ability to taste bitter, I can taste bitter quite well.

[Edited 9/25/17 10:01am]

“Do I dare Disturb the universe?”
― T.S. Eliot

“Only by acceptance of the past, can you alter it”
― T.S. Eliot
  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #53 posted 09/29/17 2:35pm

purplefam99

i did the National geographic dna geno ancestry testing kit, has anyone done this one?

  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #54 posted 09/29/17 3:20pm

morningsong

avatar

AncestryDNA came in. It's slightly different. I would have sworn I was a lot more Senegalese, I favor a lot of people from there.

[Edited 9/29/17 15:22pm]

“Do I dare Disturb the universe?”
― T.S. Eliot

“Only by acceptance of the past, can you alter it”
― T.S. Eliot
  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #55 posted 09/29/17 4:26pm

purplefam99

morningsong said:



Lammastide said:




morningsong said:


Got my results from 23andMe 84% African 80% West African (seems I had a grandparent who was 100% WA), I 13% European half Northwest half Southern 2% Native American .5% Asian .5% Unassigned


Your thoughts?





I have quite a few, but I'm also waiting for my results from AncestryDNA to compare. I did think my European was lower and my NA was higher, I did expect the European to include British and Irish, but I wasn't expecting the Italian, and most definitely I thought my Asian would be higher because I know for a fact there is a Chinese ancestor, but they are at least 5 generations back, so I don't know. I think I know for sure who the WA grandparent is, which I found fascinating and I'd probably would want more info on. Plus with this test there seems to be a sliding scale, which I do not understand at all, I have to play around with the23andMe site a lot more. If I set it to a conservative setting some percentages drops significantly including my Sub-saharan percentage, my NA and Asian percentage stays the same, but my unassigned goes up to 30%. The percentages above are the speculative setting, which is how they originally came to me. But I do have ancestry from all over the world either way and it's funny seeing it laid out on a map. They also link to one of mtEve family groups and gave a brief migration path via trait markers. And there is a very tiny speck of Neadrathal in there, very very tiny.

Then there's the health stuff, which mine was pretty boring, I have no makers for anything except for 2 things, one dealing with the eyes and the other dealing with Sickle Cell Anemia which I already knew from all that testing in primary school. The other "traits" they listed seem to be spot on, except for the ability to taste bitter, I can taste bitter quite well.

[Edited 9/25/17 10:01am]



Morning song, I carry the sickle cell trait too.
  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #56 posted 09/29/17 5:06pm

morningsong

avatar

purplefam99 said:

morningsong said:



I have quite a few, but I'm also waiting for my results from AncestryDNA to compare. I did think my European was lower and my NA was higher, I did expect the European to include British and Irish, but I wasn't expecting the Italian, and most definitely I thought my Asian would be higher because I know for a fact there is a Chinese ancestor, but they are at least 5 generations back, so I don't know. I think I know for sure who the WA grandparent is, which I found fascinating and I'd probably would want more info on. Plus with this test there seems to be a sliding scale, which I do not understand at all, I have to play around with the23andMe site a lot more. If I set it to a conservative setting some percentages drops significantly including my Sub-saharan percentage, my NA and Asian percentage stays the same, but my unassigned goes up to 30%. The percentages above are the speculative setting, which is how they originally came to me. But I do have ancestry from all over the world either way and it's funny seeing it laid out on a map. They also link to one of mtEve family groups and gave a brief migration path via trait markers. And there is a very tiny speck of Neadrathal in there, very very tiny.

Then there's the health stuff, which mine was pretty boring, I have no makers for anything except for 2 things, one dealing with the eyes and the other dealing with Sickle Cell Anemia which I already knew from all that testing in primary school. The other "traits" they listed seem to be spot on, except for the ability to taste bitter, I can taste bitter quite well.

[Edited 9/25/17 10:01am]

Morning song, I carry the sickle cell trait too.



Neither of my children have the anemia so it all worked out. My kids now want their test done. But I'm not sure which one they want to do.

I considered the NatGeo one but iirc they don't give a lot of information about recent ancestry but goes further back, like about 500 or more years.

“Do I dare Disturb the universe?”
― T.S. Eliot

“Only by acceptance of the past, can you alter it”
― T.S. Eliot
  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #57 posted 09/29/17 6:58pm

purplefam99

morningsong said:



purplefam99 said:


morningsong said:




I have quite a few, but I'm also waiting for my results from AncestryDNA to compare. I did think my European was lower and my NA was higher, I did expect the European to include British and Irish, but I wasn't expecting the Italian, and most definitely I thought my Asian would be higher because I know for a fact there is a Chinese ancestor, but they are at least 5 generations back, so I don't know. I think I know for sure who the WA grandparent is, which I found fascinating and I'd probably would want more info on. Plus with this test there seems to be a sliding scale, which I do not understand at all, I have to play around with the23andMe site a lot more. If I set it to a conservative setting some percentages drops significantly including my Sub-saharan percentage, my NA and Asian percentage stays the same, but my unassigned goes up to 30%. The percentages above are the speculative setting, which is how they originally came to me. But I do have ancestry from all over the world either way and it's funny seeing it laid out on a map. They also link to one of mtEve family groups and gave a brief migration path via trait markers. And there is a very tiny speck of Neadrathal in there, very very tiny.

Then there's the health stuff, which mine was pretty boring, I have no makers for anything except for 2 things, one dealing with the eyes and the other dealing with Sickle Cell Anemia which I already knew from all that testing in primary school. The other "traits" they listed seem to be spot on, except for the ability to taste bitter, I can taste bitter quite well.


[Edited 9/25/17 10:01am]



Morning song, I carry the sickle cell trait too.



Neither of my children have the anemia so it all worked out. My kids now want their test done. But I'm not sure which one they want to do.

I considered the NatGeo one but iirc they don't give a lot of information about recent ancestry but goes further back, like about 500 or more years.



Do your children carry the trait. If they do and they have a child with someone who is also a carrier of the trait, then that child would have sickle cell. I believe it was explained to me that way. We as
Carriers don't have the disease just the trait. I'm am glad they are healthy.

The Natgeno, was really really interesting and yes went back far. Mine was more diverse than I anticipated. They don't give any medical stuff tho. I didnt want
To see that smile
  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #58 posted 09/29/17 7:16pm

morningsong

avatar

purplefam99 said:

morningsong said:



Neither of my children have the anemia so it all worked out. My kids now want their test done. But I'm not sure which one they want to do.

I considered the NatGeo one but iirc they don't give a lot of information about recent ancestry but goes further back, like about 500 or more years.

Do your children carry the trait. If they do and they have a child with someone who is also a carrier of the trait, then that child would have sickle cell. I believe it was explained to me that way. We as Carriers don't have the disease just the trait. I'm am glad they are healthy. The Natgeno, was really really interesting and yes went back far. Mine was more diverse than I anticipated. They don't give any medical stuff tho. I didnt want To see that smile



Honestly I don't know, the kind of testing they did when I was in school, they stopped doing when my kids were in school and I never had one done on them. Other health concerns took priority. I assume they probably would though, it's not uncommon. It's like anything else, both parents can have the trait and none of their children can be born with sickle cell, each child would have 50/50 odds, the same odds as being born without so much as the trait. It was explained that the trait is a defensive mutation. Unfortunately, it the combination of both traits that cause the disease.

Correction, 25% odds of anemia or no trait and 50 /50 of having the trait. I

[Edited 9/29/17 20:04pm]

“Do I dare Disturb the universe?”
― T.S. Eliot

“Only by acceptance of the past, can you alter it”
― T.S. Eliot
  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #59 posted 09/30/17 8:37am

purplefam99

morningsong said:



purplefam99 said:


morningsong said:




Neither of my children have the anemia so it all worked out. My kids now want their test done. But I'm not sure which one they want to do.

I considered the NatGeo one but iirc they don't give a lot of information about recent ancestry but goes further back, like about 500 or more years.



Do your children carry the trait. If they do and they have a child with someone who is also a carrier of the trait, then that child would have sickle cell. I believe it was explained to me that way. We as Carriers don't have the disease just the trait. I'm am glad they are healthy. The Natgeno, was really really interesting and yes went back far. Mine was more diverse than I anticipated. They don't give any medical stuff tho. I didnt want To see that smile



Honestly I don't know, the kind of testing they did when I was in school, they stopped doing when my kids were in school and I never had one done on them. Other health concerns took priority. I assume they probably would though, it's not uncommon. It's like anything else, both parents can have the trait and none of their children can be born with sickle cell, each child would have 50/50 odds, the same odds as being born without so much as the trait. It was explained that the trait is a defensive mutation. Unfortunately, it the combination of both traits that cause the disease.



Correction, 25% odds of anemia or no trait and 50 /50 of having the trait. I

[Edited 9/29/17 20:04pm]



Ahhh ok. I had a cousin who had the disease. Huge Prince fan he was by the way.
The DNA test are really fascinating tho, I have Jewish disporia
African, Lapland, Eastern Europe, Irish/English, Thailand, and few others.
It was at least 10 things so interesting!!
  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Page 2 of 3 <123>
  New topic   Printable     (Log in to 'subscribe' to this topic)
« Previous topic  Next topic »
Forums > General Discussion > AncestryDNA - yay or nay?